318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,008,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
UberWagen

Default Need an opinion on BS Coil Overs

So initially, I was going to buy a suspension kit from turner motorsports for like $795 shipped, came with bilstein sport shocks/struts and H&R sport springs. But I saved up some coin and came across a set of Bilstein PSS coilovers they're selling for like $1040. Dampening is non-adjustable and drop height varies 1"-1.75".

Anybody got any opinions or reviews on these coils? They aren't PSS9 or PSS10, just plain PSS. From what I've heard from the E46 & VW crowd, they love them. Wanted to get an opinion from my our crowd before I blow some $$$. As in ride quality, stiffness, overall adjustment, warranty.

Any feedback is appreciated.
UberWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
UberWagen

anyone?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Philly

its always nice to be able to adjust your ride height... i wish i could adjust mine sometimes. Id say go for it, as long as they are new.
Does bilstein offer lifetime warranty on there coilovers as well?

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
MPWR

Height adjustment sounds cool- until you realize you need to pay for another alignment each time you mess with them. Unless you are using the car primarily for track driving, coil overs aren't worth bothering with.

Bavauto has a full set of Bilstein sports and lowering springs for $650. Install them, align it all one, and enjoy.

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
pdxmotorhead

Aligning can be done yourself, If you buy about 300 bucks worth of tools.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
UberWagen

Thanks. Now I'm just leaning towards H&R sports and bilstein sports. Or maybe Koni sports?..But it would make more sense to get the H&R springs/Sport shocks&struts and use the extra money to buy camber bars for the rear wouldn't it? I've heard mixed reviews about the BavAuto springs. I've heard their made in Taiwan and aren't as forgiving as progressive springs. I'd rather have the German made, Progressive H&R's. I really appreciate the input. Anybody wanna give opinions on camber adjustment bars? Ireland Engineering, TCKline, TurnerMotorsport, BavAuto?
I'm gonna be dropping my car off at the collision center soon due to a Chevy Van rear ending me, so I have a little time to think. Scratched up the paint and scuffed the impact strip, but that's about it. Quite a stout car the 318ti is. But thanks for the input, I'm in high school workin two part time jobs-minimum wage FTW-so I'm really strapped on time and need to be putting money back for Engineering school. I wouldn't have time to do alignments every time I wanna drop it.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
spidertri

Vehicles

I have the bilstein/H&R sport combo and I love it. I couldn't afford the extra money for the koni adjustables at the time but I like the idea of being able to adjust the damping. Make sure to get some nice quality rear shock mounts (I have the rogue mounts).

The rear camber weld-in tabs are definitely an awesome thing to have too, if you are installing those you should also replace the subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings at the same time.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
UberWagen

Weld in tabs? I'm only familiar with the bolt in rear camber adjustment, what are the tabs? I got some rear shock mounts off of Turner Motorsport that have a lifetime warranty and I've got the rear shock mount reinforcement plates for the front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I have the bilstein/H&R sport combo and I love it. I couldn't afford the extra money for the koni adjustables at the time but I like the idea of being able to adjust the damping. Make sure to get some nice quality rear shock mounts (I have the rogue mounts).

The rear camber weld-in tabs are definitely an awesome thing to have too, if you are installing those you should also replace the subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings at the same time.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
MPWR

Again if you're not tracking the car, there's not much point to camber plates- unless you just really enjoy buying new tires. They are not going to make your car any better for street use. Skip the track stuff until you are willing/able/happy to pay for a track car. Don't do it to your daily driver.

$650 is a decent price just for a full set of Bilsteins. It's like Bav throws in their springs for free. I don't know how good they are, I've just heard that they don't suck. (Yes, personally I'd take H&Rs all other things being equal). But you can put them on in drive them for a while (a few months or years). If you don't like them, sell them used for $50 and get some H&Rs, and you're still about even.

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
UberWagen

Sorry for the miscommunication, I wouldn't be in the market of camber adjustment for tracking it. I just thought I would get those to compensate for the negative camber you get from lowering it. But thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
Again if you're not tracking the car, there's not much point to camber plates- unless you just really enjoy buying new tires. They are not going to make your car any better for street use. Skip the track stuff until you are willing/able/happy to pay for a track car. Don't do it to your daily driver.

$650 is a decent price just for a full set of Bilsteins. It's like Bav throws in their springs for free. I don't know how good they are, I've just heard that they don't suck. (Yes, personally I'd take H&Rs all other things being equal). But you can put them on in drive them for a while (a few months or years). If you don't like them, sell them used for $50 and get some H&Rs, and you're still about even.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberWagen View Post
Weld in tabs? I'm only familiar with the bolt in rear camber adjustment, what are the tabs? I got some rear shock mounts off of Turner Motorsport that have a lifetime warranty and I've got the rear shock mount reinforcement plates for the front and rear.
The only rear camber options the ti has are adjustable bushings (which don't work) and weld-in camber kits, not sure what you are referring to.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote