318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 984,514 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
twentysixknots

Default Check Engine - "Catalyst Efficiency" Code

Oh, boy - 3 weeks into BMW ownership and I have my first check engine light.

98 318ti (Active).
The CE light came on on my way back from Boston this weekend. It was a hot day (95°F+), and I had been driving at highway speeds for an hour and a half. I got out my PEEK tool and read code "7, 28" which corresponds to "Catalyst Efficiency" (list #7) according to the PEEK book. I reset the code, but it came back this afternoon on my way to lunch.

I run Super+ always, and the only other thing I think I might mention is that the exhaust has been a little louder on hard acceleration than I think it was at first, but that might be lack of experience with the sounds of the car - or (?) I added a chrome exhaust tip from Bavauto - but I doubt that made the difference.

Can anyone suggest what to do next (besides go see a BMW dealer)?

Thanks!
26kts
twentysixknots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
socal318ti

Its probably the catalytic converter but I would check the O2 sensors first. There is a recal for all the catalytic converters in the Ti's so if it is indeed that, just take it down to the dealer and have them take a look.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
twentysixknots

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal318ti
Its probably the catalytic converter but I would check the O2 sensors first. There is a recal for all the catalytic converters in the Ti's so if it is indeed that, just take it down to the dealer and have them take a look.
A recall - that's interesting, I have all the service records from the previous two owners, I'll have to see if I can track down any work done on the Cat. I didn't see any outstanding recalls on the Carfax, but maybe it wouldn't show.

How do you check an O2 sensor?

Does anyone have more info on the recall - i.e when it was issued and was it all years? Why were they recalled? Any way to tell if the recall was done on my car already (sometimes they have to mark the car somewhere).

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal318ti
when you mean there's a recall...can i just take it to ANY dealer and they'll fix it for free?
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
twentysixknots

Default Code 50 now too...

Hey folks -
I'm getting codes 28 and 50 now. 28 is the Catalyst efficiency, and I think that makes sense. I read a thread somewhere here about the Cat recall on 98ti's and it sounds just like what I'm getting (rattling and lower power at higher RPM's).

The only thing is, now I am getting code 50 also, which PEAKE says is "Secondary Air". I am thinking that may be just a result of the loose monolith in the Cat, maybe a back-pressure thing. Any ideas on what else the "Secondary Air" fault could be pointing to?

Thanks!
26kts
Old 08-12-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
twentysixknots

Default BMW Rocks!

OK, now I am a full BMW convert. My Cat is failing. I called BMWNA and asked them if there were any recalls on my VIN - nope. OK, so I asked specifically about the Cat, and told Jim that I had read online that people were finding them covered under an extension. Jim said that he only showed the 8 yr, 80K mile federal mandated emissions warranty. I'm past that Jim, but thanks for checking, have a nice day.

I had only given him my name and VIN. An hour later he called me at work - which blew me away since I work in a pretty large company (over 500 employees) and I never gave him any contact info. Hello Mr. D - I just wanted to let you know that I found out that the Cat in your ti is indeed covered for 10yrs, unlimited mileage after all - it was specific to the 318ti so I didn't see it right away.

Imagine my suprise at being *69'd by a tech to let me know that they were going to pay for my Cat after all.

BMW Rocks!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #7
gooten1

Did you find out what a secondary air error is?
gooten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
twentysixknots

No, not yet. To be honest, I'm afraid to ask about that one now. I'd rather wait and see if anything comes back after the Cat is replaced. Car's waiting for me to get some time to get it over to the dealer.

After the Cat is replaced, I'll post a follow-up to the status of Code 50 (secondary air).

-26kts
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 AM   #9
twentysixknots

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooten1
Did you find out what a secondary air error is?
I just discovered something weird... I dont know if it is related to the failing catalytic converter or not, but, at least it is related to Code 50 - Secondary Air

My secondary Air Pump is missing a bunch of rivets that seem to hold the pump assembly together. In the picture I took, you can see one aluminum rivet and 2 empty holes going through the central round object (the pump). I wonder if the cat became clogged and back pressure bypassed the check valve and popped the rivets.

