318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,989 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
nickmpower

Default Can someone help me out with a belt clearence question?

I am installing a dasc on my e30 with no power steering and i am trying to figure out the belt routing. I am fitting e36 belt parts and am wondering if the belt routing will work without the power steering pump. Obviously it looks like it clears in the picter i have posted but i found others where it looks like it does not. Anyways, so i can try to figure out what i am going to do before i get the parts can someone check with a straight edge that a belt running from the crank pulley to alternator will clear the tensioner pulley (one with the arrow pointing to it)

nickmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
I am installing a dasc on my e30 with no power steering and i am trying to figure out the belt routing. I am fitting e36 belt parts and am wondering if the belt routing will work without the power steering pump. Obviously it looks like it clears in the picter i have posted but i found others where it looks like it does not. Anyways, so i can try to figure out what i am going to do before i get the parts can someone check with a straight edge that a belt running from the crank pulley to alternator will clear the tensioner pulley (one with the arrow pointing to it)

If it clears the big problem will be the load put on the alternator bearing. That bearing will get full load of all accessories and the S/C and will be broken very fast. The correct way in my opinion is to make a bracket and add a idler pulley to take the load were the power steering pump pulley would be. That pump pulley takes all load from the crank the in the S/C setup
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
nickmpower

Another Idea I have is to route from the crank to alternator, alternator around supercharger, then from the supercharger go around the stock deflection pulley thats mounted on the alternator. For tension I am going to replace it with an eccentric pulley.

I would make a deflection pulley to replace the power steering but i dont have any fabrication tools here at college.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Junk

Funny that clears in the picture, but in reality I don't think it does. I see why the reds line you drew goes toward the outside of the crank pulley where the AC belt goes..

I am looking at doing something similar just to eliminate the power steering and if I decide I don't need it, I can lose it for good. None of my other vehicles have it, but they are all lighter than the ti..

Idler pulley where the power steering pump goes was all I could come up with looking at it a couple times...

Your idea of going around the alternator and the supercharger..I'm not sure you'd have enough belt wrap on the supercharger..

perhaps some way to tilt the alternator down to the right side more?
Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk View Post
Funny that clears in the picture, but in reality I don't think it does. I see why the reds line you drew goes toward the outside of the crank pulley where the AC belt goes..

I am looking at doing something similar just to eliminate the power steering and if I decide I don't need it, I can lose it for good. None of my other vehicles have it, but they are all lighter than the ti..

Idler pulley where the power steering pump goes was all I could come up with looking at it a couple times...

Your idea of going around the alternator and the supercharger..I'm not sure you'd haperhaps some way to tilt the alternator down to the right side moreve enough belt wrap on the supercharger..

?
Belt wrap around the S/C pulley is there with the two idler pullies that come with the kit. The only issue is the power steering pump takes the big load from the crank pulling the belt and now you are using the alternator pulley at a bad angle and that bearing is not made to do the job. Also I looked at my belts and it doesn't look like it clears without the P/S pump pulley in place...Might be a illusion but just what I'm seeing right now.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
nickmpower

This is another idea I had. Also doing this same thing only going from the alternator to SC then around the eccentric. The thing is, the belt has the same force on it whether it is running around the PS pump or not

Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
This is another idea I had. Also doing this same thing only going from the alternator to SC then around the eccentric. The thing is, the belt has the same force on it whether it is running around the PS pump or not

In my opinion it won't work. The tension idler will be the first pulley from crank positive and will not work in that position. Just my opinion.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Xenocide

so would the logical thing not be to gut the powersteering pump and just use it as an idler pulley?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Just make a bracket and put a solid mount idler pulley where teh P/S pump pulley would be Doesn't even need to be a big pulley. Should be real easy to make with a nice piece of aluminum and 1 1/2 hours to make it fit real good, even put a nice look on it so it's custom