318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,918 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,890 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,301 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,405 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
fourbanger

I'm considering putting in an M3 clutch pretty soon, but I'm not so sure about how to put in the master cylinder too. Is it a direct swap? Is there a need to modify anything?

Also, how much would a used M3 clutch go for? Friend of mine is selling his and he apparently didn't use it much. Bastard has that TMS clutch kit that weighs like 11lbs altogether...
Old 06-26-2003, 09:25 PM   #2
318tibimmer

ok, don't use an M3 Clutch in your ti, go get after market it will end up holding more HP and it would be new. I would not put a used clutch into my car. I got a McCloud very nice, holds 300HP.
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
fourbanger

if I went aftermarket i'd blow it all on the 11lbs clutch+flywheel combo.. but the point is that i want to retain nice civility, have good clutch feel and be able to replace easily with bmw parts (which are easier to get here than aftermarket). Plus, what's the point of a 300hp clutch if the car doesn't throw out anything close to it? The stock M3 clutch held those 240hp just fine.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:53 AM   #4
318tibimmer

Ok, do what you like, but when you have to replace that used clutch in the near future - Be sure and post it - the McCloud aftermarket clutch that I got is a irect fit, just Clutch disk and pressure plate, there is nothing goofy that you have to do, it just fits right in there. I have pics if you want them. From my experence it is not a good idea to use used parts like a clutch. - that is like putting used brakes on your car, I mean common, it makes me sad to see someone try to skimp on their car, when they will just end up forking over more money to make the car run right again. - My best wishes to you - hope it works
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #5
fourbanger

Well, the clutch has five very easy miles on it.. basically it was drive from the dealership to my friends shop and out it went, with the rest of the transmission... hm.. M3 tranny.. ooooh.. didn't think about that..

so really, I don't see how i'm "skimping" on the car, considering i'm getting the clutch dirt cheap and it's essentially knew. To be perfectly honest, the only time I see the need to go aftermarket for a clutch is when you've got 400whp and the stock clutch just ain't gonna handle it.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #6
bimmerboi318

well the M3 clutch sounds pretty much new. id do it as long as it fits alright. as with the M3 tranny...i wouldnt. its probably geared higher than our stock ti's. you'd suffer in acceleration if it is. i think the ratios are closer in our ti tranny too. although thats just what i am guessing. maybe the only reason our cars are geared down is the rear end. but if the tranny from the M3 is geared up, i'd hold on that until you've got a 6 cylinder or something. plus you'll probably need an odd length drive shaft.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
J!m

Vehicles

The M3 trans has the same ratios as the ti. Just the diff. is different.

The drive shaft from the M3 will have to be used with the M3 tranny.

The M3 tranny bolts right up to the four. You will need to move the tranny mount to the other holes, and you will need the shifter support (that aluminum cast part) and linkage from the M3 as well.

The M3 clutch works fine, just replace the SLAVE cylinder, not the clutch master- there's no need. Or your leg will be HUGE (thanks to Rogue for that tip). I assume the pressure plate is to be replaced with the clutch disc- no advantage otherwise. the clutch is a bastard to bleed out. You have to do as good as possible, then drive it to work out the rest of the air. I asked the dealers- they all say the same thing.

I have been using the ti tranny with the 3.2 for a while now and there are no problems to report. I'm holding out for a Euro M3 6-speed...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
fourbanger

well.. actually.. it is a euro six-speed :P
but i got dibs on it!

Don't ask me why he changed it. In my opinion he's done quite a few questionable things with that M3... I feel sorry just looking at the mockery of an engine he's got in it... German engineers drop dead when they see that thing. Sure it runs great, but good lord, ever heard of order? I'll see if i can get a picture so you guys can see what i mean..

at any rate, basically anything that i get off that car is euro M3. Any other parts I outta be looking for?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #9
deleonl1

J!m,

What kind of differential are you using?

-Larry
deleonl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #10
J!m

Vehicles

I'm using the complete M Roadster rear sub-frame, not just the diff. This way I have the heavy trailing arms, M3 brakes etc. (plus Limited Slip) The stock ti drive shaft bolts right up to it, and it bolts to the car with no modifications. Only the brake lines have to be 're-engineered' due to the hose location on the M3 rear calipers.

If the Euro 6-speed trans is to be used in a ti, the euro drive shaft will be needed as well, no doubt. I think (If anyone knows, correct me) the Euro 6-speed is longer overall than the us M3 5-speed tranny. The Euro tranny mount may also be needed. Again, I'm not sure, but I would get it just in case. Also- the Euro 6-speed's input shaft MAY have different splines than the US motor's clutch disc. It may be necessary to use a Euro clutch DISC with a US pressure plate and flywheel. Alternately, the entire flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly from the Euro M3 could be used. Don't forget that pilot bearing. That may be different as well...

(it's never easy...)

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote