318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-23-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
gietl

Default Looking at a 1996 318ti Sport (M-Technic)

Just chiming in for my first post, not a ti owner, but looking at one tomorrow. This site seems like a great resource so I thought I would sign up.

I am a german car enthusiast, I have owned 3 VWs (93 Fox, 00 Passat 1.8T, 90 Jetta Coupe) and onw Audi (00 A6 2.7TT). We also had a wonderful 87 MB 190E that was totalled a couple years ago and replaced with some Swede power, a Volvo S60 (for now until we get another Benz).

Currently I am driving my 77 IHC Scout II but am shopping for another car now that we have closed and moved into our new home.

Anyway, I am looking at a 96 with 71K miles, M-Technic Sport and some nice tasteful mods (like flass lense euro headlights and little things like that). They are asking $7100 obo, just wondering if this seems like a reasonable starting point. Based on KBB and what I have read on here it is not far off. I am guessing the higher price is based on the mods.
gietl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gietl
I am guessing the higher price is based on the mods.
Rarely do mods raise the price unless it is an engine.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
gietl

Yes, I am aware of this having modified my VW/Audi collection Just trying to figure where the price is coming from.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:06 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Are you in the US? Different areas seem to get different prices.
I'd say it is pretty low mileage. I'll be turning 200K on my 96.
Sports look good. What color is it?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
gietl

I guess my own private hell isn't very descriptive. I am in the US, Colorado to be exact.

I also failed to mention they do have RD springs and bilstien shocks. All in all no amazing feat but expected mods for a car like this. It is a blue in color, with black leather with grey centers (the seats). 5sp manual.

I'll know more tomorrow when I see it. Seems like without any potential mod recovery money KBB lists Good at about $6100. They are also selling as price negotiable.

What's funny is (and no offense) I never really liked the look of the ti for a long time. But the color and and little exterior mods and so forth really make the car look great. Nothing cheezy or juvenile, it is all very tasteful.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:16 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

where in CO? i just moved to Denver (well, i'm in process of moving ...).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
gietl

Just south of Denver, I have lived here my whole life (pretty much) and just moved out of Denver, lived in Denver for the last 6 years. I just bought a house and nothing is affordable in Denver to buy.

I just got home from a few bars, boy this longer drive sure does suck. If you need any info on Denver feel free to drop me a line.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

sort of funny, i used to list my location as "Hell (WI)"
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 07-24-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
gietl

Colorado is wonderful, not hell, but sometimes my life is hell.

Anyway, went and saw the ti today. Was impressed and dissappointed to some extent, rgardless pretty good little car. It is Alaska Blue, has the M package and has the leather seats, meaning leather sides and cloth centers. Has a short shift, 225s in the front 245s in the rear, rear fenders were rolled (roughly) but he said they used a real roller. The friend that did it failed to heat the paint so it has chipped off in spots on the fender edge.

The car drove great, has a 2002 M3 front brake conversion which causes the brake pad sensor light to stay on all the time. I was impressed with the acceleration and the handling of the car. It does have an aftermarket exhaust which is a little louder than I hoped but isn't horrible. Has smoked taillights (aftermarket) one is trashed but he has the originals as well as the original wheels.

In his ad he just lowered the price a little more today too. So now I am debating whether or not I want to do it and what to offer. Also, as for general condition of the car, usual little tiny dings and some real minor scrathes for being a 9 year old car. The rear bumper is a mess as the original owner must have used anotehr car as his guide to tell him when to stop because it is peppered with round marks presumably from front license plate screws. It's almost humourous because there are a whole bunch of em. Would definitley need a repaint on that rear bumper as well as repair to those fender well edges.

