318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-02-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
toast27

Question instrument panel back light illumination help

Has anyone had to change the bulbs for the instrument panel back lights? my odometer backlights are out and the local dealer wants 125.00 to change the bulbs.
I don't doubt that's the cost if the air bag/steering wheel have to come off to get at the bulbs.

Is the dealer tiring to pull a fast one? does the wheel have to come out and access the bulbs from the front side of the dash ?

thanks in advace for the help.
toast27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:17 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

It is possible to remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel, but it is hard. You need to pull out the cluster while turning the wheel. I haven't removed my steering wheel but it seems easy enough. Next time I'll remove the wheel. Be sure to disconnect you battery!
Here is one writeup.
http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...usterbulbs.htm
I'm sure there are better ones.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org

Last edited by 1996 328ti; 04-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #3
toast27

Default excellent links, thanks 96 328ti

the second link makes perfect sense, I bet it will be tricky but worth not having to remove the air bag and wheel.

I will take a stab at it tomorrow. thanks again and for the warning on the batt cable.

I am in the fire service and we have Kevlar bags that go over the wheel and strap to the column to protect us and the driver from post accident air bad deployment while doing extraction.with new cars and air bags coming from all different parts of the car we are trained to be well aware of the danger to us and the person we are trying to get out of the car. serious stuff.

that would be a bummer to get smacked in the head with the bag trying to change a light bulb.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Unless you are removing the steering wheel you don't have to worry about the battery, although it is probably a good idea. Be sure to have your battery code.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #5
toast27

Default where would one find batt code?

thanks again steven,
would it be under the hood or perhaps in the owners book in the glove box?
car is a 95 stock 318ti not m series or sport package
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 AM   #6
Racerküken

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast27
Has anyone had to change the bulbs for the instrument panel back lights? my odometer backlights are out and the local dealer wants 125.00 to change the bulbs.
I don't doubt that's the cost if the air bag/steering wheel have to come off to get at the bulbs.

Is the dealer tiring to pull a fast one? does the wheel have to come out and access the bulbs from the front side of the dash ?

thanks in advace for the help.
Absofreakinlutely, that dealer is def. trying to pull a fast one. The steering wheel does have to come out(mine had a airbag) but only to make it easier on you. We had to replace 4 bulbs and I removed the hardware and my husband got steering wheel off and then removed the dash.
All you need is the right tools...
Racerküken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
96ti

I remove my instrument cluster w/o removing the sterring wheel. Easy enough. As someone in this forum said (don't remember who the guy was), I used painting tape to cover the face of the instrument cluster, protecting it from scratching. first, remove the two screws that hold the Ins. cluster to the dash. then pull it out, disconnect all the connectors, place the ins. cluster face down on the steering wheel. Turn on left signal light, then turn the steering wheel to the left slowly (it's easier if your engine is on). To make the job even easier, full out the head light switch before turning the steering wheel. With the Ins. cluster out, the switch can be poped out in no time. Hope this help. I did all of this in 10 minutes. And I did it 3 times LOL. Crazy me.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
thanks again steven,
would it be under the hood or perhaps in the owners book in the glove box?
car is a 95 stock 318ti not m series or sport package
Ooops! I meant the radio code. It should be with your owner's manual. If you don't have one the dealer can look it up for you based on the radio's serial number. But you probably need to prove that it is your car.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
John Firestone

Quote:
I am in the fire service and we have Kevlar bags that go over the wheel and strap to the column to protect us and the driver from post accident air bad deployment while doing extraction.with new cars and air bags coming from all different parts of the car we are trained to be well aware of the danger to us and the person we are trying to get out of the car. serious stuff.

that would be a bummer to get smacked in the head with the bag trying to change a light bulb.
I have read all the safety precautions you are supposed to observe when working in and around BMW airbags and was shocked to see how few of them the mechanics at my dealership actually follow. I am sure they have dealt with thousands of airbags over the years and have never had a problem.

Perhaps the most important precaution a DIYer should respect is to disconnect the battery before starting work so as to not set the SRS light. That is something none of the mechanics at my dealership bother to do in order to save a little time. Instead, they hook the car to the DIS tester after they are done and clear all the SRS faults they introduced by working on the system while it was under power. That still makes me a little nervous.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
pdxmotorhead

Lots of folks do things and don't have a problem ,,,, until they do....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
Gen

Default Instrument Cluster Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ti
I remove my instrument cluster w/o removing the sterring wheel. Easy enough. As someone in this forum said (don't remember who the guy was), I used painting tape to cover the face of the instrument cluster, protecting it from scratching. first, remove the two screws that hold the Ins. cluster to the dash. then pull it out, disconnect all the connectors, place the ins. cluster face down on the steering wheel. Turn on left signal light, then turn the steering wheel to the left slowly (it's easier if your engine is on). To make the job even easier, full out the head light switch before turning the steering wheel. With the Ins. cluster out, the switch can be poped out in no time. Hope this help. I did all of this in 10 minutes. And I did it 3 times LOL. Crazy me.
Hi, I found your message from old thread.
I was trying to remove my instrument cluster to replace odometer light bulb last weekend; spent about 3 hours, then gave up.
Instrumet cluster did not come out even turning steering wheel left and right because space between the steering wheel and dash board was too narrow, and right side there is a wiper switch arm, and left side there are turn signal arm and head light switch.
Is it possible for you or someone to explain little more in detail for its removal instruction?
Thank you for your help!!
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
USMC318ti

Hmmm...It took me a little while to figure it out the first time
myself, im assuming you got past the screws and getting the cluster out of place. Make sure you got all three wire clusters dissconected,
then i just rotated the cluster towards me, and slid it out the right
side of the steering wheel.
USMC318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
Mendi3

Default It takes time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen
Hi, I found your message from old thread.
I was trying to remove my instrument cluster to replace odometer light bulb last weekend; spent about 3 hours, then gave up.
Instrumet cluster did not come out even turning steering wheel left and right because space between the steering wheel and dash board was too narrow, and right side there is a wiper switch arm, and left side there are turn signal arm and head light switch.
Is it possible for you or someone to explain little more in detail for its removal instruction?
Thank you for your help!!
I used a thin towel and cover the steering wheel to protect the cluster from scratches. If you are sitting on the driver's seat and start pulling the cluster, you need to move it towards your left and at the same time try to turn your steering wheel to the left. Make sure your turn signal is all the way to the left and also you need to remove the head light switch. I did mine with the driver's door open and took me less than 15 minutes. I suggest you replace all the light bulbs since you are already there. I hope this helps.
1995 318ti E36 Alpine White III DASC (RIP)
1996 328i 4Dr Artic Silver (RIP)
1999 M3 Estoril Blue Metallic RMS Vortech SC
2001 325i E46 Alpine White - Sports Package (SOLD)
2005 E46 M3 Coupe SMG
Mendi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
TiTime

Has anyone changed the color of the bulbs in the instrument cluster? If so, what colors?
TiTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
Gen

Default head light switch removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi3
I used a thin towel and cover the steering wheel to protect the cluster from scratches. If you are sitting on the driver's seat and start pulling the cluster, you need to move it towards your left and at the same time try to turn your steering wheel to the left. Make sure your turn signal is all the way to the left and also you need to remove the head light switch. I did mine with the driver's door open and took me less than 15 minutes. I suggest you replace all the light bulbs since you are already there. I hope this helps.
Hi,
Thank you for the instruction.
Is it easy to remove the head light switch? (without removing the black instrument cluster housing from the dash board)
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote