318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 989,520 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #1
iananderson02

Default Rotors: ATE power disc vs. cross drilled vs. slotted

So, i am about to gather the parts for the fron 325 front brake upgrade and need to decide what type of front rotors to get, my choices:

ATE power discs, or
Brembo or Zimmerman brand cross drilled, or
Something slotted

My concerns (in order of importance): brake fade, pad life, rotor life, looks

So, what are your opinions, which of these choices are best for resistance against fade (does drilling/sloting really make a real world difference), which eats pads fastest, what is the best choice in your opinion.

I have had ATE power discs (on my e32) and they were great, but they don't make rear rotors for our cars so when I need to replace the rears (plan on leaving stock, just upgrading pads/rotors) I will be forced to buy something that doesn't match, not a huge deal but it does look better when front and rear match.

I plan on using Axxis Ultimate pads, I have heard good things...

So, give me your opinions on the rotor issue and any other reccomendations for pads (if you don't reccomend the Axxis Ultimates)...

Thanks
-ian
iananderson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:25 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Brake fade is more dependent on your brake fluid.
I doubt if drilled or slotted are any more resistant to fade than stock rotors.
I'm a fan of genuine BMW rotors. But for looks, I like drilled. As long as the holes are cast.

Ultimates are good, Carbotech Panthers are better but more money.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 AM   #3
iananderson02

I have always used ATE superblue fluid, alternating with the gold each flush, Seems to be the best bang for the buck. I agree that most fade is probably caused by the fluid, then by pads, then finally the rotors but the idea of having a place for any gasses to escape more easily makes sense. Most if not all race cars run some sort of drilled or slotted rotor for a reason I'd assume.

About the Ultimates, I assume you've had them, what did you think: friction level, dust factor, pad life?

Thanks for the reply...
-ian
Old 12-24-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by iananderson02
About the Ultimates, I assume you've had them, what did you think: friction level, dust factor, pad life?
I have used Ultimate Axxis. The grab very well for street pads. They do dust a little but clean very easily. Nothing like Jurid or Pagid pads. The Bobcats dust even less. I'm a Carbotech fan and since I swap from Carbotech track pads to street, I like to use a similar compound. But you can't go wrong with Ultimates.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #5
L84THSKY

I installed ATE slotted discs with Axxis Ultimate pads this past summer. They stop on a dime, and the brake dust is minimal.

Quote:
So, i am about to gather the parts for the fron 325 front brake upgrade and need to decide what type of front rotors to get, my choices:

ATE power discs, or
Brembo or Zimmerman brand cross drilled, or
Something slotted

My concerns (in order of importance): brake fade, pad life, rotor life, looks

So, what are your opinions, which of these choices are best for resistance against fade (does drilling/sloting really make a real world difference), which eats pads fastest, what is the best choice in your opinion.

I have had ATE power discs (on my e32) and they were great, but they don't make rear rotors for our cars so when I need to replace the rears (plan on leaving stock, just upgrading pads/rotors) I will be forced to buy something that doesn't match, not a huge deal but it does look better when front and rear match.

I plan on using Axxis Ultimate pads, I have heard good things...

So, give me your opinions on the rotor issue and any other reccomendations for pads (if you don't reccomend the Axxis Ultimates)...

Thanks
-ian

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:58 PM   #6
DeadpaN

I just got the ATE powerslot rotors-haven't installed them yet. But at
bfbmw.com I got em for about 118 shipped for a pair of front rotors.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
iananderson02

How are the Axxis Ultimates cold, is there any warm up needed? Can anyone compare the dust and friction factor to mintex red box pads (thats what i am running right now). Sounds like power discs and Ultimates will be a good setup...
thanks alot
-ian
Old 12-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
How are the Axxis Ultimates cold, is there any warm up needed?
There fine. Nothing to worry about.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
iananderson02

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like pbr ultimates are the exact same pads as axxis ultimates (both are formerly known as repco). if this is true bfbmw.com has a GREAT deal on both the Ultimates and the ATE power discs...
Old 12-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Panzer_M

NO to ATE

I know a vendor that sells Brembo Sports C/D or slotted for 259 F/R

and these are real Sports not drilled blanks
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
Panzer_M

as for pads I used Hawk and Porterfield
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
iananderson02

Sweet, how bout that link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
NO to ATE

I know a vendor that sells Brembo Sports C/D or slotted for 259 F/R

and these are real Sports not drilled blanks
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
iananderson02

Why specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
NO to ATE
Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #14
aceyx

Neither slotting nor drilling will increase braking performance (aka decrease stopping distance). If you're going for aesthetics, that's fine, just don't get suckered in by the marketing. Both will chew up pads a little faster, but under 20%.

If fade is your biggest concern, go with solid rotors since they have the most material to convert kinetic energy to thermal. Modern carbon-metallic pads don't off-gas nearly as much as the organic type.

While BMW gets their blanks from ATE and Brembo, they also center-balance them again at the factory--the right way, by shaving material. If you get them from a dealer (CCA discount!) they're warrantied for a year.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
If fade is your biggest concern, go with solid rotors since they have the most material to convert kinetic energy to thermal. Modern carbon-metallic pads don't off-gas nearly as much as the organic type.

While BMW gets their blanks from ATE and Brembo, they also center-balance them again at the factory--the right way, by shaving material. If you get them from a dealer (CCA discount!) they're warrantied for a year.
By solid I am asuming you mean 'not drilled', and if so, I agree. If you mean without venting, I dissagree for your own reason. The heat produced needs to be dissapated somehow, and the center vanes do this for you. The majority of ti rotors are solid, meaning no venting at all, which is bad, because the heat you produce takes longer to be disapated from the rotor, overheating the wheel bearings and fluid (leading to the soft pedal AKA 'fade') as well as setting up a vapor barier preventing intimate contact of the pad on the rotor preventing maximum efficiency of heat transfer (which drilling and slotting is supposed to solve). BUT all that being said, the ti is a relitively light car, and the chance of getting the front rotors to such a level of heat is slim in a road-going car.

The cross-drilled holes are stress-risers BIG time. Even the cast-in holes (which are substantially beter) allow cracks to propagate, as well as reduce the mass available to transfer the heat (which I think is what aceyx was saying). If anything at all, I would go with ball-milled slots that extend past the pad contact area slightly, and they do not need to be wide, nor should you need more than one slot in contact with the pad area at any time, which means in most cases no more than three equally spaced, narrow (1/8 inch or so), shallow, ball-milled slots (the ball mill produces rounded corners, which reduce stress risers. Square edges are stress risers). Not much in the 'bling' catagory, but that's all that's needed to break the vapor barrier...

And, until I had the M3 motor in my ti, trying to haul that weight down from triple digits on the Meadowbrook Parkway on Long Island, I NEVER experienced brake fade on the road (and, by the way that experience scared the CRAP out of me...).

I also agree with the value of accurate balance, and the BMW rotors are excellent. poor balance will arrive as a weird harmonic at certain speeds that just annoys the crap out of me...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote