Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,313,115 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
1996 328ti

Vehicles
Default 1999 323ti

Is this the one people have seen in the DC area?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
CarFax shows it coming in from Italy.
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...CT31070AW11302
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Panzer_M

interesting, but for a few grand more you can get M Roadster now.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Panzer_M

if it was a 323ti Sport I'd think about it....but looking yesterday for 10-12K I can get a 323ti Mtechnic/Sport in Germany and shipped Bremen to Miami(1-1.5k in Transport dues)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
L84THSKY

What about the conversion costs to US specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
if it was a 323ti Sport I'd think about it....but looking yesterday for 10-12K I can get a 323ti Mtechnic/Sport in Germany and shipped Bremen to Miami(1-1.5k in Transport dues)

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Is this the one people have seen in the DC area?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
CarFax shows it coming in from Italy.
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...CT31070AW11302
That's the one I saw I saw in downtown DC last year, silver with VA. tags, 5 spoke wheels. Probably needs new water pump, radiator, thermostat....typical M52 engine. But still a great deal, I think. Can't compare it to conversion, one would still get/have the car first to be able to do the conversion. So, price of car + engine + suspension + exhaust + diff? + trans? + labor......still a good deal.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

When I picked my 318ti up in Michigan back in November, I saw a dark blue e46 323ti with euro plates on the highway, while passing through Chicago. Probably the only e46 ti in the country! I didn't think to see if it was right hand drive or not or check to see what country it was from since we were driving on ice and it was too risky. I wonder how he was able to get it here and then drive on our roads with euro plates. Very weird...
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Panzer_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
As a company vehicle with FL, Little it seems.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
bullmand

I would only buy this car if it has ALL of the paperwork from Customs. I think when this came up before that we determined it was brought in by a diplomat. If that's the case, the importation should be temporary and I suspect Customs is going to expect this car to leave the country again at some point. It's completely ridiculous, but if it was imported by a diplomat it wasn't converted and isn't technically legal. That would worry me in the long term. Customs could show up and tell you to ship it or destroy it. That would suck.

EDIT: Here's what the EPA says:

5. Temporary Importations

Vehicles and engines imported into the U.S. temporarily may be eligible for an exemption from complying with Federal emission requirements. After the purpose of the exemption has been satisfied, the vehicle must be exported or destroyed.

D. Diplomat or Foreign Military

The vehicle is being imported temporarily for personal use by a representative of a foreign government or international organization on assignment in the U.S. The representative must have authorization for free entry of a vehicle in writing by the U.S. Department of State. However, a member of the armed forces of a foreign country only needs to have his or her official orders for duty in the U.S.

No Customs bond or approval is required by EPA.

The importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1, declare code "N" on that form, and attach a copy of the U.S. Department of State authorization, or orders for duty in the U.S. for members of the armed forces of foreign countries.

So, it would very interesting to see a copy of this car's form 3520-1.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
aceyx

If the car has VA tags, it's got a VA title. Therefore, not a diplomat/consul exemption from the US State dept.

Okay, if I buy this car, I can sell my ti, AND still buy the bike. Hm...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
bullmand

I understand that it's titled/tagged in VA. That doesn't change anything about the point I was trying to make. The car was brought here from Italy. There's a paperwork trail somewhere and I would not seriously consider buying this car unless all that paperwork was in order. Given the level of concern for the job of most DMV employees, you could probably buy this and register it anywhere without a problem. But our vehicle import laws are draconian and ridiculous and what would you do if someone from customs, the EPA, or DOT showed up at your house one day and told you to ship it out of the country or destroy it? I can't afford that gamble. Has anyone contacted the seller about the car's paper trail?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Panzer_M

My 1997 318ti was brought over from Germany(the car also was in Czech and Austria) to Tenn(and I got it from Tenn(The Car was registered in Alaska though)) and Registered it florida in florida without issues.

should say it like this 1st Owner was a german, then it was bought by the 2nd owner, who brought it to the US in 2000 then I got it in 2004...least that's the best timeline i can make from the repair papers I got with the car.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
anchaleena

think there would be problems with meeting US emissions standards/specs?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
bullmand

They were all brought over from Germany in one way or another. Again the point is whether or not the importation paperwork is in order. anchaleena, I don't expect that the car would have any problems with emissions. As long as it doesn't have any codes stored, the MD inspection won't be a problem. The MD mechanical inspection may take issue with the fact that the speedometer is in kilometers and not miles, but that could be remedied with a cluster from a US 6 cylinder car.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
crewdog153

I drove my car from Pontoon Beach, IL to Ft. Riley, KS on German plates. Of course they were US Forces Europe plates but they were still the long kind, just instead of having the EU logo and DE in the blue, it has a nautical star and US. I got pulled over a few times, it was funny to see the confusion on the cops face when he asked where my plates were from, the best part was, they never did figure out they had expired about a month prior.

Anyway, depending on the state (i know CA DOES NOT ALLOW THIS) you can drive on forign plates for a certain amount of time. I had 30 days to get my car re-registered in either MA or KS. I chose KS because I dont want to have to drive to MA every year to get an inspection done. Thats a pain in the ass

Converting it would be a very expensive ordeal. WHen I was stationed in Germany I had an 86 Porsche 944. I bought it for like 1000 Euros or something but, I wanted to bring it back and I was told its going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $6000-$8000. So I said screw it. It wasnt worth the money they wanted and I already had my Ti.I dont remmeber specifically what you need to do to convert it but, theres a bunch of stuff. I know the windshield has to be replaced with "safetyglass"
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
Panzer_M

I broke the 1997's windshield trying to remove it when parting the car out. Found out the hard way it was not US safety/DOT pebble glass(the kind that breaks into little gem size pieces)
Closed Thread