318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-19-2015, 04:39 AM   #16
Strawman

Quick update: after 30k miles of trouble-free thrashing, I just bought an Estoril Blue 1998 M3 sedan with only 145k miles but with a blown head gasket for $1k. Has a ton of receipts from the original owner and second owner.

It might be a shame to part such a nice M3, but that engine BELONGS in my 318ti. Already purchased a BMW top-end gasket set, as well as a Beisan Vanos rebuild kit. I plan to pull the head this weekend, rebuild it, and drive the M3 for a while to make sure the engine is healthy. My plan is to swap the S52, DSII wheels, and the front hubs/rotors/calipers and master cylinder from the M3. I've also acquired E34 rear calipers I grabbed from Pick-n-Pull a while back, as well as caliper rebuild kits and DOT-approved SS brake lines that I'll install as part of the brake upgrade. I'll grab the mirrors and front valance from the M3, then I'll sell off what I can and scrap the hulk.

I'm picking up a '97 328i tomorrow to swap the 318ti's healthy M52 for my daughter, since the engine only has 140k miles. Stay tuned!
Sleeper Calypsorot 1996 318ti tintop. CA-legal swapped S52 from '98 M3, and ZF transmission with lightened flywheel/clutch. Magnaflow 2-into-1 muffler. Six-cylinder Eibach springs in front and 318ti H&R Sport springs in rear. Koni Sport adjustable dampers all around. Racing Dynamics 28mm & 19mm swaybars. M3 front hubs/brakes, E34 rear calipers, braided SS brake lines, Hawk HP-S pads. DS-II wheels. Polyflex purple bushings throughout, and factory lower x-brace. Fan delete mod. Engine mount reinforcements welded-in. 3.25 LSD rear diff from E28 & E30 axles.

Last edited by Strawman; 12-19-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: edit
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #17
wolferj-RIP

Nice!!! Can't wait to see the results... Of course this will mean another trip..
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
Strawman

Absolutely, when is the next get-together in the Vallejo area?
Sleeper Calypsorot 1996 318ti tintop. CA-legal swapped S52 from '98 M3, and ZF transmission with lightened flywheel/clutch. Magnaflow 2-into-1 muffler. Six-cylinder Eibach springs in front and 318ti H&R Sport springs in rear. Koni Sport adjustable dampers all around. Racing Dynamics 28mm & 19mm swaybars. M3 front hubs/brakes, E34 rear calipers, braided SS brake lines, Hawk HP-S pads. DS-II wheels. Polyflex purple bushings throughout, and factory lower x-brace. Fan delete mod. Engine mount reinforcements welded-in. 3.25 LSD rear diff from E28 & E30 axles.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
IT RUNS!!!!

I finally gave up on trying to get the car running myself, as I couldn't get the starter to turn over. So I had it towed to Jake at German Auto here in San Luis Obispo. The EWS as I set it up was fine; however, the DME was looking for a neutral signal from the EGS (the engine and DME are from an automatic chassis). Jake ended up using the VIN out of his own 1997 328i (a 5-speed manual car) to correctly code out the automatic transmission. He's now working on coding out the ASC-T (traction control), and also figuring out a couple hard codes (O2 sensors, intake air temp sensor, etc.) but will have it ready for me by day's end. Total cost is still forthcoming, but it looks like he'll keep it under six hours (~$620). I'll then take it to American Custom Muffler here in SLO for a dual-in, dual-out cat-back muffler system.

It also turns out I didn't clip one of the injectors in correctly, so it sprayed fuel when he first fired it up. The car sounds great with open pipes, and he said his brief test-drive showed the trans/clutch/driveshaft (Pick-n-Pull specials!!!) seem to work well. I did install a new Guibo, but the driveshaft out of a 1997 328ic convertible fits like a glove between the ZF trans and E28 LSD differential.

I gotta give J!m props for his manual -- it helped me immensely, even though I've been frankensteining cars for a couple decades (WRX engine/trans in a Porsche 914, Subaru Legacy engine into VW Vanagon, Geo Tracker engine into Suzuki Samurai rockcrawler, etc.). I chose a slightly more onerous route by using the DME from an auto car, but it looks like I've made it over the big hurdles. Below is a pic of car (in its dented fender/door glory!) on the tow-truck. More to come!

Bummer on USPS non delivery. Had that happen a few times myself
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #20
Strawman

Head is back from the machine shop (Lesco in SLO; they do great work) and ready for install back onto the M3 engine. Hopefully, I'll have the M3 running tomorrow so that I can drive it for a few days to make sure everything is okay with the engine. If all goes well, I'll swap the S52 engine into my 318ti next weekend. I just registered for an autocross in Santa Maria on January 23, so I've got a stretch goal to shoot for. Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	BMW head.jpg Views:	243 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	16155  
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #21
Masterchoans1

its gonna be a rocket with the s52. I know mine is. What head gasket are you using? elring or Victor Reinz? I would also go with ARP(2000) head studs. Great job dude.
Masterchoans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
Strawman

Quick update: The top-end went together without too much drama, and I've been driving the M3 for the last three weeks to make sure everything is okay. I kinda feel bad about scrapping a nice Estoril Blue M3 Sedan, and I probably would have kept it had it been a coupe with a manual transmission. I'll start advertising non-needed parts on Craigslist soon (PM me if you need anything).

Anyway, the engine checks out nicely!

