318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Regional Forums > United States > California > SoCal

Notices

SoCal For the discussion of social events in Southern California only.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,308,052 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,112 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
HuGo

Default Bolt Ons?

Ok so what are the bolt ons for the ti?

The only ones i know off are...

Intake
Header (if you wanted to)
Exhaust

Are there any of following for the ti?

Intake Manifold (well, i wont need one cuz im charged but for others?)
LTW Pulleys
Test Pipe
Engine Management
Camshafts

Am i missing any?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
M3_KILL3R

LTW flywheel
Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
HuGo

haha i forgot that one. I dont know if i would want to put a lighter flywheel though. Ive read that people hear an ugly sound/noise when they put a lighter flywheel.

So what would be my biggest advantages putting a lighter flywheel?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
HuGo

What about a clutch? Isnt there some strong clutches out there? I hear people put an M5 clutch or something like that but have to change a whole sh!t load of parts to do that.

I would just want to put a stronger clutch, but just the clutch and not change half of the stuff that goes for the tranny.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
L84THSKY

I've got the UUC LTW flywheel and M5 clutch, they work fine. With the proper fluid in the tranny, the vibration is minimal. Cost me about $350.00 to have both put in, parts will run you about $1000.00.

Put in the M3 slave clutch too, it makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
What about a clutch? Isnt there some strong clutches out there? I hear people put an M5 clutch or something like that but have to change a whole sh!t load of parts to do that.

I would just want to put a stronger clutch, but just the clutch and not change half of the stuff that goes for the tranny.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I've got the UUC LTW flywheel and M5 clutch, they work fine. With the proper fluid in the tranny, the vibration is minimal. Cost me about $350.00 to have both put in, parts will run you about $1000.00.

Your list of "mods" scare me. lol

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
L84THSKY

They scare me too.
Gotta stop dumping money into this car.
Not that it wasn't worth it, cause the car runs great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
Your list of "mods" scare me. lol

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Philly

a LTW flywheel is a good buy in my opinion... I definitly gained some more power with it... before with a stock clutch and dual mass flywheel, i was on par with my buddies built 1.8 golf and that was with my small steelies... since the flywheel and my big wheels back on, i can slightly pull on him...

there is much less chatter with the M5 clutch+UUC... I have a SACHS M3 clutch and fidanza wheel... there is only chatter when car is warmed up and your sitting idle and your foot is off the clutch... foot on the clutch and the noise goes away.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post

Sorry but whats a slave clutch? What does it do? Did you buy an OEM clutch for an M5 is that what you did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd_king View Post
there is much less chatter with the M5 clutch+UUC... I have a SACHS M3 clutch and fidanza wheel... there is only chatter when car is warmed up and your sitting idle and your foot is off the clutch... foot on the clutch and the noise goes away.
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh i think i know exactly what people are talking about now. My friend has a Z and it makes this shattering sound. Its nasty. And i told him wtf was that and he said "its my clutch." I also know his car has a LTW flywheel. So i think im familiar with the sound now. He let me drive and race his car the other night and his clutch grabbed like there was no tommorow. His Z is fast too. Intake, Header, Exhaust, Cat Delete/Test Pipes, Intake Manifold, LTW pulleys, Stand Alone. After driving his car i wanted something that grabbed pretty fast too. My clutch is just fine but would like a quicker grab.

I also want to add test pipes but maybe ill do that once i become a cop

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Philly

Quote:
Sorry but whats a slave clutch? What does it do? Did you buy an OEM clutch for an M5 is that what you did

its a clutch slave cylinder..

long story short, hydraulic fluid is pumped from the master cylinder through a pipe to the slave cylinder actuating a piston in the cylinder (then some other neat things happen) .... in the end, it disengages the clutch from the pressure plate...

and the M5 clutch+UUC flywheel combo can be found on the UUC website.

328Ti

Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
HuGo

So how much would the slave cyl from an m3 cost?

Not that it matters but how much weight would be saved between

318ti clutch, stock flywheel, and stock slave cyl

vs

M5 clutch, 9lb UUC flywheel, M3 slave cyl

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
I also want to add test pipes but maybe ill do that once i become a cop
please warn us when this is going to happen so we can avoid whatever municipality you're working in
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #13
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
please warn us when this is going to happen so we can avoid whatever municipality you're working in
LoL dont worry, every Ti i see will get pulled over

That way all those who havent heard of the site or our team can attend our meets and have more than 20 in our team If they dont go...citation for them lol jk.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
M3_KILL3R

hahahaah ....well you say about 14lbs with the ltw flywheel the clutch is the same weight the only difference is that it grips more and the slave cyl is another couple pounds so you'll save 20lbs max...but the thing is you'll have more power going to the wheel instead of go to turning the gear or keeping the flywheel turning.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
Philly

a slave cylinder is rather small.. maybe 2lbs
and the weight you save isn't from the actual weight of the parts, its the rotating mass of those parts... same reason lighter wheels perform better than heavy ones.

328Ti