318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 377,316 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
rendoll911

Default Stock Amp with new HU

I'm currently trying to do some upgrades to my sound system, but i'm not really sure what i'm doing. I understand that my 97' has a stock amplifier to power all 10 of the crappy nokia speakers. I've decided on the ALPINE CDA-9856 which has a built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels). The question is how do i power all 10 speakers with a 4 channel amp? Is the sound quality going to be any better with just a new headunit if i have to use the factory amp?
rendoll911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
rendoll911

where are all the audiophiliacs??
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
JPerfect

I did not have a factory amp, that I know if... unless it's hidden under something I haven't taken apart yet.

I just hooked in my own amp for a sub and use my head unit (also an alpine CDA, similar to yours) to power all of my brand new door, floor, and rear pioneer speakers. I basically lowered the bass on all of them, and upped it on the sub. This way, the speakers can play louder without scratchyness. It sounds great.

I know nothing about stock AMPs.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
H3_2.1-ti

It will definitely work well, but you'll need an ouput converter.

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
rendoll911

i think all the 10 speaker systems have an amp under the carpet of the driver side boot area
Old 07-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
ubiquity

It would be very difficult to power the 10 speakers through the Loewe amp provided by bmw with an aftermarket headunit.

The setup bmw provides amplifies some of the speakers from the headunit, then splits the high voltage outputs and amps the rest of the speakers from the Loewe amplifier.

The amplifier itself its probably quite good, but the bmw headunit is obviously not the best.

It would be very complicated to set it all up with the Alpine headunit, which ideally wants an amp that accepts RCA inputs and not high-level inputs.

Personally I would just not bother about the rear speakers, which are only really there for rear fill and the car is not that big anyway. Then install a nice set of 5 1/4 comps up front powered by a or 4 channel amp.

This is what I have done and I am more than happy with the result.
ubiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
L84THSKY

All the responses I'm ready are really confusing the issue. I removed my stock head unit and installed a Blaupunkt head unit in it's place. I didn't add any fancy sub or rear amp to my system. What I can't remember for sure is whether the front speakers are powered by the head unit, and the rear by the OEM amp, or the OEM amp powers all the speakers. There is definitely an amp in the car provided by BMW.

The install is very easy, and doesn't require any additional equipment or bypassing anything. I'm very surprised by the replies I've read; I have very little knowledge or interest in car audio.

Let me ckeck one of my earliest posts, if they still exist, I know I talked about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendoll911
i think all the 10 speaker systems have an amp under the carpet of the driver side boot area

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
FATHER

+1, the stock amp is on the trunk in the drives side behind the carpet, in my opinion you fing better sound with a new system , you know new amp, speakers and radio.

Mods: Some plastic parts, ///M Wheels and me
FATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
rendoll911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHER
+1, the stock amp is on the trunk in the drives side behind the carpet, in my opinion you fing better sound with a new system , you know new amp, speakers and radio.
I figured i would get better sound with a new system, im just under a strict budget. Ive never even installed a HU on a normal car with out the fancy bmw amp and 10 speaker system... this is all sounding a lot more complex than i expected
Old 07-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
FATHER

well i remember about a one year ago when i buy my TI i change the stock head unit by a kenwood i use a conector adaptor and only match the color of wires from the radio to the conector and work better than oem, the audio was more clearly, but i think that metod not use the power of the head unit, use only the bmw amp, but work fine.The system is 10 speakers but is 4 channels system like others, the amp have 4 chanels thas is subdivided close to the speakers.So if you need to change the head unit only, i think the only you need is the conector for your car(about $20.00) and the new head unit...

Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
rendoll911

When you say i need the connector, you mean the wiring harness? Anyone know what wiring harness ill need?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
FATHER

yes, i talk about this...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...2fe11f3a68ae9a

or this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-ISO-ADAPTE...QQcmdZViewItem