318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,112 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
pcalahane

Vehicles
Exclamation Rebuilding a 1996 318ti California Edition!

So I finally replaced my old ti. For those who don't know, I rolled my car off a cliff swerving to miss a deer...

The new ti is very well maintained as far as the interior and exterior goes. My problem will be the engine bay. The car has a blown head. I have a new head already bored and all the old parts. This will be my most intense experience on working on a ti ever. I always had my mechanic do my engine repairs.

So I have everything stripped out of the BMW as far as header, intake, etc. I have a puzzle and would love a link or advice from anyone who has rebuilt a head on a M44 before. (ie specialized tools needed, what seals/belts should I replace with it already disassembled)

As far as I know, I need to get a gasket kit (thinking victor reinz) , new battery (bosch), and a new water pump. Anything else???

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
-1996 318TI CALIFORNIA EDITION (SCHWARZ ZWEI): BACK IN BLACK!
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
pcalahane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
familytruckster

Vehicles

That seems to be fairly common in CA. Why don't you guys just hit the deer?

Guy did the same thing with a MSP out there....and they had to leave the car. It was "unrecoverable"

Well, I'd replace the entire cooling system since it's apart. Generally you don't bore a head either.....Port and polish, new guides....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
pcalahane

Vehicles

Well you see, here in california, we are just a bunch of city boys playing with fast toys. They don't think to tells us how to survive out in the country in drivers Ed. Lol plus with all of my carbon fiber, I was sure that deer was going straight into me.

You are right, port and polished head, not bored.

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Ralliart10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcalahane View Post
Well you see, here in california, we are just a bunch of city boys playing with fast toys. They don't think to tells us how to survive out in the country in drivers Ed. Lol plus with all of my carbon fiber, I was sure that deer was going straight into me.
+1 ahah
Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
unterseeboot

I think Deer must be some of the dumbest animals on Earth. What else freezes when it sees a 3000lb object hurtling towards it at a high rate of speed?

Here in Pennsyltucky we hit them and then sell off the carcass to pay for the bondo and duct tape needed to patch'er up!

Ok, im doing the same thing now with a 96. You will also need a front timing cover seal, and exhaust gaskets. They say they can be reused but while it is apart why not replace?
unterseeboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
pcalahane

Vehicles

Good Point. So with what I am getting to put everything back together is just new seals? No specialized tools needed?

Parts Needed: gasket kit (thinking victor reinz), new battery (bosch), new water pump, front timing cover seal, and exhaust gaskets... Anything else?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
zoner

I think swerving is just the natural response but hitting the deer could result in something like this:

and could very probably kill you.

I've only had a few encounters with deer in CA (mostly central CA) and every time I was traveling at such a speed where I could stop, slow down, or avoid. The scariest time was on a motorcycle at night coming around a mostly blind curve. Came upon an entire family crossing the road, but was able to slow it down under control and slowly went past.

I'm with familytruckster- replace the entire cooling system while you have it all apart (water pump, plastic connectors, hoses, radiator). If it were me, I'd probably just go ahead and replace all/most of the rubber under the hood (belts, vacuum hoses, emission hoses, etc.) if it looks like it's never been done. Don't reuse the head bolts- buy new ones. I think they are an E12 (external) TORX bolt, you'll need to get a socket for that if you don't already have one.

Last edited by zoner; 10-06-2011 at 04:11 AM.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
pcalahane

Vehicles

This is what happened to my last one...

Last edited by pcalahane; 10-06-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
I think swerving is just the natural response but hitting the deer could result in something like this:
that was a deer that jumped off an overpass, there's no way that hitting a deer with an SUV would result in something like that. I've been told to never swerve for an animal unless it's a moose or something similar sized, just slam on the brakes and try to slow yourself down as much as possible before hitting it, unless it's something small, then just squish it

sucks about your other car, did the carbon fiber hatch survive intact?
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
zoner

I grew up in a rural area with lots of deer. I've seen more than one deer go through a windshield or total a vehicle. If you hit an adult deer at 65 MPH, it can do some serious damage. There are times when you have absolutely no time to react- it just jumps out of nowhere right in front of you. True, it is usually best to slow down as much as possible but if you brake and try to avoid without panicking (provided you at least have a couple seconds warning), you usually won't go flying off the road and you'll probably avoid causing any serious damage.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
pcalahane

Vehicles

No Brendan, the hatch shattered in the roll. They still haven't located all the parts... and it happened in March. Epic fail...

Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
I grew up in a rural area with lots of deer. I've seen more than one deer go through a windshield or total a vehicle. If you hit an adult deer at 65 MPH, it can do some serious damage. There are times when you have absolutely no time to react- it just jumps out of nowhere right in front of you. True, it is usually best to slow down as much as possible but if you brake and try to avoid without panicking (provided you at least have a couple seconds warning), you usually won't go flying off the road and you'll probably avoid causing any serious damage.
that's probably a better idea, I was told to just slow down back when I first started driving so my parents probably just didn't want me going into a tree or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcalahane View Post
No Brendan, the hatch shattered in the roll. They still haven't located all the parts... and it happened in March. Epic fail...
that sucks, it was definitely the most unique part of your car
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
pcalahane

Vehicles

You guys can order it from eurostopusa.com if you want. Just know you have to alter it for the locking mechanism. That and because of how thick it is of CF and fiberglass, it doesn't bent like the hoods in accidents, It explodes in many pieces.

If it gives you an idea, I'm probably not not going to carbon anything this time around except maybe a hood.

Last edited by pcalahane; 10-07-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
pcalahane

Vehicles

Ok, need some help finding a battery for my ti. Anyone have make, model, and size codes for this? I search the forums and can find specifications but no part numbers for an OEM fitment of an interstate, diehard, or bosch. Anyone have one that fits with al the OEM mounts and covers perfectly???

Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
pcalahane

Vehicles

Finally finished! Car is up and running. It has not ran, from what the previous owner tells me in over a year. So I have half a tank of old gas, an ABS light and the radiator fan that is staying on, and a really rough idle that fluctuates and sometimes keeps the car's revs from dropping after I give it some gas. Also in a very minor note, I do not have a working radio because I need the code...