Oh, and those 245s, while they look sweet, you hit a bump and they rub.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Colorado is wonderful, not hell, but sometimes my life is hell.
well, i think everybody's is at some point!
Quote:
Anyway, went and saw the ti today. Was impressed and dissappointed to some extent, regardless pretty good little car. It is Alaska Blue, has the M package and has the leather seats, meaning leather sides and cloth centers. Has a short shift, 225s in the front 245s in the rear, rear fenders were rolled (roughly) but he said they used a real roller. The friend that did it failed to heat the paint so it has chipped off in spots on the fender edge.
gggaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! that sux
Quote:
The car drove great, has a 2002 M3 front brake conversion which causes the brake pad sensor light to stay on all the time. I was impressed with the acceleration and the handling of the car. It does have an aftermarket exhaust which is a little louder than I hoped but isn't horrible. Has smoked taillights (aftermarket) one is trashed but he has the originals as well as the original wheels.
from a 2002 m3? hadn't heard of that one yet. and why does it make the sensor stay on all the time? if the pad sensors are connected correctly and it was reset when it did go off, i would think it should be off now. sheeesh, what else is wrong with it?
Quote:
In his ad he just lowered the price a little more today too. So now I am debating whether or not I want to do it and what to offer. Also, as for general condition of the car, usual little tiny dings and some real minor scrathes for being a 9 year old car. The rear bumper is a mess as the original owner must have used anotehr car as his guide to tell him when to stop because it is peppered with round marks presumably from front license plate screws. It's almost humourous because there are a whole bunch of em. Would definitley need a repaint on that rear bumper as well as repair to those fender well edges.
Oh, and those 245s, while they look sweet, you hit a bump and they rub.
and what did he lower the price to? how many miles?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
gietl

Well as he mentioned they wired up teh sensor but there is enough of a difference from how the sensor is read in 2002 from 1996 so it just shows the light. And to make the brake setup more cleat, it is the calipers and new zimmerman x-drilled rotors.

Price was $7500 about a week or so ago, was $7100 a few days ago and yesterday was dropped slightly to $6999. The car has 71,xxx miles.

I wasn't really shopping when I stumbled upon it and started looking into it so I am too cheap to get a carfax report and have hit up the members on my site and some other friendly sites to see if anyone can hook me up with a carfax. I think it could be a good buy, but I would need to find out the history and have a shop take a look at it.

Also on a side note, I never mentioned, I run a website in Colorado called Rocky Mountain Club B5 (http://www.rmcb5.com). Started off as a club for regional VW Passat and Audi A4 owners of the B5 platform. We are now just an enthusiast club and have a few folks with BMWs, our current member of the month bought a used M3 a few months ago to be his track car.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Well as he mentioned they wired up teh sensor but there is enough of a difference from how the sensor is read in 2002 from 1996 so it just shows the light. And to make the brake setup more cleat, it is the calipers and new zimmerman x-drilled rotors.
hmmmm. to put e36 m3 front brakes on the ti requires that one also transplant the front spindles. did he have to do that for the e46 m3 brakes as well? i know the e46 32x front calipers+carriers are a direct bolt on, but i wasn't aware the m3 ones were. that'd be a nice upgrade if the sensor issue was worked out.
Quote:
I wasn't really shopping when I stumbled upon it and started looking into it so I am too cheap to get a carfax report and have hit up the members on my site and some other friendly sites to see if anyone can hook me up with a carfax. I think it could be a good buy, but I would need to find out the history and have a shop take a look at it.
i certainly would (get carfax and have inspected by a bmw mechanic you trust)!
Quote:
Also on a side note, I never mentioned, I run a website in Colorado called Rocky Mountain Club B5 (http://www.rmcb5.com). Started off as a club for regional VW Passat and Audi A4 owners of the B5 platform. We are now just an enthusiast club and have a few folks with BMWs, our current member of the month bought a used M3 a few months ago to be his track car.
cool! i just signed up

Old 07-25-2005, 05:41 AM   #13
gietl

I'm guessing it was an involved process because he has the rears too, but hasn't installed them. They work great though! It's hard not to be cliche, but the car stops on a dime.

One other thing is it was broken into not long ago and now the pass window has been replaced but is not tinted like the rest. Just a little thing, but sucks.

It would be great to get into something a little fun like this car if the price can be right. Still trying to gauge what it's real value is and if I want to go down that road.

Part of the appeal is not just the styling but the low miles and the handling. Again, I was suprised that the car seemed quicker than I expected, considering my last few cars were 0-60 in about 7 seconds (remember I got altitude here!) and that is saying a lot.

Another thought is that I would be using this car to commute, all highway, for the next year or so, but thought it might also have potential for auto-x and track usage. Obviously it wouldn't be a monster on the track, but I like tracks that are twisty.

I've found it would be hard for me to go back to an Audi or VW without it being a turbo, I would also like another MB but am interested in dipping my toes into the BMW pool. Obviously I would love an M3 but that is cost prohibitive at this time.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #14
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
I am too cheap to get a carfax report
What's the VIN? I'd be happy to run a carfax for ya.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
gietl

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Here is the VIN:

WBACG7327TAS96581

If you can e-mail the report too that would be awesome, my e-mail is jay AT gietl DOT net

Thanks again!

Jay