318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,784 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,738 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,905 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Fuel economy

Just bought a 1998 318ti with 31 K miles. The car seems to be getting less fuel economy than I expected. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I can almost see the gas gauge move. I plan on replacing the fuel filter, air filter and plugs this weekend. Would turning off the ASC improve my gas mileage?

I'm planning on "fogging" my airbox too. Will that affect gas mileage?

Thanks
Eric

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
TiPerformance

What does your MPG Gauge read? My last trip on the highway I got 39.5 MPG according to the on board fuel computer, that was on premium fuel.

Around town I normally get about 26-30MPG and I get as much as 39.5 on the highway.

What grade of fuel do you run, and what are you averaging according to your onboard computer?

Also what kind of MPG do you expect?
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
L84THSKY

I don't think I have an onboard computer. If I do, where is it? I have a clock next to my radio. Does the trip counter button have additional features?

I was expecting around 30mpg driving in the burbs/highway. I always use premium 93 octane gas.

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPerformance
What does your MPG Gauge read? My last trip on the highway I got 39.5 MPG according to the on board fuel computer, that was on premium fuel.

Around town I normally get about 26-30MPG and I get as much as 39.5 on the highway.

What grade of fuel do you run, and what are you averaging according to your onboard computer?

Also what kind of MPG do you expect?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 09-23-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
GDB

press in (towards the steering column) on the end of your turn signal switch. That will cycle the features of the OBC (where your clock is).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
L84THSKY

Default Obc

Just went out to the car and tried that. There is no option to push in the turn signal. I can go left, right for signaling, forward or back for highbeams, but not in towards the column.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
press in (towards the steering column) on the end of your turn signal switch. That will cycle the features of the OBC (where your clock is).

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #6
gooten1

Well that's how you do it! I was 'bout to ask....It has perplexed me so far...
Old 09-24-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
Sirius600

Not all 318's were built with OBCs, it was a factory option. You can use the meter under the tachometer to measure MPG, but it wont give you the average read out your looking for.

BTW, how does the ASC button affect performance? I've had my ti for months and i still can't figure out what the damn thing does!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

ti's don't have the MPG gage under the tach. Only other E36 models.

You have to do it the old fashioned way: fill up and re-set odometer, then fill up again, note gallons and miles covered. This gives AVERAGE, so it's highway and city (unless you only drive in one condition...)

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
L84THSKY

Default J!M...where on Long Island are you?

I'm in Melville

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
ti's don't have the MPG gage under the tach. Only other E36 models.

You have to do it the old fashioned way: fill up and re-set odometer, then fill up again, note gallons and miles covered. This gives AVERAGE, so it's highway and city (unless you only drive in

one condition...)

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-30-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
tastade

I get between 23 in town and 35 mpg on the highway. Town driving is peppy with no speeds above 45 mph or so. As someone else said, not all 318ti's have fuel economy gauges or onboard computers. My 95 club sport does not have those.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #11
L84THSKY

Default Fuel Economy

I just did a test of my car, it seems that I get 27mpg. That is a mixture of 50/50 city and highway driving.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade
I get between 23 in town and 35 mpg on the highway. Town driving is peppy with no speeds above 45 mph or so. As someone else said, not all 318ti's have fuel economy gauges or onboard computers. My 95 club sport does not have those.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-02-2004, 05:00 AM   #12
barische

i have 97 ti and it has onboard comp and i fill the tank wiht regular gas and around town i get about 22.3 mpg
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #13
first_bmw

I have been wondering about this for a long time.... Heres My Recent test.

Filled up the tank w/ 13.18 gallons of gas, I drove 365 miles on that tank,
and at that point my light had been on for AWHILE and the needle was dead on the E for empty, when I filled it up again it took 13.56 gallons.

I drive 80miles a day for work, 60 of which are highway.

This puts me at an average of 27.69 miles per gallon if my math is right,
also right before this fill up I replaced plugs, air filter and oil.
My car is an Automatic.

I dont think this is good milage my 6cyl. 3000gt got very simmular
milage and it had 230hp and was alot heavier.

What else can i do to increase milage ?!? Thanks...
first_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
2ndBimmer

Red face

I almost always get 27mpg.

I recently went on a trip from central MD thru south central PA, 300 miles mostly freeway (about 80 miles mixed city/highway), spent ~2 hours at 100mph +/- 10%. I got a bit over 30mpg, which I am pleased with .

Im also pleased with the time: 2:10 from Bowie to Lebanon.
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
first_bmw

Hi....

Doesn't 27mpg seem low for the Ti's ?!? I mean there are 6cyl. cars that get 27 or better. My co workers stratus gets like 27-30mpg.. I know my HEAVE 3000gt got about the same as well.. My dads Caddy Sts gets Better milage than mine and its a v8.. What is going on here ?!?

Is it all a matter of gear ratios ?!?

Thanks... Bewilderd about this....
first_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote