318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,680 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,618 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,040 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,941 Views
View Poll Results: Who is seriously interested in the new Mason Front Strut Brace???
Yes, I am very interested and will likely join the group buy 5 83.33%
No, I am not interested and will either buy retail or do without 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
maverick

Exclamation Possible new Strut Brace Group buy!!!

I am looking for a member who has preferably a 96+ 318ti with the M44 motor and no DA supercharger to maybe take a trip to Simi Valley in Southern California to allow John Mason of Mason Engineering to test fit one of his e36 318i braces or make a template for a prototype front strut brace for possible production and possibly a group buy deal. Is there anyone near by willing to do such a task?

I look forward to hearing from a volunteer.
Thanks,
Dave Ellsworth

Last edited by maverick; 12-30-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: left out state information
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Marv17

in what state? cuz we have a simivalley here in SoCal

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
mgbman69

If you're in Virgina I'm in NC would be interested if I get a prototype...

PM me, I'm also a Mechanical Engineer

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/852/
mgbman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
maverick

Default Sorry, it is SoCal...Ar eyou near there???

It is Simi Valley Ca, I am sorry I left that out and I will try and fix it, are you close by?

Dave
Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
mohaughn

It doesn't fit, he'll have to make something different. Talk to the guys at vorshlag, they have tested them out. I'm pretty sure if he needed measurements, vorshlag could provide him with them.

edit- Hmmm, just noticed that Vorshlag has fitment listed for the e36 318ti. "into North America including the E36 M3, 325, 318 and 318ti "

I also noticed that you said he has done a 318i specific strut brace. They must not have had this one done when I was shopping for this last year. If he has one that fits an e36 318i it will also fit a 318ti. I would still call Terry at Vorshlag as they have done extensive fitment testing with the mason bars, and work with a lot of e36 cars.

Last edited by mohaughn; 12-31-2009 at 06:52 PM.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post

edit- Hmmm, just noticed that Vorshlag has fitment listed for the e36 318ti. "into North America including the E36 M3, 325, 318 and 318ti "

I also noticed that you said he has done a 318i specific strut brace. They must not have had this one done when I was shopping for this last year. If he has one that fits an e36 318i it will also fit a 318ti. I would still call Terry at Vorshlag as they have done extensive fitment testing with the mason bars, and work with a lot of e36 cars.
I spoke with Vorshlag as I saw the same info and thought they had sorted out what fits what and I need a set of their top mounts anyway and figured I would order them together. Well there is some doubt that end as they are selling the 6-cyl brace and saying it will fit the 318ti and I know that is likely not correct and that the chances are they tried it on a 6-cyl conversion ti or maybe it might clear with the Downing Atlanta Supercharger mounted as it eliminates the high intake issue...knew I needed one of those for some reason LOL!!! They said they know that had one fit a ti, but could not remember which engine/intake was in it at the time. They do not sell on a regular basis the 318i bar and I have spoken with John Mason at length and he is unsure as the battery might be in the way on the ti as in the sedan/coupes it is mounted in the trunk, not the firewall.

Still looking for a car to test fit it on and John has been trying to work out something as well, he seems eager if we can just get the details ironed out.

Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
DSKM3

I might be able to offer my 97 ti for this. I am in Orange County (80-ish miles South) and could possibly drive up on a Saturday if it would be a one-day thing. My M44 is completely stock and the only relevant mod is Koni SA shocks w/H&R sport springs.

I have been tempted to go ahead with the Sparco since it seems that it might fit (someone had posted that the battery box interference was tolerable), but would rather have something that definitely fits.

Cheers,
Darren
DSKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
jjmtools

Location: plumb in the sticks 40 mile from nowhere GODS COUNTRY SIMI CA.
Default 318 ti strut bar

Darren
saturday is fine for me
2 hours and a quick tube bend and tack weld in the driveway is all I need to make the 1st rough - perfect fitting example first article suitable for
jig & fixture production tooling
please hold off on the SPARCO as my piece will be way better and a direct painless bolt on item, similiar to the ROGUE ENG E36 RACEBRACE available in carbon steel or aluminum alloy.For chosen bar strength of materials physical properties view chart/graph on my website
please contact me at MASONENGINEERING.NET att. JOHN

THANK YOU
JM
jjmtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKM3 View Post
I might be able to offer my 97 ti for this. I am in Orange County (80-ish miles South) and could possibly drive up on a Saturday if it would be a one-day thing. My M44 is completely stock and the only relevant mod is Koni SA shocks w/H&R sport springs.

