318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,480 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,398 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,640 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Fagerheim

Default Dead Power locks! Help!

Quote:
Mad-Machine in a earlier tread....:
dead power locks..

did the whole search thing and nothing I found seems to help..

the power locks on my Ti died. They will not work at all. I can individually lock and unlock all the locks with the key, but pushing down on the door button, using the key to engage them all, and using the button on the console seems to do nothing anymore.

this problem started a couple of days ago. I went to unlock my car to go to work and only the driver's door opened. Soon as I started moving, the rest popped as well.

Ontop of this, I can no longer roll up the windows or close the sunroof with the key.

I had the glovebox out and cleaned all the connectors to all the relays and modules I could find. I also pulled the driver's door panel to check the wiring, and checked under the hood for a bad fuse.. nothing.

So, to summerise: central locking will not work at all, but I can lock and unlock all the doors with the key individually. Along with this, the windows and sunroof stopped closing with the key.

And before anybody mentions the Comfort relay or the body electrical modual.. I certainly hope you can tell me EXACTLY where it is and what it looks like as I can't tell one from another under the dash
I got exact same problem right now!!!
Power locking dosnt work with the key....
Iv checked fuses, wiering and such...
Since I work at a BMW workshop I used the test computer to see whats wrong...
It tells me that the microswitch in the driversdoor, on the locksylinder is not working, well I took it out and checked it and it is ok, working as it should...
Then I used the test computer and tryed to force the power locking system and it worked just as it should... locked up and and locked... central locking will not work at all, but I can lock and unlock all the doors with the key individually....
Did u find out what to do ?
And btw.. when my stopped working the alarm went off several times, and i had to turn it lock up and lock the car... like 2 moths after it stopped working it worked a few times...

please help me with this!!
Fagerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Fagerheim

bump
Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Bobbak

did it stop working randomly or did you fiddle around with something
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Fagerheim

I didnt do anything... the alarm just started to go off when the car was parked outside my house.... It went off several times with no reason... And after that it randomly worked sometimes during that day... and at the end of the day it totaly stopped working... Didnt to anything else than drive the car normaly...

thanx alot for trying to help me...
I think this has been a problem on several E36... But i dont know what causes this, and how to repair it...
Iv read about several ppl getting this problem but never found a solution... and Iv had some E36's at the workshop that Im working at that has got the same problem... But no one have been willing to pay for us to find out whats wrong (in norway 1hour at a workshop is 175$) ! ...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Bobbak

if you know where the alarm is then try to troubleshoot and look for a short or a bad connection if you have an aftermarket alarm system it might be blocking the power that goes to ur doors. It's very hard for me to tell you where to look for obvious reasons like I've never seen your car and i live on the other side of the world but just check the simple things and you should be able to find it.
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Fagerheim

I got OEM bmw alarm that comes with the car... So i dont think its the alarm...
But since the alarm went of randomly and the BMW tester said the micrswitch in the door is dead whent its not, I guess its a bad connection somewhere, or the ZKE module is not working correctly... But this is the exact problem other ppl have had, but no one has told what they did to troubleshoot it / fix it...
I was hopeing this Mad-Machine guy got it fixed and could tell me what he did....
I could try switching the ZKE module.... but I got no module for the TI thats working...
im not quiet sure what to do right now... I dont know where to start troubleshooting...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
aceyx

There is a known issue with the microswitch for the hatch. Essentially the plastic piece wears down so it doesn't depress the switch enough.

The same might be happening with your driver door. Put a few layers of tape over where it presses against and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
Fagerheim

Well i picked apart the whole locksylinder... and its working, when i turn the key, I hear the click from the microswitch ... Iv actually had out the microswitch and pressed it by hand when I omhed it... (drivers door)

Will the powerlocks not work if the hatch microswitch dosnt work ? ;S
though it was just the driversdoor that had to be closed for the powerlocks to work...

I haven't checked the hatch microswitch yet... but I tryed opening the hatch ( while all other doors and hood was closed ) then pressing the microswitch totaly to the bottom and tryed to unlock / lock with the key... nothing happen...

Will the interior light turn of if the hatch switch is not working ? When I lock my car manualy it takes long time for the interior light to turn off...

But, when the car is on and im opening closeing doors all doorswitches works (just replaced drivers and passangers door switches)... But I stille havent checked the one on the hatch... Il try that next...

But why does the BMW tester say that the stiff contact in the drivers door dosnt work ;S ?