318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 986,206 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 08-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #256
tuffruxury

hes online now if you want to ask him his aim is Jester4982
Old 08-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #257
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
So you guys think its gonna be out by monday? Dusten, have you heard anything?
I haven't heard a thing...I'm kinda curious myself.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #258
HuGo

i better not end up hearing, "we gave up on the product and wont be releasing it no more." But just incase they dont release the product i would like to thank them because of them ive been saving my money for a supercharger. Cuz i wanted this kit (the 100 HP bump) i started saving my money. If i dont get this kit, ill try to organize a group buy for the dasc. But i hope they do release their kit, i would really love to see a front mount on my car. People will think im turbo'd or so. Or theyll atleast know my horses are mean. And i would really love to have 240 horses. Common SEAM pull through!!

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #259
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
i better not end up hearing, "we gave up on the product and wont be releasing it no more." But just incase they dont release the product i would like to thank them because of them ive been saving my money for a supercharger. Cuz i wanted this kit (the 100 HP bump) i started saving my money. If i dont get this kit, ill try to organize a group buy for the dasc. But i hope they do release their kit, i would really love to see a front mount on my car. People will think im turbo'd or so. Or theyll atleast know my horses are mean. And i would really love to have 240 horses. Common SEAM pull through!!
Ok Hugo, I know we went over this on page 14, but here it is one more time.

This is what a air-to-water intercooler heat exchanger looks like:
It's a small radiator, not a big clunky air to air intercooler.

It will NOT look like this:

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #260
HuGo

air-to-water? The air turns into water? Remember i dont know this stuff. So does the AA Tuning supercharger for the e36 M3 setup is a air-to-air intercooler? Hey if thats how the intercooler looks like, thats even better, it wont look im supercharged at all. Does the replace the radiator? Will we have to take out the radiator for good or would we still need it? Im assuming that the intercooler is to cool down the charger and not the engine?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #261
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Some answered these questions already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
The 60 row heat exchanger is bigger. It has more rows of piping for the water/antifreeze to travel through which means it has more opportunity to cool down. So yes, it would give you better cooling capabilities.

The coolant resevoir would go somewhere in the engine compartment. We'll have to wait for pictures to know exactly where. Greg has said all along he isn't going to release pictures until the kit is ready. The coolant resevoir would connect to the water pump that comes with the kit, the water pump will have piping that connects it to the intake manifold, and also to the heat exchanger.

Distilled water is water that has been purified. In some cases drinking water is distilled water. But water such as natural spring water is not distilled. It just doesn't contain any impurities.

You would not have to drain your existing radiator. The anti-freeze and distilled water coming with the kit is for the heat exchanger and the water cooled manifold. Your existing cooling system will not be hooked into the cooling system for the supercharger.

ecu flash is the upgrade to the stock ECU to tune the system properly.

Fuel mileage should stay the same for normal driving. Under full power you'll probably get 15-20mpg. Most of these kits are setup so that if you are cruising at highway speed you are not putting that much boost and extra fuel into the engine.

The oil cooler would go in front of the stock radiator. Look at the placement of the oil cooler and differential cooler in the 357ti project car. It would mount very similiar to that.
Some additional information I found by doing a search for "air to water intercooler" on google. There is a lot more information out there, just dig in and start researching.

Quote:
There are two types of intercoolers: air-to-air and air-to-water. Air-to-air means that as the charge passes through the intercooler, the intercooler itself is cooled by air flowing through its fins. Picture your car's radiator but substitute the intake air where the coolant goes and you'll have a rough idea of how it works. In an air-to-water intercooler, the intercooler is cooled by a liquid rather than air; this liquid has its own radiator placed where it can receive airflow, hoses connect this radiator to the intercooler itself, and the liquid must be circulated throughout the entire system.

Each type of intercooler has its strength and weakness. Air-to-air units tend to require longer ducting to route the air from the turbo through the intercooler then back to the engine; this extra tubing might increase lag slightly on some engines and may also present interesting packaging challenges. Air-to-water units, however, can have significantly shorter intake plumbing; the intercooler can be placed in hot underhood areas where no airflow is present since the liquid coolant circulates to its radiator. This allows for simpler installation but at an expense of reduced cooling efficiency. Note that both kinds cool better when air is flowing through the intercooler (air-to-air) or the radiator (air-to-water); both kinds can benefit from the installation of a fan for low-speed operation.

Which type is better? Depends on your goal. From where I sit it seems that air-to-water intercoolers are used either for convenience--to eliminate the possible ducting nightmare of the intake--or for drag-only vehicles where a "one shot" setup uses ice to actually drop charge air temps below ambient... for a very short while. I think it is telling that a number of street cars which featured air-to-water intercoolers from the factory--such as the GMC Syclone and Typhoon--are almost always converted to air-to-air units when upping performance is the goal. Check out an issue of Turbo magazine; you'll see these cars with huge air-to-air units mounted below the front bumber (or else behind the grill and in front of the radiator). There's a message here somewhere....

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #262
96cali

Quote:
air-to-water? The air turns into water?
If you get the bobble head Jesus doll upgrade the water then turns to wine. Kicks ass at tailgate partys and baptisms.

DSeriously, it does not replace your stock radiator for the motor. Remember this is an add on, closed loop system meaning it has it's own coolant, lubrication, etc. I am not schooled at all with car mechanics or engineering either which means you too can absorb details and hold onto them. Besides don't you want to know the details of what you're spending 4 large on? No offense man.

I am also very much looking forward to this system and seeing Dustens comparo swap results.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #263
aparatchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali View Post
If you get the bobble head Jesus doll upgrade the water then turns to wine. Kicks ass at tailgate partys and baptisms.

Now that would be the thing to have in East Oakland!!

1997 318ti, meyle control arms, Bilstein Sports, BavAuto springs, treehouse racing eyeballs, Rogue Engineering RSM
1957 VW Oval window
Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #264
HuGo

Today is the day.....

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #265
mohaughn

I found this board where this kit was also being talked about... They gave up on it a month or two ago after the updates stopped... Kind of funny that this use this thread to talk about how over hyped the whole thing is.

http://www.teamzx2.com/index.php?topic=7443.0
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #266
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I found this board where this kit was also being talked about... They gave up on it a month or two ago after the updates stopped... Kind of funny that this use this thread to talk about how over hyped the whole thing is.

http://www.teamzx2.com/index.php?topic=7443.0
Nice find. I wish I wouldn't have read it all...

Greg - Any updates for us?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #267
kelso

so...the project was stopped over a month ago?...i would have bought this at some point in time...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #268
HuGo

so did they take a break in making it, or did they just completely stopped making it?

That link you posted, do they talk about SEAM? Cuz i didnt see anything.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 08-15-2006, 12:57 AM   #269
andyman7931

Quote:
so did they take a break in making it, or did they just completely stopped making it?

That link you posted, do they talk about SEAM? Cuz i didnt see anything.

you are aware there's 22 pages to read thru, right?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #270
HuGo

for those who already read it, can you point out what pages its in.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Closed Thread