318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 989,520 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
impyboy

Default dissapointing aftermarket speakers

After finding out I had the BMW stock speakers, i thought an upgrade to an aftermarket speaker set would make it sound alot better.

The stocks were good to start with with the new head unit. awsome bass response, and no distortion when turned up.

so i looked into 'better' speakers.
The cheapest decent speakers i found were about £30.
after many weeks, i decided to double that amount and go for something of a better reputation.

so i jumped in my car, turned on my fav tune and listen for a while.
turn off, the system, and changed the speaker with this 'you beaut' new speaker... which fit in perfectly.

turn the system back on.... whoah, what happened to the bass?
what happened to the volume?
man, it was do dissapointing that these speakers performed worse than the stockies.

i knew i should have bought the pioneers, which were the same price!
these are Infinity's...which i thought would have been a better brand than pioneer, when it comes to speakers.

tempted to put the nokias back in and selling these!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
L84THSKY

I'm very happy with my stock speakers, don't see any reason to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impyboy View Post
After finding out I had the BMW stock speakers, i thought an upgrade to an aftermarket speaker set would make it sound alot better.

The stocks were good to start with with the new head unit. awsome bass response, and no distortion when turned up.

so i looked into 'better' speakers.
The cheapest decent speakers i found were about £30.
after many weeks, i decided to double that amount and go for something of a better reputation.

so i jumped in my car, turned on my fav tune and listen for a while.
turn off, the system, and changed the speaker with this 'you beaut' new speaker... which fit in perfectly.

turn the system back on.... whoah, what happened to the bass?
what happened to the volume?
man, it was do dissapointing that these speakers performed worse than the stockies.

i knew i should have bought the pioneers, which were the same price!
these are Infinity's...which i thought would have been a better brand than pioneer, when it comes to speakers.

tempted to put the nokias back in and selling these!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Bluebimma

Man that sucks...could it be an issue with capatibility with the stock amp?

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
evalha007

The stock speakers should be Alpine...
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
bullmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalha007 View Post
The stock speakers should be Alpine...
My '98 has Nokia speakers in the kick panel and the rear shelf. Not sure about the ones in the doors.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
madfronter

My stock speakers are made by nokia as well.

Get some JL audios or MB Quartz or your brand of choice speakers and run them through an amp with the propper power rating for your new speakers and you will be very happy with the sound. It most likely has something to do with the new speaker being hooked up to the stock amps. I bet the stock amp doesn't have enough power to power your new speakers.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
mickd

Suprising the Infinity speakers sounded that bad. Check to see if you reversed the polarity on one of the speakers, if you did, the bass will be bad because the sound will cancel.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
davep-uk

infinity's are good speakers generally especially their componant sets. but i'm a big fan of JL Audio as someone mentioned. not over priced and a wicked sound!

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
stormos

I LOVE my Kenwood PS stuff. TOP MARKS!
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
mohaughn

The resistance(Ohm) rating of the speakers can also make a difference. I'm pretty sure the expected impedance of the stock amp is not the resistance of your aftermarket speakers. I'd never recommend using after market speakers with the stock amp.

You are also more than likely underdriving the new speakers. If you take a speaker that is rated for 100 watts nominal load and only push 20 watts to that speaker it will not sound as loud as a speaker that is designed to work with a 20watt nominal load.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
snwbrdrbum10

i love my stock speakers and a 12" kicker sub...sounds great
Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
impyboy

I'm not sure whether the stockies are Alpine or Nokias, it's just that people hav been saying they're Sh*tty Nokias, but on the back it just says BMW followed by 4 Ohm/25W. But they are the Dual cone type speakers. the rubber surrounds are really soft, which i guess explains the bass response.

I've just spent all evening after work wiring up the components straight to the Head unit instead of the std wiring.
i've done one side and working on the other side now. (called in for dinner ).

i've listened to one side, and it's not much better.
but sound stage is improved coz the tweeters are mounted on the A-pillars.

i'll do the other side and see how it sounds.
i think coz there is no room behind the speaker due to the large magnet, there is no 'chamber' for the sound to resonate. I dunno.
I've taken that material off the other side, and mounted the speaker straight onto the metal to see if it sounds any better. there's quite a bit of room behind it now. i'll check after dinner (in the dark).

i'll be back......
else, i'll get an amp later, as suggested. the speakers are rated 75WRMS, and my HU is only pumpin out 22WRMS.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
madfronter

What type of speakers did you get? Did you buy a component set with a 5 1/4" and 1" tweeter with a crossover? If this is the type of set up you are attempting to wire to your headunit you won't get very good sound out of them. You need to get a new 75watt x 2 channel amp for those speakers. Or you can get a 75watt x 4 channel amp so in the future you can hook up new rear deck speakers to it as well.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
sublimeti

I actually just replaced my stock speekers with the infinity Kappa component speakers. the front and the rear. I placed the tweeters in the door panels and in the rear also. the only stock ones i kept were the 3 incherson the doors...i was gonna replace them but the dude at the sound place said that if i touched that speeaker i wasgonna need to get some kinda custom mount because they tend to fall off the door if not mounted properly?? whatever---anyways i also got a kick ass amp to go along with my new set up for 500watts. it was a b**** to get the damn things to start working, but when they finally did they sounded AWSOME! $800 later...professionally installed including speekers and wire harnesses and crossovers. I kept the original head unit and 6 disc cd changer.-------those little a*s nokia speakers had a magnet the size of a POG! Replace ur speakers...you will be sooooo glad! do it right and pay some one if u dont know how.
sublimeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #15
stormos

i had infinity in my clio, it was definetly well up there with ratings, probably as good as what i have now if not better! but i had a sub then and not now
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote