318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
BMWbeauty416

Default Short Shifters

Wondering about thoughts and who maybe has short shifters - mostly wondering about the word that a Z3 shifter can be moded to fit without to much trouble and reduce throw by somewhere around 30%

thanks

~*Teg*~
BMWbeauty416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default I have a UUC Evo II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbeauty416
Wondering about thoughts and who maybe has short shifters - mostly wondering about the word that a Z3 shifter can be moded to fit without to much trouble and reduce throw by somewhere around 30%

thanks

~*Teg*~
I think it is great little notchy. But deffinetly shorter. I know some people have done the Z3 thing.

-Chad
Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
PettitWC

I don't have one but I've been looking at them too.

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
L84THSKY

I installed the M-coupe shifter last summer. The BEST $50.00 you can spend on your car. You will need to bent the selector arm. I have posted pics of the shifter previously, and even a video showing me going through all gears while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbeauty416

thanks

~*Teg*~

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:08 AM   #5
2ndBimmer

Smile

I dont have a Z3 shifter (BavAuto one, $$ sheesh) but its worth it!
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
BMWbeauty416

Wow thanks for all the feed back! So overall I guess no matter how you do it everyone has been more than pleased with their short throw.
Just gotta save the money to do it now ;} and thanks L84THSKY I will do a search!

~*Teg*~
BMWbeauty416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
96cali

Yeah lots of SSK discussion over the years. I also recommend checking out Chris at understeer.com ($75) and someone else had a B&M shifter that they highly praised. Just be sure it keeps your shift knob centered and does not push it right or left- PITA.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
L84THSKY

That was the tricky part about using the M-coupe shifter. When I put it in, it rubbed the drive shaft. When I bent it to clear the drive shaft, it didn't sit centered, front to back or right to left. My brother and I heated up the selector rod three times before we had the shifter sitting dead center. It was well worth the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
Yeah lots of SSK discussion over the years. I also recommend checking out Chris at understeer.com ($75) and someone else had a B&M shifter that they highly praised. Just be sure it keeps your shift knob centered and does not push it right or left- PITA.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
schussey

B&M B&M B&M!!!!!

...or UUC
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #10
Panzer_M

chris got me on the UUC Evo III over at understeer.com

and I love it.
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
L84THSKY

Default Straight From Understeer's Mouth!

This was on the Understeer website.

"Shift Lever Install
The stock shift lever in a BMW is not very "sporty" feeling. The shift throw is pretty smooth, but the length between gears is quite long. This has inspired almost every BMW related tuner to release a short shift kit (SSK) of some kind ranging in price from $200 to almost $1000!!! All of them tout some feature that makes them better than OEM and other aftermarket levers, but the fact remains that the most important part of a SSK is to reduce shift throw length. With that in mind, wouldn't you rather pay $60 or less for a SSK? I know I would, but there's always going to be the folks that feel that they need to spend hundreds on a SSK, those folks can stop reading now."

They are telling you not to spend alot of money on a fancy shifter. So why then would anyone drop down $200.00+ for a non OEM one.

The best upgrades are the ones that work, and save you money. That where a M shifter comes in. The other great deal is fogging the airbox, over all these fancy CAI's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M

and I love it.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M

and I love it.
Panzer- What's the cost and performance difference between his $75 BMW kit and the UUC? Is the BMW a repackaged Z3 rod?

Shussey- what made you go B&M?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
L84THSKY

This is all you need, did it last August.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/M3Parts.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/M3Shifter.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
Panzer- What's the cost and performance difference between his $75 BMW kit and the UUC? Is the BMW a repackaged Z3 rod?

Shussey- what made you go B&M?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
needle332rur

I used to have a bunch of different e30's and i worked at a BMW resoration shop. we used to take the stock shifters out and have the welder cut and add about a half an inch on the bottom of the shifter. I had another e30 with a bav auto complete shift kit (all the linkages) and to be honest there was not that much of a difference. Also Grassroots motorsports did an artical on short shifters in their e36 m3 and they said that the B&M was the most expensive and the worst. Sometime the product that cost the most is not the best.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote