318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,908 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,771 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,116 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
bmwracerchick

Default What the news will not report about Katrina

Ok guys, this article is a little long but these are practically my exact opinions and much of the information I have come across over the whole Katrina ordeal. I know many of you are probably tired of seeing this over and over again on the news but I guarentee few or none of you have seen or read this side of the truth. I do feel sorry for those who have lost their homes, their belongings, their family and basically their entire lives, but I am not sorry for much of the behavior and talk against those trying to help these people. But dont take my word for it, read the article and educate yourself on the hidden side of the story the News WILL NOT report.

-Niki

The article is a bit long but is worth reading and makes a real
point.

Subject: Bleeding hearts don't seem to see this side.

An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made
Disaster of the Welfare State

by Robert Tracinski Sep 02, 2005.
It has taken four long days for state and federal officials to figure out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame them, because it has also taken me four long days to figure out what is going on there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if you think that we are confronting a natural disaster. If this is just a natural disaster, the response for public officials is obvious: you bring in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation to evacuate
refugees to temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop the flooding and rebuild the city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural disasters also have a familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people pulling together to survive; the hard work and dedication of doctors, nurses, and rescue workers; the steps being taken to clean up and rebuild. Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists--myself included--did not expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about rape, murder, and looting. But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster. The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has gotten the story
wrong. The man-made disaster we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not happen over the past four days. It happened over the past four decades. Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public view.
The man-made disaster is the welfare state. For the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be confusing. People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave in an emergency--indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in other emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have been saying that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it is not even what we expect from a Third World country.
When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion. They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in America. We are an enterprising
people, used to relying on our own initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and
large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September 11).
So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?
To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a description from a Washington Times story: "Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists, knives and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter the streets; and police and rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired on.

"Ray Nagin came even as National
Guardsmen poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjacking and gunfire....
"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened Arkansas National Guard members were inside New Orleans with shoot-to-kill orders. 'These troops are under my orders to restore order in the streets,' she said. 'They have M-16s, and they are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if necessary and I expect they will.' The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article shows National Guard troops, with rifles and armored vests, riding on an armored vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of squalid, listless people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly like a scene from Sadr City in Baghdad. What explains bands of thugs using a natural disaster as an excuse for an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What
causes unruly mobs to storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate them, causing the drivers to drive away, frightened for their lives? What causes people to attack the doctors trying to treat patients at the Super Dome? Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to help them? My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage last night on Fox News Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago, which is located in the South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television coverage was a whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the "crawl"--the informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on most news channels--gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of the residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and of the 300,000 or
so who remained, a large number were from the city's public housing projects. Jack Wakeland then gave me an additional, crucial fact: early reports from CNN and Fox indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in the city's jails--so they just let many of them loose. There is no doubt a significant overlap between these two populations--that is, a large number of people in the jails used to live in the housing projects, and vice versa. There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New Orleans when the deluge hit--but they were trapped alongside large numbers of people from two groups: criminals--and wards of the welfare state, people selected, over decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness. The welfare wards were a mass of sheep--on whom the incompetent administration of New Orleans unleashed a pack of wolves. All of this is related, incidentally, to the apparent incompetence of the city government, which failed to plan for a total evacuation of the city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary. But in a city corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is to ensure the flow of handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to political supporters--not to ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of emergency. No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell. In fact, some are already actively distorting it, blaming
President Bush, for example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans had drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable piece from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames the chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the opposite: the chaos was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. They don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men. But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own anything.

Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things before.

Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.
The welfare state--and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages--is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2, 2005
Old 09-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Platanos

the article was ok...its not hard to come to this conclusion if you have watched the news at all...what i have seen everytime on the tv is the same kind of people, that is what seemed to be a group of thugs...in a way, i feel bad for those who had no means to evacuate...but to act like a bunch of terrorists afterwards does does not make me feel bad at all...i cannot fathom (sp) what it must feel like to be put in a situation like that...but there is no excuse for that type of action.

i am in iraq, and been here for a year now...i am in my last month here...i thank GOD that i have not had to shoot my weapon...or have been shot at...i have been in a few situations where i did fear for my life...but it is a damn shame that a person can survive a tour in a third world country that is at war without having to shoot or get shot at and have to go help AMERICANS IN NEED and get shot at...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
durnadupa

That is exactly how I feel. Look at the tsunami, those people were in a third-world country, what happened. They were hundreds, if not thousands, of stories of heroism coming out of there. Natives helping tourists by giving them food, places to stay. People risking their own lives to help those in the waters...
And when I see this crap on teh news, it just makes me angry. Sure, I feel bad for them, but the way they are acting is just straight up terrible...
durnadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by durnadupa
That is exactly how I feel. Look at the tsunami, those people were in a third-world country, what happened. They were hundreds, if not thousands, of stories of heroism coming out of there. Natives helping tourists by giving them food, places to stay. People risking their own lives to help those in the waters...
And when I see this crap on teh news, it just makes me angry. Sure, I feel bad for them, but the way they are acting is just straight up terrible...

not to mention those very people who suffered the Tsunami donated $25,000 to us, its like omg you need that money dont send it to us. Then I heard people saying those ungrateful B**tards only gave us $25,000 when we gave them millions. Its like omg what has our country come to. I am not a racist person, in fact I fight my parents for what they say all the time. My dad was a cop and he saw crap like this everyday and I still told him to stop putting down others like that all the time. Now I am seeing this with my own eyes and I am so angry at these people for their behavior. I feel terrible for what happened to them I really do, no one deserves that, but the way they are acting isnt good either. And its not all blacks like the media is showing, there are plenty of whites doing stupid crap as well. It is just the class of people, color doesnt matter, unfortunetly its the majority and it is giving them bad names. I just hope all this ends soon and those who are affected by this can find a place to live happily and healthy. On one condition they appreciate what the government does for them by housing them and they dont trash what they have. As the article says, those in the projects tend to trash what they are given, I pray to god it wont be like that in this case.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracerchick
On one condition they appreciate what the government does for them by housing them and they dont trash what they have. As the article says, those in the projects tend to trash what they are given, I pray to god it wont be like that in this case.
But I bet it will. Already the conclusion is that leadership has failed the people form the mayor of NO to Bush himself. This is true but the people have failed themselves. I would be ashamed if Cleveland (last years poorest major city, now we're #12, woo hoo) reacted this way. I cannot envision anything violence like that happening here- it simply would not happen. Last night they finally got to the corpses in the Superdome- they had been mutilated. They also found caregivers had left nursing home patients to fend for themselves. My god, we have reached the brink.

Thanks for posting.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos
i am in iraq, and been here for a year now...i am in my last month here...i thank GOD that i have not had to shoot my weapon...or have been shot at...i have been in a few situations where i did fear for my life...but it is a damn shame that a person can survive a tour in a third world country that is at war without having to shoot or get shot at and have to go help AMERICANS IN NEED and get shot at...
Platanos, is your tour being cut short due to the disaster in NO or were you already scheduled to return? Just wondering from the wording of the last sentence. I enjoyed that article though. I'm not sure how many of you guys venture over to bimmerforums, but there is a thread over there that has a login to some guys photo journal of the event. He has pictures before and after with captions on each. It was one of the more interesting things to read about Hurricane Katrina that did not turn into arguments about who is to blame.

edit: Here is the link to that thread if anyone is interested. I highly recommend reading each caption.

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...=photo+journal
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
Platanos

no Nick, i've been here for a year and that is how long my deployment was scheduled for. one more month!!!! i haven't heard of anyone getting their deployment cut short to help out down there. but it wouldn't surprize me because we are all over here! i think it took awhile for them to figure out where to get soldiers from, because they didn't have any!!

i was just saying that because i've seen the news and was just speaking about the soldiers over here who may have fought for their lives everyday 24/7 and have to go home and deal with potentially getting shot at by our own people. i realize that its not only soldiers who deal with this but all the law enforcement who put their lives on the line everyday fighting crime. i just hope people can appreciate the sacrifices ordinary people make everyday by protecting people like you and i.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 AM   #8
nick_hegel

Ahhhh! I can't imagine the anticipation you must be experiencing. I hope you and the remaining soldiers are able to come home soon and safely. You have a good point about "potentially getting shot at by our own people." I would hate to be a soldier in that position. I remember hearing that a select number of National Guard units had been given orders to shoot to kill any looters.
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote