318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,001,214 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
doktordyper

Default Sachs v. Bilsteins?

I'm interested in replacing the shocks and struts in my '95 ti. The car came with the sport package and was manufactured in June of '95. According to the dealer the shocks/struts were Sachs/Boge. I'm not sure of the direct replacement for the rear shocks. According to BavAuto there is no difference between the regular and sport shocks. My BMW parts list shows two different part numbers. Standard:33521091629. Sport:33521091630. Any ideas? Does anybody have any feedback on using Bilstein Heavy Duty as a replacement for the Sachs Sports? I am keeping the same spring height. Thanks.
doktordyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

welcome, sport and standard shocks are the same I think, although they might have had different valving inside, someone else should chime in to correct me if I'm wrong
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
BMW_Hatchback

Go for the Bilsteins. Sachs are okay for OEM, but when they gets some miles on them, they show their age quickly. I'm not sure about the warrantee on the Sachs, but you know Bilsteins are lifetime. Give Bilstein a call and they'll fill you in. Great folks.
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
aceyx

Sachs-Boge units have lifetime warranties as well.

The Bilsteins will be stiffer, better response at the sake of ride quality. The Boge struts will be much smoother but still perform, a bit mushy (not always bad) and less feedback (again, not always a bad thing).
Old 11-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Mallard

Vehicles

Sachs provide both the standard and Mtec units.

The Bilsteins are the "Motorsport" options if taken after the retrofit from BMW

Standard number 33521091629
Mtech number 33521091630

Motorsport number 33522227488

which is a part of the Motorsport retro fit set . Number 33329066443

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Artem

Vehicles

Ok guys, sorry to bump this old thing, but I really want to know what is going on with the bilstein sport shocks and the OEM M=sport spring situation.

I looked through most of the threads here and I couldnt find an answer for a particular spec.

I know Bilstein HDs were designed for the OEM suspension but it was for a non-sport.

I also know that Bilstein Sports are designed for the LOWERED suspension (H&R kits and the like) - however, does it work with a OEM M-sport suspension or not?

I bought OEM Sachs shocks a while ago from pelican and now the rears are leaking because their part numbers were mixed up and I got a non-sport set of rears. I got RMA and store credit and I wanted to know about upgrading to a shock with lifetime warranty. I like keeping this thing as OEM as possible, so I would love to not harshen the ride too much...

lease let me know what you guys can thanks!
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
jca

You pose a good question. I bought Bilstein HD's from Turner Motorsports and installed them on my base model. Ride much improved, but not harsh. I would call someone at Turner with your question; I'll bet that they can answer it.
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Artem

Vehicles

Not a big fan of Turner to be honest, I lived within a driving distance from them and the guy who owns the shop sold me some used parts (with an attitude) for my E30 back in 2007, and in the end the front shocks seized up and front springs BROKE APART within a half a year - I have never seen anything like that. Springs he sold me were off an E21 with sport Bilstein shocks for it, which he said would work for my E30. I was just a college kid then looking for the best way to fix my car, and I have never encountered as much attitude in all of my experience buying parts anywhere, just not a good place altogether.

I dont give a $**t if you are an E30 M3 racing big shot, but when you give me attitude and tell me that it will work and give me $**t for asking basic questions, thats where I end a relationship with a company. at least the offset bushings they sold me held up ok, even though I paid dealer price for them.

He charged me $350 for the package, was offended at a possibility of negotiating and in the end I had to buy all new parts within less than a year - it almost put my 318is into a junkyard, luckily I was able to salvage it with a new set of H&Rs and Bilstein sports for a 318is.

Anyway, back on topic - thanks for that jca, I just want to make sure it will work, dont want that RMA to go to waste.

I went as far as to cross checking the part numbers on that kit from Mallard, unfortunately everywhere I looked directed me to a E36 coupe/sedan/convertible shock set.

Cheers,
Artem
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
wolferj-RIP

Artem;

I have not been able to track down the "motorsport" package Mallard referrenced. I am going to try and search a secret location for more info, but I am not convinced I will be able to locate those.

However the Sachs sport part # is correct 33521091630

If you just want some Bilstein rear sport shocks, I have a pair in my garage...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Artem

Vehicles

Hey thanks for that James! How much are you looking to get for them? I can then just have some store credit at pelican which is always a good thing

Cheers!
-artem