When the pump runs (usually a few seconds after starting) I hear an air leak, and pressing on the top of the pump stops the sound. Seems simple enough to fix with some new rivets (if I can find them that long). Anyone know anything about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Secondary Air Pump Post.jpg Views:	349 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	669  
Old 01-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
Matt

Default hey thanks

your info about the Catalytic converter recall helped me get a new cat for free because mine went out as well
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:48 AM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysixknots
I just discovered something weird... I dont know if it is related to the failing catalytic converter or not, but, at least it is related to Code 50 - Secondary Air

My secondary Air Pump is missing a bunch of rivets that seem to hold the pump assembly together. In the picture I took, you can see one aluminum rivet and 2 empty holes going through the central round object (the pump). I wonder if the cat became clogged and back pressure bypassed the check valve and popped the rivets.

When the pump runs (usually a few seconds after starting) I hear an air leak, and pressing on the top of the pump stops the sound. Seems simple enough to fix with some new rivets (if I can find them that long). Anyone know anything about this?
use long stainless steel screws. check the knowledgebase article on secondary air pump. i know it's ugly now, but there's a guy on there that disassembled and reassembled his (with long screws rather than rivets). good luck!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
madfronter

What model year is your ti twentysixknots? My car has the same fault code being displaid on my reader as well. I'm hoping the recall is for my car too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysixknots
OK, now I am a full BMW convert. My Cat is failing. I called BMWNA and asked them if there were any recalls on my VIN - nope. OK, so I asked specifically about the Cat, and told Jim that I had read online that people were finding them covered under an extension. Jim said that he only showed the 8 yr, 80K mile federal mandated emissions warranty. I'm past that Jim, but thanks for checking, have a nice day.

I had only given him my name and VIN. An hour later he called me at work - which blew me away since I work in a pretty large company (over 500 employees) and I never gave him any contact info. Hello Mr. D - I just wanted to let you know that I found out that the Cat in your ti is indeed covered for 10yrs, unlimited mileage after all - it was specific to the 318ti so I didn't see it right away.

Imagine my suprise at being *69'd by a tech to let me know that they were going to pay for my Cat after all.

BMW Rocks!
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Severian

For posterity I wanted to link this to my thread about error code 07-50, which was indeed "Secondary air control".

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8310

I received the error after my Secondary air pump started making nasty noises and then died one day. I have yet to replace the $275 dollar part.

Anyone have a used one? PM me.
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
Phil Marx

I recently tried to take my SAP apart but couldn't get it all the way apart. The rivets and the top and bottom covers are easy to remove but not the impeller. Generally the cause of the fault is both the SAP and the diverter valve at the exhaust manifold. When the valve fails moisture from the exhaust blows into the SAP, eventually ruining it. Sometimes the failure can be a simple cracked vacuum line to the valve and the switch that controls it. On mine they were fine. I just replaced the SAP and the valve at an independent shop. The pump cost about $250 and the valve was around $50. These were new parts in Pierburg boxes but not from BMW NA. It's now nice and quiet and the CEL is off, finally! I thought about just plugging the tube from the valve to the pump but figured with two years left on the extended cat warranty (it has already been replaced once under warranty), I wouldn't want to give BMW an excuse to void that warranty due to another system failure. In your case I'd try putting the pump back together, resetting the CEL, and see what happens. You might want to try fixing this before you go in for the cat problem! I wouldn't want to give them any reason to refuse an expensive repair. The SAP blows cold air into the exhaust on cold-start to superheat the cat for better emission control during warm-up. I personally doubt it has much to do with the life of the cat but really serves only to make the 318ti comply with warm-up cycle regulations. IMHO
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
DeadpaN

I had this same problem, loose top, noisy. It sounded like a bullfrog when it was running. Replaced mine, hose and valve. Then I pulled the old one apart. I don't know if you can repair these things. It was a bitch to get apart, looked like even more of a bitch to put back together plus mine was beyond repair. The "fan wheel" in it was seized. You could try Eurodepot.com for a used one, since they also have a salvage yard. The price difference would be at least a $200 savings I'm guessing.