I borrowed a friend's leak-down tester and bought a Harbor Freight coolant pressure testing setup. I had no more than 5% leak-down at 100psi shop air on a warm engine, and the cooling system held steady at 25psi for two hours on a cold engine. The engine pulls strong to redline (as often as I can!), and it idles perfectly.

I just purchased a Z3M/S54 Behr radiator, Stewart high-capacity water pump, and a slew of gaskets/hoses from Pelican Parts in preparation for the swap. I hope to begin the swap into my 318ti next weekend; my new deadline (the next autocross) is March 12. We'll see how my 332ti compares to my Z3 M Roadster (with 198k miles); stay tuned!

Last edited by Strawman; 02-05-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #23
Strawman

Swapped over the steering knuckles and rotors/calipers, along with new braided stainless steel brake lines this weekend. I haven't yet broken out my camber gauge, but my keen eye tells me the new setup gave me some more negative camber. Car is a bit "darty" now, so I'll give it a "string-box" alignment this upcoming weekend. The following weekend I hope to begin the S52 engine swap. I'm really excited about this next rendition of my car!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
Strawman

As of last night, I began pulling the M52 from my 318ti and I plan to install it into my daughter's 328i; hopefully I can get her car running by the end of the weekend. Then I'll begin pulling the S52 from the M3. I'll take a few pics and post 'em over the weekend.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 AM   #25
middlegati

keep the m3 shell..... it will be worth money if its clean in a few years.. honestly start rebuilding it now and sell it as a whole car running... ive seen sedan prices rise not alot like the coupes but its an investment at this point.
middlegati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #26
Strawman

The M3 shell has been sent to the Big Crusher In The Sky. Shame, really, since it was in pretty good shape. But my wife and I had no interest in an auto M3 sedan with no sunroof. My daughter's 328i now has my 318ti's former healthy M52 in it. That's where the swap ended...

I've had a screwed up neck for too long (rear-ended in our BMW Z3M in August 2014), so I finally had surgery to fuse two cervical vertebra last Tuesday. That means lifting no more than 5 pounds, and no driving or even riding in a car, for 30 days. Needless to say, the S52 swap is on the back burner. The good news is that my new 2-post lift is installed, and I've gathered more parts needed for the swap -- so I'll hit the ground running as soon as my doc clears me. The latest parts include a Turner Motorsports oil pan baffle setup, which I picked up from the welding shop (I have a MIG, but I don't do aluminum) the day before my surgery. I also picked up a tilt steering column from an early E36, new bushings/bearings for it, and a Z3 rack-n-pinion. I also picked up some Hawk HP+ brake pads to augment the M3 front / E34 rear calipers. Swapping in a Z3 shift lever while everything is out, too. Finally, I picked up a pair of Sport Seats so my backside can enjoy the car, too.

Unfortunately, all I can do right now is go into my garage and stare forlornly at all the parts...
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
therealpbgamer

Quote:
The M3 shell has been sent to the Big Crusher In The Sky. Shame, really, since it was in pretty good shape. But my wife and I had no interest in an auto M3 sedan with no sunroof. My daughter's 328i now has my 318ti's former healthy M52 in it. That's where the swap ended...

I've had a screwed up neck for too long (rear-ended in our BMW Z3M in August 2014), so I finally had surgery to fuse two cervical vertebra last Tuesday. That means lifting no more than 5 pounds, and no driving or even riding in a car, for 30 days. Needless to say, the S52 swap is on the back burner. The good news is that my new 2-post lift is installed, and I've gathered more parts needed for the swap -- so I'll hit the ground running as soon as my doc clears me. The latest parts include a Turner Motorsports oil pan baffle setup, which I picked up from the welding shop (I have a MIG, but I don't do aluminum) the day before my surgery. I also picked up a tilt steering column from an early E36, new bushings/bearings for it, and a Z3 rack-n-pinion. I also picked up some Hawk HP+ brake pads to augment the M3 front / E34 rear calipers. Swapping in a Z3 shift lever while everything is out, too. Finally, I picked up a pair of Sport Seats so my backside can enjoy the car, too.

Unfortunately, all I can do right now is go into my garage and stare forlornly at all the parts...
Sorry to hear about your neck, and hang up. I'm from Paso Robles and lived in SLO county for the first 16 years of my life. It's cool to see someone from my small hometown into the same **** i love. I'm over here in Jacksonville Florida now for the past 10 years.

I've built a 318ti with s50 swap.

I'm looking to take a trip to SLO this summer, I'd love to help you out and check out your build!
therealpbgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #28
Strawman

Florida: the land of no emissions testing; how would THAT be (I'm jealous!). Look me up when you're in SLO and we'll hook up.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #29
Strawman

My 9k-pound two-post lift is operational! I had to search but finally found a guy willing to wire in the 220V circuit for my lift and an additional 120V breaker for outdoor plugs. Here are a couple of pics of my daughter's '98 328i that now has the M52 that resided in my 318ti for the past couple of years.

I hope that my doctor will clear me to begin working on the S52 swap late next week. Stay tuned for updates on my 318ti's reincarnation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	328i on the lift 1.jpg Views:	238 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	16317   Click image for larger version Name:	328i on the lift 2.jpg Views:	224 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	16318  
Old 04-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #30
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
My 9k-pound two-post lift is operational!
Well, that's one way to get more parking space... just stack the cars vertically! heh heh

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote