318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,281 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,219 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,460 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
wv318ti

Default Homemade Mass Air Intake for M44

Are some of you like me and too cheap to spend money on some things. Especially when it comes to the cone filter intake what you can get from K&N, AEM, and who ever else may sell it. I am, I just couldn’t bring myself around to spending 200 hundred or more dollars for one. I’d rather be buying other things for the car and saving for a supercharger. I came across this site one day and thought maybe I could do it for the ti. This is the link so you can have a basic idea if you can’t understand what I’ve got. As long as you’re not a weight weenie this should work for you in giving the car a little bit of power and more grunty sound when on the gas. It’s great for the guy on a budget that just loves to drive and hear his car. Plus if you have the ellipsoid style lights you’ll have no problem in adding this.
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/h...iles/HDCAI.htm

I pulled out the Air Box and the air duck that goes up and over the radiator because it won’t be needed you also know that the smog filter has the hose that comes off it and into the side of your air box. So unless you really want to do some jerry rigging I suggest keeping the factory hose in the unit or if you have one laying around that fits the smog filter just attach it, and cut it to the size as desired. Buy a hose clamp or 2 and mini air filter from Advanced auto. Witch can be found on their import tuner wall with the other things you see guys buzzing around town with the junk on their cars.

I measured the inlet hose to get an idea on size and what I would have to buy that would work. It came out to just a little larger the 2 inches. So off to Lowes and Advanced I went.

First off I got the sewage pipe( 90 deg. Elbow long turn) $4.33 from lows. I got it in black so there is no need to paint. Then buy a rubber coupling to fit from a 2” to 3” this will take slight modification on the 2” side to make it fit around the end of the airflow meter. Just shave out a little of the inside all around with a sharp knife and if should fit good and snug. You may also need to do it around the other end that fits on the pipe.

In Advanced find the air filters and I went with the APC filter because it was the cheapest and looked like it would fit. Plus came with 3 different size rings so that you could get an exact fit, $24.94, pick up a small matching filter for your smog emissions, I picked up the high flow one so it could get as much air as possible,$9.88 all you should need now is hose clamps that will fit around the filter’s, coupling and the smog hose if needed, and some electric tape.

For the temperature sensor I managed to find another hose that it would fit good and snug in. Witch it measures out a little over a half inch long with a half inch opening that will hold the temperature sensor good and snug.

BUILDING

First off I took a piece of sewage pipe and drilled a hole in the side, unfortunitally I didn’t have a large enough bit to fit the hose so I needed to file it out till the hose would fit. Then I took the pipe to the band saw and had to cut one of the ends off so that it would fit on the coupling. After dusting and cleaning it off I fit the sensor in that part is finished.

Now take the coupling and shave out a bit on the inside of the 2 inch side so that it fits snug on the air flow meter. After that your ready to put everything together. Fit the filter on the large end of the pipe it should go good and snug. Then the large end of the coupling on the other side of the pipe.

Now fit it on the car and adjust the hose clamps so that they can be tightened easily and tighten them down. Notice the whole setup is angled so it don’t stick up into the hood making it harder to close. After a week of riding go back in a tighten up the clamps they tend to loosen up after instillation. Then they should ride good from the time on.

Now take the mini filter and wrap electric tape around the base of it so that it fits snug inside the factory hose the clamp it down. Make sure the temperature sensor is plugged in and everything thing is tight and you’ll be complete. I’ve been driving on it for over a year and had no problems. Pictures are in my gallery under the working on my car folder if you would like to see how it should come out. Happy motoring let me know how it turns out for you.

Parts list

2 small hose clamps for the smog filter
3 larger hose clams for the coupling and filter coupling comes with 2
1 small air filter
1 large air filter
Electric tape

APC filter 24.94
APC small 9.88
Coupling 5.97
90 deg. Elbow
Long 4.33
Misc. Stuff 10.00
wv318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Maverix

Vehicles

Hmph, this is interesting. Why don't you submit this to the knowledge base? I'm actually going to attempt this later.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
wv318ti

I'm new to the whole forum thing, and figured this was the best place I could put it. Good luck on it. It's pretty easy and comes out looking pretty good.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
BMW_318TI

Yeah it's looking good! why not adding a heatshield?
BMW_318TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Flametail

+1 to heatshield. That would really help to keep engine heat away. Why not go to a muffler shop and get them to bend a piece of tube or get a pre-bent piece? then you can spray that heat treatment stuff on it to help it stay cold(er).

EDIT: is this for the M44?

Steffen, they are F's not V's.
Apexcone Projector36 w/ 6000K|ACS Driver's Collection Knob|UUC Ultrasuede boot|20% Tint|TMS CF Wing|Antenna Delete|Rear Wiper Delete|Magnaflow Muffler and Resonator w/ Cat Delete|
Extra Tail Light Mod
6" Speaker Mod
Flametail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
wv318ti

Since BMW_318ti suggested the Idea, I've been in the works. I'm working on templates to have one made out of aluminium that will hopefully bolt into the factory screws.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Flametail

werd

Steffen, they are F's not V's.
Apexcone Projector36 w/ 6000K|ACS Driver's Collection Knob|UUC Ultrasuede boot|20% Tint|TMS CF Wing|Antenna Delete|Rear Wiper Delete|Magnaflow Muffler and Resonator w/ Cat Delete|
Extra Tail Light Mod
6" Speaker Mod
Flametail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Maverix

Vehicles

Hey, I just noticed. Why do you need 2 air filters? I noticed in the HD Technik CAI guide that they only use 1 big filter, and connect the sensor to the elbow.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1225 View Post
Hey, I just noticed. Why do you need 2 air filters? I noticed in the HD Technik CAI guide that they only use 1 big filter, and connect the sensor to the elbow.
the M44 has a breather hose run from the airbox to another part(?), the little filter goes where the breather hose used to attach
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote