318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Silver00spike

Default 97 318ti and 99m3. What problems will my shop run into?

I will most likely buy the car next wednesday, and take the engine, transmission, and whole front suspension from it. I'd like to know what problems my shop will run into with the install. I remember reading something about a/c lines.

I also have a UUC Stage2 flywheel with E34m5 clutch in my car. What would be the best way to keep that in the car?

Thanks in advance!

I will also be taking off my DASC supercharger, and putting that on Ebay
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

How much are you charging for your S/C?
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Silver00spike

I've been offered $2100, but hoping to sell it for more. It needs a new belt, but those things are cheap. It has 10k miles on it
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
SportAuto

I'm in the process of completing a 98 M3/98 Ti swap in my shop right now (see my other post re: S52 swap). I'd be more than happy to share my findings with you, as info is pretty limited on OBDII swaps...

Tucker
SLO, CA
SportAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
Dredder

Power steering line and a/c line should come from the M3. Also the shop needs to know how to sync the EWS. You can either that you can take it to the dealer for sync (GT1 or similar diagnostic tool). The clutch and flywheel setup should be able to migrate without issues. I recommend getting new clutch disc but not necessary. You can leave the radiator but make sure you install the 80C thermostat to keep the engine cool (if you live in a sunny environment recommend going with m3 radiator and bottom support). If you are using the M3 transmission you will need to modify the shift linkage, if going with 318ti tranny it’s a bolt on. If you’re using 318ti front suspension it will work but it rides really low. Ideal get M3 front shock and spring setup. M3 sway bar connects to strut while 318ti connects to LCA. Once you’re done with the swap you will enjoy the heck out of your car again. You will no longer smell your opponents exhaust fumes. Make sure you get fresh synthetic oil for your tranny and differential. I recommend using either the royal blue or redline product. It’s really thick. Get fresh brake pads if you’re going to stay with 318ti brakes.
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Silver00spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredder
Power steering line and a/c line should come from the M3. Also the shop needs to know how to sync the EWS. You can either that you can take it to the dealer for sync (GT1 or similar diagnostic tool). The clutch and flywheel setup should be able to migrate without issues. I recommend getting new clutch disc but not necessary. You can leave the radiator but make sure you install the 80C thermostat to keep the engine cool (if you live in a sunny environment recommend going with m3 radiator and bottom support). If you are using the M3 transmission you will need to modify the shift linkage, if going with 318ti tranny it’s a bolt on. If you’re using 318ti front suspension it will work but it rides really low. Ideal get M3 front shock and spring setup. M3 sway bar connects to strut while 318ti connects to LCA. Once you’re done with the swap you will enjoy the heck out of your car again. You will no longer smell your opponents exhaust fumes. Make sure you get fresh synthetic oil for your tranny and differential. I recommend using either the royal blue or redline product. It’s really thick. Get fresh brake pads if you’re going to stay with 318ti brakes.

Thanks a lot! I recently put in a 3.45 LSD from a clubsport, should I just keep it? I am swapping the whole front suspension, including brakes, so thats no issue.

So everything pretty much bolts on if I use the stock tranny? Is there any reason not to use the stock tranny?

What kind of performance can I expect with this setup. I know 0-60 doesn't tell that much, but I figure if an M-coupe weighs 200lbs more, then I should be close to m5 territory?

What do I do about the exhaust? I currently have a remus system
Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Dredder

If you have ways to monitor what your exhaust temps like the GT1 diagnostic then you might get away with just modifying from catalytic to M3 headers. You probably wont get the same performace increase as going with custom exhaust. In regards to the 3.45 differential, if you are not abusing your car then the stock lsd might last(who knows). The stock tranny is good for 400whp from what the dealer mechanics told me. Other than that i believe if your just going mild mods on an m3 swap i dont see why not. You might just need to flush the oil more often than usaul (synthetic at that).

Hope fully it stays sunny this weekend. If it does i might be at PIR. lets just hope it doesnt rain.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
SportAuto

I'm having fitment issues with the stock tranny- the shift tower and rod must be shortened by 1/2 inch. The M roadster diff flange sits 1/2" forward of the stocker as well, so the driveshaft must be shortened accordingly to compensate.

Tucker
Old 06-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
SportAuto

The M3 ps line won't fit, I had the stocker shortened and bent to accordingly- don't forget the restrictor. Also, only one of the M3 AC lines will bolt right in, the one from the compressor to the condensor. The M3 line to the evaporator has a larger fitting at the firewall flange than the Ti, so I've had to cut the fitting off the stock Ti line and fit it to the M3 hose. My shortened shift tower and linkage placed the shifter perfectly- have 1/2" removed from both if you intend to use the stock trans. Still waiting on the shortened driveshaft and proper axles.

Tucker
SLO, CA
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Dredder

What year is your TI and the motor?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #11
SportAuto

98/98. As of 30mins ago, it runs! I recieved the DS and axles this morning- the 1 inch shorter DS fits perfectly, and the 27mm I.D. CV joints from the M3 axles will fit the stockers fine.

Tucker
Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #12
Dredder

On my Ti, the AC line from 97 m3 was used from the compressor bumper connector and to the connector next to the battery. The rest of the AC line was from the stock TI. We used the 95 M3 power steering line. see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...50&hg=32&fg=20. Number 5 and 8.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 AM   #13
Silver00spike

unfortunately the donor car had undercarriage damage, and I didn't want to risk it. So back to the hunt
Old 06-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #14
maurolin

what are you looking for??

what exhaust u using??? I have a 1995 M3 with the Cats removed I am gonna sell cheap!. My new track pipe will arrive on the 10th. I need bigger flow for the s.charger I am gonna install.
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
Silver00spike

I'm looking for a salvaged e36 m3 donor car, under 100k miles, for $4k