318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Today 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Today 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 118 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 163 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,608 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #31
Jeff Spooner

the stock vent valve already puts a suction on the crankcase. Too much suction and the front seal will whistle.
Jeff Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:24 PM   #32
ClubSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
Each wheel weighs 20lbs with tire mounted.
Are you sure about that? I think you need to check your scale. The lightest wheels I've seen are about 13 lbs, and they were like 17x8, not 18x10. I'd love to see the 7 lb tire on there.
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:23 PM   #33
TiPerformance

Ok, first of all the downing alanta charger adds alot more than 40HP, come on now our engines are rated at Flywheel HP not weel HP. With the Charger you will see about 180-190 Wheel HP.

I talked to you before and you said that you had the dinan stage 3 computer reflash, but no mention of any lightening of recripication mass. CAI in most cases adds 3-4 HP and depending on the computer reflash 10-12HP Max, now on the exhaust I believe out header flows pretty well actually, so I doubt that your exhaust mods made much of a difference. I read somewhere that a race team on a TI changed the exhaust, and achieved 1HP gain on the DYNO.

The only way to be sure on anything is to have the facts and the only way to get the facts is to Dyno the car.

To reduce recripication mass you will want to knife edge the crank, use lighter pistions and connecting rods, possibly titanium valves, aluminum flywheel, among other things, and I have yet to hear any mention of them.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:59 AM   #34
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Actually a Downing Atlanta S/C is 70hp gain,not a mere 40hp. There's nothing you can add onto the car that is going to give you that much of a gain except for the S/C. If your looking for power your better off just swapping the engines,put a 3.2l in there.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #35
RAJ

I agree- Big motor= big fun. 70 HP for 2500.... uhg. needs to be like a $10 per added HP right. LOL. Yes, I think bottom end upgrades would be recommended for s/c or turbo.
Emissions here too- Can you even see the mountains where you live.. thru the smog? I can't see the mountains from here either so I'd say Earth is doomed, lets pop in those bumpy cams and Pass the nitro methanol.
RAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #36
RAJ

Oh yes.. found this-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...927734423&rd=1

gonna paste in suspension section too i suppose
Old 10-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #37
RAJ

I have a few pics of race cars with tower bracer.. or similar horizontal bracing. You're right, it is a tuner thing.. but rightfuly so- Looking back on my life, the tower braces came in on hot rod stangs and camaros before it hit the neon and boom box scene. Stiff as hell suspension is best, but doesn't stop unibody flex- just transfers energy.. .. and a Full tube chassis is the best thing.. but expensive. X braces, under car braces.. these are the next best things to that.

I am in Dallas tx- there aren't any mountains here- i have to drive 8 hrs to Alpine or Big Bend to see them. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	engine1.JPG Views:	270 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	72  
Old 10-22-2004, 04:39 PM   #38
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
I am in Dallas tx- there aren't any mountains here- i have to drive 8 hrs to Alpine or Big Bend to see them. LOL
I know what you mean. I live in Tyler (about 1.5 hours east) and it's probably been a year or two since i've seen a mountain.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:41 PM   #39
RAJ

Default Mountains-

So You live near BMP.. they're in tyler too .. right. I was there once. I ordered a part- paid for it... and never got it. Everytime I have called, they say..you picked it up at purchase. -- I quite bothering after a year and decided I would never buy anything from them again. I'm not sore about it anymore.. but it was $175 blown. If I wanted to give away 175, I would have just taken my girl shopping.. or given it to a friend for their b-day.

Back to Mountains- ever been to Alpine or Big Bend area? It a cool place i think. Desert mostly.. but the Davis mountains have trees and the McDonald Observatory -very cool. In Teralingua there is a Beer Drinking goat and a bar- The bar owns the goat.. and the 2 are all that is left of Teralingua. kinda flat there but near big bend. Yup, ya hand the goat the beer and he grabs it in his mouth and tilts his head back.. then drops it in a bucket. So, if there is no one to drink with.. there's the goat. I think he has a limit though.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:03 PM   #40
bmw///m3///

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
I have a few pics of race cars with tower bracer.. or similar horizontal bracing. You're right, it is a tuner thing.. but rightfuly so- Looking back on my life, the tower braces came in on hot rod stangs and camaros before it hit the neon and boom box scene. Stiff as hell suspension is best, but doesn't stop unibody flex- just transfers energy.. .. and a Full tube chassis is the best thing.. but expensive. X braces, under car braces.. these are the next best things to that.

