318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 950,817 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Greenhill

Vehicles
Default Cold Air Intake

i want to get a cold air intake for my ti, but i dont want something crappy. any suggestions?
Greenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
familytruckster

Vehicles

*grabs popcorn and waits*
Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
campione

Vehicles
Default K&N

I hadn't planned on using one on my ti but wanted to try it out. It's still on the car after a few thousand miles. It increases the induction noise up front (not totally unpleasant to me but it is louder) but the upside has been an increase in the mileage, about 1.5 to 2 mpg better than stock. HP gain? Probably minimal. It's a good kit, fits well and went on without any mods. I ran the supply hose up from the bottom and kept it short of the filter (to keep water at bay). I'll keep it on...
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Romak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhill View Post
i want to get a cold air intake for my ti, but i dont want something crappy. any suggestions?
SEARCH BEFORE POSTING

/end of thread

any suggestions on the time is takes cooljess76 to chime in on cia's and hydrolocking?

1995 Bmw 318ti - Cordoba rot
Romak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
*grabs popcorn and waits*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romak View Post
any suggestions on the time is takes cooljess76 to chime in on cia's and hydrolocking?

Oh, man- I totally laughed out loud after reading both of these.

With regard to the OP- this is a thread that has kind of been beat to death over the years on this forum. A CAI is not going to give you any real performance gains and, as Romak alluded to, could potentially be detrimental.

Unless you're going for a certain intake tone or specific look, save your money for something that will actually produce a noticeable performance increase (which you'll find is not a very extensive list, unless you really want to start spending some money). (my $.02)
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
teen ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
Oh, man- I totally laughed out loud after reading both of these.

With regard to the OP- this is a thread that has kind of been beat to death over the years on this forum. A CAI is not going to give you any real performance gains and, as Romak alluded to, could potentially be detrimental.

Unless you're going for a certain intake tone or specific look, save your money for something that will actually produce a noticeable performance increase (which you'll find is not a very extensive list, unless you really want to start spending some money). (my $.02)
i had a similar reaction, i would love for jess to comment. but really man the only reason IMO to install a CAI is to get a better intake noise, which is what i plan on accomplishing with mine and nothing else. we've got 1.8/1.9L 4 pots cranking out (realistically) no more than 125HP so an intake isn't going to provide any real profound effects on performance that you'll be able to notice. but do some searching on the threads and figure out what you want to do. like i said I'm going to do one but only for a little bit of intake noise so whatever makes you happy is what you should go for

teen ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I actually did post a comment only a couple minutes after this thread was started, but I took it down because I thought it might be interpreted as rude and unhelpful.

Sorry OP, the consensus on the forum is split two ways. In my personal opinion, the "cons" outweigh the "pros" when it comes to CAI's on 4 bangers. Feel free to do your research and form your own opinion though

And for those wondering, the comment I deleted went as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76
The best "bang for your buck" is the search button.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Bobtail_Bimmer

Vehicles

I added an intake for the simple fact that when I purchased my Ti the stock air box was cracked in half and at the time, could not find a replacement. Mine is more of a short ram set up. There is no noticable difference Greenhill other than the sound as stated. If you feel you still want to do something then go on Ebay and get a MAF adapter which is what I did. Was about $8 shipped. I already had the filter so I was good to go. I worked up a bracket to hold it up and no issues.
Bobtail_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Mr.Squeelerz

In regards to the whole SEARCH movement. If we all felt the same and never said anything I think the effect would be the same....no?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Bobtail_Bimmer

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Squeelerz View Post
In regards to the whole SEARCH movement. If we all felt the same and never said anything I think the effect would be the same....no?
TRUE! If you stop and look at it, everything you could think to discuss on the Ti has been as is with most other car specific forums that have been around for a while. If everyone fully searched before asking and found what they needed then there would be nothing to post other than FS, WTB, and random, non Ti related stuff.
Bobtail_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
CosTick

Vehicles

chances of reading codes after installing a k&n set up? additional issues to be aware of?
CosTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
trikzta

Vehicles

i dont understand why some of us just cant give a short answer the OP question yes the topic has been beat to hell and back but thats not what he asked. also great that some of us actually care about others and dont want to let them buy an item w/o telling them what the outcome can be, but that he can either research or find out on his own. point is he is looking for a CAI why doesnt any1 say anything, im pretty sure most of the members here even tho they know the risk that they can be running by installing a CAI in their cars they still go ahead and get one. instead of saying search or just dont get one cause it sucks. why not say "Dude just get a Ram intake is the same thing and safer for your engine, or why not recommend Fogging the airbox, or what i did retrofit it to a m42 airbox look alike with the snorkel behind the headlight. either way some waste so much time typing things that are pretty much useless. like me right now. but yeah if he doesnt search just give him the simple answer.

cosmo racing makes CAI for the M44

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Greenhill

Vehicles

Just to let everyone know, I did research it myself before I posted this. I was only asking for people's personal experiences with them. If you don't like the topic and don't have anything productive to say, then why post? Not to be a dick or anything.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikzta View Post
i dont understand why some of us just cant give a short answer the OP question yes the topic has been beat to hell and back but thats not what he asked. also great that some of us actually care about others and dont want to let them buy an item w/o telling them what the outcome can be, but that he can either research or find out on his own. point is he is looking for a CAI why doesnt any1 say anything, im pretty sure most of the members here even tho they know the risk that they can be running by installing a CAI in their cars they still go ahead and get one. instead of saying search or just dont get one cause it sucks. why not say "Dude just get a Ram intake is the same thing and safer for your engine, or why not recommend Fogging the airbox, or what i did retrofit it to a m42 airbox look alike with the snorkel behind the headlight. either way some waste so much time typing things that are pretty much useless. like me right now. but yeah if he doesnt search just give him the simple answer.

cosmo racing makes CAI for the M44

My response to the OP was neither meant to disrespect nor offend. Notice that I did, in fact, politely respond with my feelings on the CAI after my initial sentence about this being a topic that there are numerous threads on. The problem that many have, myself included, with people not searching topics that have been discussed ad nauseum is that there is now one more thread, to add to the many that exist, that people who will search the topic will have to wade through before they find their answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhill View Post
Just to let everyone know, I did research it myself before I posted this. I was only asking for people's personal experiences with them. If you don't like the topic and don't have anything productive to say, then why post? Not to be a dick or anything.
It's cool- I don't think that anyone's response was meant to be mailcious. In the future, however, if you do post something that you've previously searched and haven't been able to find your answer, if you preface your post with: "I've searched this and can't find the answer..." or "I realize there are many threads on this, but I'm looking for..." it lets people know that you have, in fact, searched the topic but were unable to find the answer you were looking for and will keep people from assuming that you just blindly posted w/o searching. Peace, bro.

Last edited by zoner; 04-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Greenhill

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
My response to the OP was neither meant to disrespect nor offend. Notice that I did, in fact, politely respond with my feelings on the CAI after my initial sentence about this being a topic that there are numerous threads on. The problem that many have, myself included, with people not searching topics that have been discussed ad nauseum is that there is now one more thread, to add to the many that exist, that people who will search the topic will have to wade through before they find their answer.
I understand what you were saying. No worries man. There was no offense taken.