318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
rel

Default 1998 e36 318is spark plug probs, advice needed

hi, after going to ecp for spark plugs this afternoon, i have changed them, I noticed that who ever had the car before me spilt some oil into the plug holes, after taking plugs out and puttin new ones in, I started her up and shes misfiring (poppin) and generaly sounding like a bag of nails. I took new ones out and put back old ones and it still the same, i have took her for a quick run, and shes lumpy, with no power.

after taking old NGK four cathode plugs out, putting in what ecp gave me, which is denso K20TXR 5063 two cathodes, ive put each ht lead onto each of the four denso plugs and held on top of cam cover, gave the car a crank with each plug I did, all are sparking, put plugs back into engine, went to start her... same thing, lumpy, she starts first time every time, but poppin at idel. and lumpy untill she reached 3k revs.

lookin at NGK and denso spark plus, the thread is the same but the cathode on denso in taller. would this be ok?

now im scartching my head as to what it is. suppose to be going out to my sis bday party but look like im unabel to go cause of car

any advice mucho appreciated
rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Oil in the plug holes is a leaky valve cover gasket.

The denso part number you have is correct for the ti, I have read that these engines respond better to NGK plugs, but it shouldn't be that bad with densos.

Coilpack and plug wires ok?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
rel

how can i find out if its the coil packs? i have had each denso plug out connected to ht lead and held onto the cam cover and each plug and ht lead is producing a spark.

I litteraly took old NGK plugs out, and put denso plugs in, and now this is happening.

got a new cam gasket on order so that will sort out that issue

If the plugs are making a spark what else could it be?

thanks for the help spidertri
Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
familytruckster

Vehicles

Sounds like the plug wires are installed wrong. The factory wires are labeled, 1,2,3,4. One is the frontmost cylinder, four is the rear. (and the wire for #4 is LONG, it loops around #3)

As for the cam cover gaskets, make sure you get a kit. Generally the gaskets are sold seperately. The spark plug hole gaskets, the cam cover, and the bolt grommets. It's not cheap. About $65 usd.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
rel

Ah see on the ht leads ive got numbers 1,1,3,4, no 4 at back, no 3 2nd front back, no 1 is 2nd from front and again no 1 on the front cylinder. will try and change the two number 1 leads, going to do that now, brb

as for the kit, will make sure its complete with everything else you have mentioned
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
rel

right, just had a look and the ht lead that goes to the 2nd from the front is not long enough to reach no 1 spark plug??
Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
familytruckster

Vehicles

Guess it's not that then. Maybe check the wires and make sure the contacts didn't get pulled off when you removed them
Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
rel

ok bud, ill try that but surley if thr contacts did get pulled the when the plugs were out of engine, they wouldnt give a spark like they have done so?

also, whilst the engine is running at idel, i unplug no 1, and she goes to stall, the same with no two. but if i do it with 3 and 4, the engine keeps running, dont even flutter a eyelid. also dont know if this helps to know but when at idel, sometimes when i try to put the revs up abit, she stalls straight away, dead, not like when u turn the ignitin off
Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
familytruckster

Vehicles

It could still spark a little, could be contacting the wire when you pulled the plug and pushed the plug into the wire to test....

Anyway, nothing changes when you pull 3+4? Those might be switched. Is everything connected good on the coil side? I'd say check the wiring to the coil, but I don't remember what the coil pinout is.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
rel

nope nothing happens when i pull 3 or 4 ht leads off whilst ldeling, but if i do it to 1 or 2 she starts to stall, re connect 1 or 2 and shes ok to idel.

I guessin everything is good at the coil end, I havent touched that side of things at all, only took ht leads off to put new plugs in, reconnct ht leads to new plugs and started her.

call me thick, whats the coil pinout?