YA on that pic of the race car the brace isnt connected to the top of the shock tower. It supports my previous statement. My brother pointed that out to me a few weeks ago when I told him I was going to get a strut bar. It seems we buy alot of unneccesay things just because everyone else them. Oh well , soory I talk to much but just trying to save people money and possible ripped shock towers.
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #41
RAJ

Default Ya...

OH.. I know about the brace- And I agree, I think it is a better way to go. No worries , I dont think you talk to much. no apologies needed! yes, I have seen a few ripped towers.. but i thinks its mainly because it has Only been mounted to the towers. I have another car with one that mounts to 4 points- it made a Hug difference- even after all other suspension mods- it helps keep the car flat as a pancake around fast turns.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #42
Constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
Now produces approx. 200HP ....
Download tweak gave me a rough 40 horses and I moved the rev-limiter to 75** RPM
I see even 318ti.org isn't immune to ricer math! LMAO, let me see this amazing +40RWHP software download. Who's the manufacturer/tuner? Where are the dyno sheets? How much does it cost? Where can I buy it?

Constant
'96 318ti <- nowhere near 200 RWHP
'97 M3 SC'd <- 292 RWHP, dyno-proven
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #43
maurolin

All I want is my Rear fenders Rolled... put a 265/40/18 in there...

the car is pretty creative, but the ricer honda exhaust is not my favorite.
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:21 AM   #44
RAJ

Default Rice Math.. What?

I agree somewhat with the pipe being a bit ..Off, and I am working on that. But, Some here really need to read more closely- I never said I gained 40Hp from JUST a Computer Flash. I also gained this by reducing reciprocating mass throughout the drive line and internally- be it the drive shaft, flywheel, valve-train, etc. Plus raised the Red line significantly and I fabbed virtually the entire exhaust system. 40 Hp is Not that hard to accomplish- Hell, 15-20 is not that hard to achieve with just ECU tweaks, air filter, and miscellaneous tuning (match porting, tps, idle control, injector flowing etc.). By raising the Redline, horse power is gained by being able to take full advantage of the True limits of the discplacement, manifold, and port design. These are common methods to gain cheap HP- Not Rocket Science.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #45
Constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
I never said I gained 40Hp from JUST a Computer Flash. I also gained this by reducing reciprocating mass throughout the drive line and internally- be it the drive shaft, flywheel, valve-train, etc.
Yes, I still stand behind my claim that you use RICER MATH. Reducing reciprocating mass DOES NOT GIVE EXTRA POWER. If I take a Geo Metro with 80hp, strip it down 1000lbs to a frame & engine, does that mean I have a 150hp Geo Metro? NO! It just means I have a faster Geo Metro than everyone else because there's less weight to move.

If you put a lightweight flywheel on a car that previously had 150rwhp, want to know what ANY inertia dyno (Dynojet, Mustang, etc) will tell you? You STILL HAVE 150rwhp! Sure the car might be quicker off the line, but don't confuse faster = mo' powah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
40 Hp is Not that hard to accomplish- Hell, 15-20 is not that hard to achieve with just ECU tweaks, air filter, and miscellaneous tuning (match porting, tps, idle control, injector flowing etc.).
I would believe you...if you were talking about a turbocharged/supercharged car or a LS1/LS6 V8. But we're talking about a 1.9L normally aspirated engine here. I don't care if Ferrari, BMW, or Hyundai made it. In fact, IF Ferrari did make the engine for our cars, it would be even MORE difficult to extract hp.

There's no way in hell ECU tweaks, air filter, etc. on a piddly little 1.9L engine got you 40 REAL REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Especially when you haven't even dyno'd your results. Physics don't support it. I'm sure someone who has the time could show that +40rwhp on a normally aspirated 318ti would exceed 100% volumetric efficiency (congrats, next you can work on time travel).

You're doing RICER MATH to add up horsepower that magazines, brochures, and Fast & Furious movies claim.

You said you have nothing to prove by dyno'ing your car...well how do you know your "tuning" actually works? As an engineer by profession, I research, design, test, RE-TEST, and even test some more before I feel confident about sending a product to the customer. Looks like you did the design part (anyone can), but where is the research & testing?

If you can prove me wrong with EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE, I welcome it. I will even make a public apology and visit you personally.

Matter of fact, I will be in Dallas in a few months for Christmas. I will meet you with a 318ti that only has a Supersprint exhaust. We can dyno my 318ti vs. yours. I'll even PAY for your dyno run if you exceed my stock 318ti by +35rwhp (I'll give you benefit of the doubt and say the Supersprint adds +5rwhp according to your math). I could probably even convince a stock M3 to take a cruise down the tollway or 635 and you can show me how you stay with it up to 120. I'll even video the whole thing.

Here's your chance to back up your +40rwhp claims. What do you say?

Constant
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote