318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 944,530 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,639 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #16
teen ti

Vehicles

OP, never meant to sound negative, just trying to give you an idea of what to realistically expect if you do put a CAI on post up some pics and let us know what you think!!

teen ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #17
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I doubt there is any hp gain with a CAI that uses a heat shield.
I bet there is a loss with a CAI that don't use a shield.
I have one for the sound. When it's cold I may have a slight gain in HP.
Those who run the intake close to the road are only asking for trouble.

Money can be spent better elsewhere.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #18
black98

My mpg dropped but put the box back in and mpg back to normal

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
black98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #19
jca

Quote:
Originally Posted by black98 View Post
My mpg dropped but put the box back in and mpg back to normal

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Your experience suggests to me that these engines and accessories were all engineered and tuned at the factory to work efficiently together. The only way to get noticeably more power out of our engines is to boost them, but there goes the reliability and longevity.
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
trikzta

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
My response to the OP was neither meant to disrespect nor offend. Notice that I did, in fact, politely respond with my feelings on the CAI after my initial sentence about this being a topic that there are numerous threads on. The problem that many have, myself included, with people not searching topics that have been discussed ad nauseum is that there is now one more thread, to add to the many that exist, that people who will search the topic will have to wade through before they find their answer.
my post wasnt meant towards anyone in general just the discussion there was about searching. wasnt trying to be a D!ck or anything just kinda speaking the truth tho. well cheers goood luck with the CAI search sorry if offended any1.

good day
-Dany

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Ok hugs and kisses everyone.

My opinion is aftermarket CAI suck. The stock box is a CAI and with a few mods is the best.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
J!m

Vehicles

No one mentioned it, but the temp sensor from the air box needs to be relocated to the new CAI once it is in...

This applies for the ti engine. Swap guys don't have it in the air box.

I mention this because although a CAI for any E36 might physically fit, be sure it has the provision for the temp sensor.

PS keep the intake off the road.

PPS I am not a fan of K&N filters. Change the stock air filter with each oil change and you'll be fine.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
eurohb

Vehicles

I run a CAI all day everyday a lil water is ok.. i know ppl who have hydrolocked but i run the cai daily on my ti.. js.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #24
jca

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Ok hugs and kisses everyone.

My opinion is aftermarket CAI suck. The stock box is a CAI and with a few mods is the best.
I agree...what mods to the stock box do you suggest?
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
eldiablo666

A short simple answer as requested

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...id=124&pid=263

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikzta View Post
i dont understand why some of us just cant give a short answer the OP question yes the topic has been beat to hell and back but thats not what he asked. also great that some of us actually care about others and dont want to let them buy an item w/o telling them what the outcome can be, but that he can either research or find out on his own. point is he is looking for a CAI why doesnt any1 say anything, im pretty sure most of the members here even tho they know the risk that they can be running by installing a CAI in their cars they still go ahead and get one. instead of saying search or just dont get one cause it sucks. why not say "Dude just get a Ram intake is the same thing and safer for your engine, or why not recommend Fogging the airbox, or what i did retrofit it to a m42 airbox look alike with the snorkel behind the headlight. either way some waste so much time typing things that are pretty much useless. like me right now. but yeah if he doesnt search just give him the simple answer.

cosmo racing makes CAI for the M44
and a pic of my intake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	100_0301.jpg Views:	252 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	12698  
eldiablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
318ti_pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teen ti View Post
we've got 1.8/1.9L 4 pots cranking out (realistically) no more than 125HP so an intake isn't going to provide any real profound effects on performance that you'll be able to notice.
Are you saying a 318ti for ex 95 that comes with 140hp now in days only have 125hp??

is this true guys??

its something i would like to know how much power a car loses with the kms on the motor or if it really loses any power?!

7Best mods: Angel Eyes, Rear Camber Toe Kit, Eibach Sportline Springs(Red), Magnecor Red Spark Wires, Platinum Spark Plugs, Aileron With Stop Light, New Front Grills Chrome.
The Vampyre/Angel of the Night!
318ti_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
tmjns796

Of course it looses power, Wear and tear on the engine components i.e bearings, rings, pistons, injectors, valves, cams and rockers e.t.c all add up. you are going to have less compression, less volumetric efficiency, a higher friction between bearings, cant get 4 star petrol anymore, aftermarket standard type exhausts have crap flow and incorrect back pressure, gearbox is harder to turn, diff is worn and harder to turn, wheel bearings are harder to turn, tyres have more rolling resistance than they used to. all of this adds up to a fair amount of power and torque loss. compared to when bmw had it (out of factury) on a rolling road in perfect conditions to get there performance figures!
tmjns796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
tmjns796

^ Perfect figures which cannot be replicated in 'real life' ^
I don't know why everyone gets so hung up on power figures, Drive the car.... if it makes you smile, buy it! who cares if you can get a toyota with 4.732 bhp more and is 14.9g heavier? its bullsh*t.
the op obviously wants an induction kit for the sound (dont we all? ) maybe it would be best to advise him which kit / filter to buy that is going to make him happy? i guess he isnt going to want to spend £350 on one, less than £100 im guessing.

I would recommend, given the criteria, an enclosed filter type induction kit.
honestly, you aren't going to get any noticeable increase in power, but it will sound nice.
They only really benefit you when you get a proper rolling road remap done, and you get the ecu mapped to your set-up.
HTH
Tom.
tmjns796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #29
JBP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teen ti View Post

we've got 1.8/1.9L 4 pots cranking out (realistically) no more than 125HP so an intake isn't going to provide any real profound effects on performance that you'll be able to notice. but do some searching on the threads and figure out what you want to do. like i said I'm going to do one but only for a little bit of intake noise so whatever makes you happy is what you should go for
Hi, was just wondering if you were measuring the 125bhp at the rear wheels or the flywheel? Cheers
JBP1 is offline   Reply With Quote