318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #61
wolferj-RIP

Finished with a new fabricated cover over the battery... looks like it was there from the factory!
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #62
KINGAMR

Looks pretty good James
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #63
tiFreak

Vehicles

not bad for a DIY, looks clean
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #64
Marv17

yeah, i'm about to do that tomorrow. just tucked away the cables the other day.
battery is still holding up strong with all the stuff i have; sub, amp, gps, ipod, cop radar...

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #65
yoda

Vehicles

came out nice James!...
How's the car feeling with that new heart under the hood? When's the next photo-meet?

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #66
wolferj-RIP

Hey Yoda! Thanks, the car is a revelation... So nice

Meets have been kinda sporadic lately, lots of rain make for no fun... When are you being deployed? We definitely need to get together before you ship out...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #67
boss23

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
yeah, i'm about to do that tomorrow. just tucked away the cables the other day.
battery is still holding up strong with all the stuff i have; sub, amp, gps, ipod, cop radar...
Marv .. what battery did you end up using? I have an amp, sub and ipod connection.. I need a battery that'll fit into the compartment.. and was hoping to come out with something looking like wolferj's. I don't know what he's running as far as accessories, so I thought I'd start with asking you first.

Thanks.

-e
boss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #68
boss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Finished with a new fabricated cover over the battery... looks like it was there from the factory!
what battery do you have underneath is beautifully fabricated cover? Can it handle extra accessories such as an extra amp and sub? Thanks in advance.

*Erica
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #69
wolferj-RIP

I am not running any real heavy duty accessories in my car, but I know that Marv is and he and I are using the same battery... It's a Bosch SLA (sealed lead acid) car battery that is made for 1st and 2nd gen Miatas (90-05), and has been absolutly perfect for me. It's design uses the same technology as the Optima batteries, so don't run the battery down all the way, they don't like it. Also it comes with a full 3 year replacement warranty, so when I killed the first one during the swap, I got a replacement free of charge and no pro-rated fees...

I see no reason why it can't handle some extra audio equipment (amp and subwoofer), but don't go overboard (ie; 4amps, 2 super subs, police light bar, etc).
Old 04-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #70
boss23

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
I am not running any real heavy duty accessories in my car, but I know that Marv is and he and I are using the same battery... It's a Bosch SLA (sealed lead acid) car battery that is made for 1st and 2nd gen Miatas (90-05), and has been absolutly perfect for me. It's design uses the same technology as the Optima batteries, so don't run the battery down all the way, they don't like it. Also it comes with a full 3 year replacement warranty, so when I killed the first one during the swap, I got a replacement free of charge and no pro-rated fees...

I see no reason why it can't handle some extra audio equipment (amp and subwoofer), but don't go overboard (ie; 4amps, 2 super subs, police light bar, etc).

LMAO.. police bar huh? LOL.. I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the input. Seems like we're talking back and forth to one another on different threads.

What did you fab the box out of? This doesn't look like the one that came in our cars. Did you steal it from your donor?

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #71
wolferj-RIP

The cover is part of the original battery box. The oem box is made of 2 layers, this is the innner layer from the bottom part of the box, trimmed to fit into the cubby.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #72
boss23

Wolferj-

Is the battery a special order thing? I went to autozone and kragen tonight and they said they didn't carry it. Where did you get yours?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #73
wolferj-RIP

Pep Boys stocks them, my local Kragen didn't... Runs about $90
Old 05-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #74
Shellback

Can anyone fabricate me a battery box?

I have the Miata battery just sitting in the right rear cubby hole, but zero mounting. All I have from the original battery is the box - the lid is missing. Can someone help me build a box for it. Again, I'm missing the lid, so I don't know how this will affect the end result.

Also, I still have the original venting hoses that came with the Miata battery. They have not been installed. Is this going to cause any problems?
Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #75
98Silver323TI

Vehicles

here's how mine came out. it fits very tightly without any mounting. i have yet to come up with some kind of cover for it..
thanks for ideas guys..

before

now

98Silver323TI is offline   Reply With Quote