318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 104,464 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,532 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,834 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
nigeltee

Default Come on the Brits

Hi there, I'm Nigel, just signed up to the board, thought i would say hello, and let you know (if your interested) that i am currently drying out my 98 audi a4after an internal water leak and am hoping to chop it in against a 318ti in the coming month.

My wife has a fiesta, and 2 cars is a complete luxury now we are married, we are going to get rid of both our cars and get something in between. Hopefully, the wife will get on alright with the compact as she isnt very confident in anything bigger than her fiesta. She has driven the audi, but at night in a contra flow it suddenly felt very big.

I am gonna look around the forum and see whats happening.

I used to have a 320i SE which i owned for 5 years, so hopefully i will be able to put something back into the forum later on.

Safe driving

Nige
nigeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
halek

welcome aboard Nigel,
try to get a 'sport' if you can. You get m-tech suspension,sports seats,bigger wheels & a body kit all factory fitted.

Your mrs will be fine with a ti, easy to drive & a peice of piss to park due to the chopped off rear.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
PENVermillion

I'm usually pretty good at deciphering brit-speak, but you lost me on "in a contra flow".

And yeah, parking a ti isn't too bad, because the car ends just a few inches past the glass. I can handle it ok, and I'm practically retarded when it comes to going backwards in a car.
PENVermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
96cali

LOL, most women here want a bigger car so they can feel confident. Or maybe just protected. Either way- welcome!

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
stormos

i'm english and i don't know contra-flow either
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos
i'm english and i don't know contra-flow either
Is it a bicycle lane?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
halek

A contra-flow is when they close one single directional carriageway/highway, usually for roadworks & direct all it's traffic onto the the carriageway carrying traffic heading in the other direction. Usually they put a line of plastic road cones down the middle of the road to separate the two streams of traffic. They can get a bit hairy when you get oncomming big trucks comming at you as the road width is reduced.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
AlaskaBlue

From when my family went to england we rented a Scorpio the first time which is a medium sized car in the US, but felt gigantic on UK roads. The next time we went back we got a Golf Diesel and it was about right for size. The golf was the inspiration for my dad getting the ti in 1995. Good old England can chaulk up the credit for me having the ti now. I would say the ti is roughly the same size as the golf diesel.

You guys have some two lane roads the seem like American one lane.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
2ndBimmer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
You guys have some two lane roads the seem like American one lane.
I saw semis out near Berlin on roads whose 'lanes' (if you can call them that) were more apt for a bicycle path.
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Panzer_M

cheers'
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
nigeltee

yep, contra flow is just like halek says. I have to say, the lane felt tight and i was in the passenger seat. We had just been on the other carriageway and when we crossed back over, the outer two lanes felt like 6ft wide, then a row of cones and then oncoming traffic, and it was dark. Poor lass.

If you think the general roads are tight, you should come for a ride round the lanes. Where i live in North Devon, there are plenty of single track roads and in summer, the hedges are brushing both wing mirrors simultaneously!!

Gotta be confident on your size down here.

Halek, i would love a ti sport, but am reckoning on a 5k budget and dont want something thats been thrashed. I have seen ti's and se's with 70k on but there all too far from where we live. : (

Thanks for the welcome. I am well pleased that my search for common problems hasnt shown up anything (unless you know different). Am checking for water leaks.

Safe driving.

Nige
Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltee
If you think the general roads are tight, you should come for a ride round the lanes. Where i live in North Devon, there are plenty of single track roads and in summer, the hedges are brushing both wing mirrors simultaneously!!

Nige
We were actually around there. We drove down roads almost exactly like that. Some though had the stone fences instead of hedges.

Good luck finding that ti though. I think you will love it.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
davep-uk

Quote:
yep, contra flow is just like halek says. I have to say, the lane felt tight and i was in the passenger seat. We had just been on the other carriageway and when we crossed back over, the outer two lanes felt like 6ft wide, then a row of cones and then oncoming traffic, and it was dark. Poor lass.

Gotta be confident on your size down here.

Halek, i would love a ti sport, but am reckoning on a 5k budget and dont want something thats been thrashed. I have seen ti's and se's with 70k on but there all too far from where we live. : (

Thanks for the welcome. I am well pleased that my search for common problems hasnt shown up anything (unless you know different). Am checking for water leaks.

Safe driving.

Nige
welcome..... i know i'm a bit late in saying but ive just got back from a lovely week in Devon. Exeter to be precise. but anyway, for 5k you will definately be able to pick yourself up a really nice Ti. ive got a '96 sport with M-tech kit and 90k on the clock, full BMW servce for £2700 so you should be laughing.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
GREX1969

Quote:
Nige, for that money you should easily find a decent model. I picked mine up my 99 m-spec in the summer for around 6k with only 52k on the clock and all the extras as seen. However I looked at loads before I found the right one. Be careful there are a lot of chav'd ones that have been thrashed.
GREX1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
nigeltee

Dave, where did you find that little gem? 2700 for a sport?! sounds sweet. It will definitely just be a case of waiting for the right one. i dont want to rush into this one, as i was kind of too keen to have an audi sport and in retrospect, wish i had never bothered.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This seems like a good place to be.
After browsing the forums, i have already been thinking about doing stuff to the car, i havent even got it yet.

Did you know hids4u(?) (advertised on this site somewhere) have got xenon kits for 225? thats a good price, currently its 180 quid plus shipping form the states.

Nige