09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 388,358 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
steelejared

Default Roof rack and/or hitch to carry bikes

I am interested in either a 318ti compatible roof rack of any brand so that I can carry bikes -- especially if it already includes the bike carrier accessories or a Da'lan hitch for the ti so that I can get a hitch mounted bike carrier. If anyone has these items gathering dust and would like to trade them for some $$ please send me a note. I already have the trunk mounted carrier, but it is not as secure and prevents hatch access.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
aceyx

Attach the trunk carrier to *just* the hatch (lower straps on hatch, rather than on the plastic bumper). You can still open it then.

Maybe that's why my struts are dead.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
steelejared

Thanks for the reply. Good tip. I could probably open the hatch that way even with my bike on it because I have the overkill Ford Aerostar hatch struts. I would have to open it slow -- so as not to catapult my bike.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
mohaughn

I wouldn't use a standard trunk type rack on a Ti. The reason being that the top straps hook onto the glass. I've seen other hatchback cars with bike racks attached to the glass where the glass has started to pull away from the body from the weight. Then your window could start leaking water around the seals, or the window could completely come off dumping your bikes...

I know a lot of trunk style bike carriers specifically don't list the Ti as "fitting" for this reason even though they will fit.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
dano670

Other than the hitch, I fit a yakima roof rack on my car. There is no exact application for the car, but it fit nearly perfect.

I saw on the Yakima website that they made the rack for the E36 325/318 4 door, but not the 2 door. Yakima racks are (mostly) all the same, it is the bracket that varies between the cars.

I used the front bracket from that car and it secured (just like the stock bmw rack) to the bolts that are hidden in your door rubber on the roof of the car.

For the rear bracket, I used the brackets that used to my my old civic hatchback. The rear window design was similar to both cars.

2 drawbacks. The first was you had to be careful when opening the rear glass. The rack would touch it. Happened on my civic also (approved yakima car).

The rear towers sat lower and slightly wider than the front. On the positive side, the bike rails sat level on the car, so it looked good.

I will attach pics.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
dano670

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0001.jpg Views:	737 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	4088  
Old 07-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
L84THSKY

I have the Da'lan Hitch and a Swagman Ball hitch bike carrier. Can't seem to find the picture of the bike carrier mounted to the hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelejared View Post
I am interested in either a 318ti compatible roof rack of any brand so that I can carry bikes -- especially if it already includes the bike carrier accessories or a Da'lan hitch for the ti so that I can get a hitch mounted bike carrier. If anyone has these items gathering dust and would like to trade them for some $$ please send me a note. I already have the trunk mounted carrier, but it is not as secure and prevents hatch access.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 07-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
dano670

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	pic3.jpg Views:	436 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	4089  
Old 07-13-2007, 04:10 AM   #9
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I wouldn't use a standard trunk type rack on a Ti. The reason being that the top straps hook onto the glass. I've seen other hatchback cars with bike racks attached to the glass where the glass has started to pull away from the body from the weight. Then your window could start leaking water around the seals, or the window could completely come off dumping your bikes...
I know a lot of trunk style bike carriers specifically don't list the Ti as "fitting" for this reason even though they will fit.
Good call. My old rack--some relic Thule job--actually made contact with the metal frame underneath the glass, so quite a bit of it depends on the hooks used. Tighten the straps then raise the hatch up and look from the side. You'll be able to see where it hits.

I ended up with a full Thule bar system, pretty happy with it but apparently the fit kit is no longer available. Factory roof racks look nice, people seem to like it.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
StealthBimmer

Well the trunk racks by Saris can be used with the optional hatch huggers straps. This is recommended so you don't clip to the glass window. Advantage is quick on and off for the bike trip day.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
Closed Thread