I have been tempted to go ahead with the Sparco since it seems that it might fit (someone had posted that the battery box interference was tolerable), but would rather have something that definitely fits.

Cheers,
Darren
Darren that would be great as you see above John is willing and ready and I am sure if he can get it worked out it will fit better than the SPARCO and offer a better triangulation and be a better bar. Not sure yet what cost might be, but I am sure of the quality of fit and engineering as I have seen of a few of John's bars and they are pieces of engineering art. Of course if we can get a bunch of owners to make a buy I am sure it will lower the cost a touch.

It was me about the battery for one, it might work with the SPARCO if your lucky and don't mind triming the cover and having a steel bar that is a dead ground with in a very short distance of the positive terminal on the battery!!! I test fitted the SPARCO for Bimmerworld and we talked it over and that is why they recommend as I do if you use that bar the battery must be moved, just to risky in a shunt. Also, as the bar is a single tube and has a considerable offset it is not all that stiff. When I test fit I had eo fit over the longish studs of my Ground Control strut mounts and I fit one end over the bolts and was able to use just a bit of muscle to force the other end on and I had to bow the bar about a 1/4-3[8" so it does not seem alll that rigid.

Keep me posted and work with John if you can and I think we might have a nice result for a decent price.

Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
mohaughn

It would be very cool if you guys get this worked out. When I saw a mason bar last year I thought it was one of the best looking ones next to the RE race brace for the I6 motors. I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock location without a batter box, so the 318i one would probably work in my situation.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
It would be very cool if you guys get this worked out. When I saw a mason bar last year I thought it was one of the best looking ones next to the RE race brace for the I6 motors. I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock location without a batter box, so the 318i one would probably work in my situation.
John makes the RE RaceBrace for them and is hoping to get the one designed for our ti's to be of the same basic layout if possible, so if he can pull it off it will be a very nice piece of work and I think the best brace out there for our cars.

Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
DSKM3

I will contact John directly and work with him to find a suitable time. I can't head up this weekend as I will be out of town. We will see if Sat 16 Jan will work. I think I can do it then.

If someone else can do it before then then that's fine. Otherwise I will do my part to advance ti technology another notch.

It is amazing how active this community is considering the car is out of production 10+ years and according to BMW nobody in the US wants a small hatchback. This site is great stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
maverick

Quote:
I will contact John directly and work with him to find a suitable time. I can't head up this weekend as I will be out of town. We will see if Sat 16 Jan will work. I think I can do it then.

If someone else can do it before then then that's fine. Otherwise I will do my part to advance ti technology another notch.

It is amazing how active this community is considering the car is out of production 10+ years and according to BMW nobody in the US wants a small hatchback. This site is great stuff.
Darren, that is fantastic, thanks from me and all the group as I know even if not all of them buy one once it is ready that they will be happy we are keeping the ti spirit alive and that those who do get one of them will be the envy of all the rest LOL!!!

Work with John as to when and how it suits you both and that is fine, we have waited this long a week or two won't matter too much and thanks.

Dave
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
DSKM3

OK folks - I spoke with John today and I'm heading up Sat morning (16 Jan) so he can get the fitment details he needs and we can get this thing moving.

I will post afterwards to let you all know how it went.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
maverick

Default Fantastic

Quote:
OK folks - I spoke with John today and I'm heading up Sat morning (16 Jan) so he can get the fitment details he needs and we can get this thing moving.

I will post afterwards to let you all know how it went.
That is great news, I hope it goes well and keep in touch, I am sure everyone appreciates your efforts and I know I sure do.

Dave

Last edited by maverick; 01-16-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: misspelling