318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,480 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,398 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,640 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default New Toy (portable gas welder)

I just won this on ebay, it's somewhat local and I'm going to pick it up right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Should come in handy on a few projects I have planned for the 332ti
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Maverix

Vehicles

Congratulations!
Hope it has a leak and blows up
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
elchicano

Great find heard welding tools are expensive. So i guess you got a deal. Wish i knew how to weld, are you by any chance thinking of making a boser hood?

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchicano318ti View Post
are you by any chance thinking of making a boser hood?
Well I wasn't until you mentioned it, lol. Nah, I took some welding classes and did really well. I don't think I'm gonna do the boser, although I think they look awesome. I just plan to shorten my Rogue Engineering exhaust and possibly do some custom work to my fenders before I get it painted. Most people don't gas weld because it takes a lot of time and patience, but personally I think the quality is better if done right. TIG and MIG welds can be nice and small, but I think gas welds look cleaner. I guess it doesn't matter when doing bodywork though, because it all gets ground down and smoothed out anyway. Heck, even if I only use it a few times, I still have a really expensive cigarette lighter
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Marv17

ah. i got one of those welders, its somewhere in the back yard. the tanks are pretty tall. however they arent mine tho.... good find jess.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Bobbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I just won this on ebay, it's somewhat local and I'm going to pick it up right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Should come in handy on a few projects I have planned for the 332ti

hey jess i got a mig welded (non gas) if you need to borrow it anytime just let me know. I'll cruse down to venture and we can shoot some pool or something
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
cooljess76

Sure Bobby, you're always welcome to come up and hang out.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
angel318ti

Nice Jess, I've been looking for one for a while. have fun with it and hurry up and start on that boser!
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
cooljess76

I would, but my hood is carbon. I do have something rather big in store though. Here's a little hint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNcLw8YCklw
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
angel318ti

oooooh wide body huh? I got some wheels that you might be interested in if that's the case.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Hmmm... either you're going to turbo it, or you're going to add contrasting-color hood vents, like the yellow car in the photo. My money is on the latter since we all know how much you love hood scoops. :-D

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
Fagerheim

I woulnt use that to weld pieces of metal together...
But to cut them, and to create angels, widebody ets i would...
(I weld together metal plates and such everyday)
Helped out a friend makeing a E30 widebody some months ago... used that tool to cut som parts... and MIG to weld it on to the car...
Fagerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
cooljess76

I've used oxy-acetylene rigs to weld exhaust, steel plates and various other projects together. Why wouldn't you use it? Personally, I think gas welding is much cleaner, you don't get the splatter/slag that you get from electric/arc welding, it's easier to control the puddle and easier to control the heat. Sure it takes a little more time, but in the end I think the quality is worth the extra effort. As for using it to cut metal, yes that's another nice function of oxy-acetylene. However with the small tanks on my portable rig, you'ld run out of oxygen rather quickly.

Now when it comes to welding thicker pieces of metal, arc welding is better. For sheet metal, I prefer gas.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #14
Bobbak

i always thought you couldn't use a gas welder for thin sheet metal wouldnt you burn a whole or something in it? I'm not too comfortable with gas welders
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbak View Post
i always thought you couldn't use a gas welder for thin sheet metal wouldnt you burn a whole or something in it? I'm not too comfortable with gas welders
With a gas torch, you gradually add heat until the metal is molten and a puddle forms. Then you dip a filler rod into the puddle while simultaneously making small circles with the torch tip and pushing the puddle from right to left. If done correctly with the appropriate torch tip, pressure and of course a neutral flame, you will not burn through the material that you're welding. However, if you have your torch adjusted with a humongous flame and/or stay in one spot too long, yes you can burn through your project. The key is gradually introducing heat rather than zapping it with immediate heat. You have more control with a gas torch. If it starts to get too hot, you take the torch away. Once you see a shiny puddle form, you know the metal is 3000 degrees. With arc welding, you can't take the torch away, you have to either speed up or slow down which compromises the cleanliness of the weld.

Now with electric/arc welding, you go from 0-6000 degrees instantly. It's easier to lose control of your puddle as it's also harder to see your work if you happen to go off course. There's a very fine envelope with arc welding that you must stay within. If you move too fast, you won't get the penetration which will compromise the strength of your weld. If you move too slow, you'll apply too much material and can possibly burn through your work as well as running the risk of warping or distorting it.

There's nothing wrong with arc welding, just about everything metal that you use in everyday life was created by some sort of electric welding. I personally like gas welding. I think it's cleaner and I think the welds are of better quality. My welds truly look like stacked dimes and I take a great deal of pride in my work. Go out and take a look at some of the welds on your cars. Those were all done by robots and people using arc welders. While those welds are strong and functional, I say why not make it look clean too. When I used to work in the bike industry, I had many customers ask me why one bike cost 500 dollars and the other cost 5000? The answer was staring them right in the face. After pointing out the welds and the difference in quality and appearance, the answer was clear. The expensive bikes were usually TIG welded, which is very similar to gas welding in that you use a torch to make a puddle and dip a rod into it by hand instead of the current actually passing through the rod. The only difference is that a TIG weld utilizes an electric torch while gas utilizes well, gas. Good workmanship is not only functional, but is aesthetically pleasing to look at as well.