318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 347,661 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Etienne

Question Korman restoration

My ti is running just over 210,000 miles. She is still running great, but I'm starting to do some research/planning for her afterlife.

I don't know how many more miles she has got left, but I want to be prepared for that sad,sad day (or pre-empt it altogether), and have a plan ready to go. This is, hopefully, not something I'll be doing like next month or anything.

That said.

I love the idea of dropping a 6-cyl into her, but to be honest at this point in my life I am more interested in keeping her low-maintenance/economical. I don't have tons of $$ to throw at her, but I am not unwilling to spend what it takes to keep her on the road--I'm not looking for cheap short-cuts. I don't want to own a different car .

One idea I had was to take the car to a shop like Korman to have it "restored." This is going to be a lot more money than just having the engine rebuilt or getting a used one from Bav, but I like the idea of having everything checked out, replaced, rebuilt at the same time. Plus I could maybe spring for a stage 3 upgrade or something...

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts and I was hoping that some of you might have some constructive input here (positive or otherwise).

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
stormos

cali has 212k on his and still gonig strong
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

There is another guy on the Yahoo list with 245k.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
SDKmann

If you want to buy me a 6cyl then you can have my m44! Its cool that you want to keep your car alive instead of junking it.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Panzer_M

a 0 mile M44 is 3400$ from Bav

a rebuild kit is 1300 IIRC

a new head is 750-1000 if you want to go that route.

a used good motor..that runs a gauntlet in prices. 700-1500 depending.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
SDKmann

And a M44 from SDKmann is free with your purchase of a 6cyl.!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
BobbyDigital

I have 220k and its starts up and runs like a champ.
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:19 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos
cali has 212k on his and still gonig strong
unfortunately, it's been 212k for MONTHS now because i've been replacing a bunch of stuff and attacking rust on the underside. Etienne, i'm assuming you don't have that kind of time, right?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Etienne

Well I just moved to an apartment in Philly so the only time I have to work on the car is when I head to my parents' in Lancaster. The car is still running great and the body is very good shape as well, so no immediate concern or anything. I am willing to do work on my own, but I recognize that I have my limits .

So you all don't think that getting the car "refurbished" or whatever is a good idea? Waste of $$? Better to just change the engine out when the time comes? My worry is that since I don't have space/time to work on the car at whim, I don't want to have to change the engine one month, the transmission a few months later, then the diff... etc. I'd rather just get them all squared away at once (or at least know that the current one will run strong for a while).

Has anyone used Korman (or something similar) for anything before?

thanks for the feed back.

SDK, any 6 cyl? My girlfriend has a 91 Probe 3.0 that I might be able to talk her out of... hehe (j/k of course)

Cheers
SJM

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Phil Marx

Default Have you priced the work you want at Korman's?

I own a '76 2002 that was worked on at Korman's in 1986. The car got a Stage IV 2.3L conversion including new crank, forged pistons, steel alloy rods, double valve springs, titanium retainers, valves, Schrick 316 cam, Weber 45DCOE side-drafts, oil cooler, remote oil filter, 5-spd overdrive trans, quick-ratio steering box, Limited-slip differential, vented/slotted Alpina rotors w/tii calipers/hubs and bearings, turbo/320i rear brakes, roll bar, 3-piece Ronal Racing 15" wheels, Recaro driver's seat, Sa-belt harnesses, adjustable rear bar, stainless-steel braided fuel lines, etc.

Wanna try and guess what the invoice from Korman was on that operation in 1986 dollars? And this is without the parts for the Alpina big-brake kit being included. I'll give you two hints:

A Recaro LS seat cost $525 at the time. And a brand-new BMW quick-ratio steering box was only $373

Go ahead, guess!
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
andyman7931

they quoted me $9k for a turbo, so I'd be afraid to ask what your job cost.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

$5?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Marx
Wanna try and guess what the invoice from Korman was on that operation in 1986 dollars? Go ahead, guess!
Anyone else? Remember; 1986 dollars!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #14
Panzer_M

6000 USD
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Marx
Anyone else? Remember; 1986 dollars!
Ready for the total? Any more guesses?

Etienne, did you have any idea what you might spend at Korman?

-Phil