318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Differentials

Notices

Differentials Limit Slip, gear ratio discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-22-2004, 04:12 AM   #1
bimmerboi318

Default clunking from rear end

not a fun saturday night....

i noticed tonight a faint clunking from the rear of my ti tonight on decceleration. i didnt think much of it until it became louder. whenever i let off the gas, it sounds like someone is knocking on the underside of my car several times per second. i think its going the same speed as the driveshaft...but i could be wrong and it could match with the wheel speed. i've been told it could be a worn cv shaft, but im worried it might be a differential issue. i thought it might be a universal in my driveshaft, but it only does it under decel and there doesnt seem to be any driveability problems. no noticable vibrations, doesnt pull, etc...

if anyone has ANY info, please help me out here. im putting the car up on the lift tomorrow, but im a tad nervous about it. this is the first, not-so-good, noise i've heard from my car EVER.

thanks.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:33 AM   #2
motorsport

If it is only on the deccel I highly doubt it is CV shaft, I think your right it might be torn up gears in your rear end, for that i would suggest a junk yard swap. If you have a couple buddies help and have access to a lift it isnt too bad.
motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
bimmerboi318

well, i put the car on the lift yesterday and put it in 3rd and ran it while i inspected under it. the clunking was very noticable doing this and seemed to be coming from the front of the diff (UGHHH). upon further inspection (with the car NOT running) i found some play in the rear universal joint on the driveshaft. enough to make some noise. well i thought "phew, what a relief" until i remembered reading that the universals are not servicable...i need a new driveshaft. i felt around and didnt notice any play on the pinion shaft on the diff, although i cant be 100% sure there's no problem in it. i noticed some scraping noise from the sides of the diff, where the carrier bearings are, using a stethescope...but who knows how long its been doing that or if its normal.

so...my planned actions

1. replace driveshaft and hope it fixes noise

2. if it doesnt, replace diff...with a 3.90:1 lsd
others...
Old 08-26-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
motorsport

that is a good plan, and if it is the diff..you get an upgrade
motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:25 AM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

Guibo is OK??

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
bimmerboi318

yes the guibo is fine to my surprise. i always joked about the germans using a rubber disc instead of a universal in the front of the driveshaft...but it lasted longer than the u-joint! i will replace that with the shaft. i located a shaft from a ti with 23000 miles from a junkyard in north carolina for only 100 bucks. so that should be fine from the sounds of it. we'll see what happens.
others...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
mrnine

Default Clicking noise in rear end...cv joint? diff? wheel bearing?

Had some strange noises on my way home tonight after several hours of driving. Sound started after a couple hours of 75mph driving on the WV turnpike.

First noise sounded like a clunk from right rear (or maybe center) as if I had hit something in the road, though I didn't feel anything. Over the next 10 minutes several more random clunk/bangs like this. Looked underneath; everything looks perfect. CV boots intact, etc.

Limp toward home slowing my average to 55mph with several stops to confirm that things still look intact. Seems OK. Then the sound becomes more rhythmic clicking, much more consistent with a cv joint. The thing is, it's completely random and comes and goes. I drove for maybe 15 miles with no sound, then clicking came on immediately and loud. Then soft clicking for the next 15 miles 'til I got home.

It doesn't seem to me to vary in any way with acceleration or deceleration. I'm about to go out for a spin right now to try to get a better feel for it.

I'm starting to think diff. First major mechanical sounds from this car ever. Mileage is at just short of 130k. I changed diff fluid at around 100k so admittedly I was due if not overdue. Is next best step to drain the fluid and look for metal or does anyone have any other ideas?
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
mrnine

What was the outcome with this? Did it fix your problem? I've got some similar clunking/clicking I'm trying to diagnose.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 AM   #9
mrnine

Just to provide a bit more info...it seems to me that turning and braking have no effect on this sound. It's doing it fairly consistently now. The click is significant enough that I can feel it's pulse very slightly in my palm through the stick shift. I can't seem to get it to do it under heavy acceleration but that could just be that I can't hear it over the engine. It seems slightly more inclined to do it under deceleration and coasting. I put my windows down on my street and went 5-10mph and it seems that it would be loud enough that you would hear it outside of the vehicle fairly easily.

I have a busy day tomorrow but maybe I'll have time to run it to my friend's shop and get him to put it on the lift and see what we see/hear. Otherwise maybe I'll jack stand it tomorrow night and give it a listen.

Anyone who has any insight, I'd apprecaiate it.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

• shock mounts
  • drive shaft center load bearing
  • guibo
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
mrnine

I'm not sure about shock mounts simply because the sound is currently so consistent with something that is making revolutions. Center load bearing or guibo would be more likely, but why should I be more inclined to expect that than say a cv joint? I don't even really know anything about these guibos. There had been a link to Pelican with replacement instructions but it seems to be an expired link. How can I check it? Would it be at all obvious in terms of visible wear if it was going bad?

The sound is such that the first time I heard it and it was acting more consistent, I was looking to see if something had dropped onto an axle and was rubbing somewhere.

Thx!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #12
mrnine

I found the proper DIY link to Pelican for the guibo swap. The pics showed me what to look for to identify a failing guibo. I'll look at that and see what I see.

I still have fears though that it's a differential. Certainly someone on here has had a similar failure and can provide some insight. To reiterate from page 1:

- Started as a clunk
- Became more like a rhythmic clicking like a cv joint
- Seems slightly less inclined to do it on hard accel; turns make no difference, braking makes no difference
- Although it is rhythmic, it is inconsistent; sometimes louder than others
- Car has 126k and has been otherwise well maintained
Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
1996 328ti

Vehicles

When I had a bad center load bearing I heard a noise only in reverse.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
weezer

Definitely, absolutely....110% CV joint.
I have had many experiences with these when worn. Sometimes the clicking sound only happens when left/right turn, depending on which side, or deccel or accel......but when it clicks........always CVs.
When replacing them.......it is way cheaper on the labor to get a full halfshaft assembly and replace both ends of the CVs. Yep....two CVs for each halfshaft: on at the wheel and the other at the diff. So, when replacing the full halfshaft, you're replacing both.....who knows the other might be worn also. The labor cost to disassemble the halfshaft and only replace on CV is the same. If you buy a remanufactured halfshaft (1/2 of OEM price or less). If guibo or other center shaft issues, vibrations will be more prevalent.
Good Luck!

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #15
mrnine

Oh weezer, how I wish you were 110% definitely, absolutely right.

BUT...unfortunately, I decided to drain the diff and found a good bit of metal gear filings in there. Bad news...I'm bummed.

I know, I know...opportunity for an upgrade! But it sure don't fit my budget very well right now. I had always thought I'd look into an E30 LSD; I'm super busy though. Is it really that much more work to replace the half shafts on the swap? It seems putting in an E36 LSD would be less work.

But I guess the trick would be actually finding one. I'm feeling like this is going to put my ti out of commission for awhile 'til i sort all this out.