318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,007,793 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
pnosker

All four of mine were cracked. They give a vacuum to the fuel injectors so they can inject properly... I think.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
b.u.ti-ful

My injector squid thing was all cracked too but the car ran fine. I changed it out last weekend anyway and the car seems to run exactly the same to me. But maybe I got to it in time.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Bobbak

thanks guys im gonna go check right now
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
marko

cleaning on the MAF does not generally work... it is a very thin & fine metal element inside that goes bad.
however, YES, it should throw some kind of a code - & to boot, when it fails - it is very appearent... i.e. feels like the car is simply cutin off under (hard) acceleration.

also, people often miss the most obvious things (speaking from experience) - & so have you checked your plugs & plug wires?
you may have a misfire due to a bad plug or cracked plug cable + check the connection between the plug wires & the ignition coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbak View Post
well i took the MAF off today and cleaned it with electrical parts cleaner and ut it back it helped and i also poured seafoam in my gas to clean that gunk up as well but do you know for sure that my MAF is bad i mean im not even get a CEL or a CODE for it
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
Gene

You may have a weak grounding cable from your engine to the chassis. You can place a good set of jumper cables from the motor to a good chassis ground to test this. Over time the ground wires see so much stress from passing current and the elements they start to create a lot of resistance.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #21
Bobbak

i dont think its the fuel vac lines they seemed pretty soft. i dont know where the groundings are from the battery the + should go to the started and the - should go to the body of the car? i think?

as far as the code its still reading the same one 1286 i just got new plugs and dont really know an effective way of testing my new spark plug wires to see if they are good or not maybe an AMP meter?

so tomorrow im gonna run the codes again and see if im getting the same code or a different one then check my plugs again thencheck my grounds and my hoses again then ill go from there

if anyone has even a few words to say about this BIG problem it will help me

thanks again guys
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #22
Marv17

wish i can help you out bobby. but dont know what it can be. when we went for a ride to pepboys your car seemed okay. just a lil backfire soundish. but i dunno. it sucks and annoying when you cant figure something out like that...
but thanks again for helping me out on sunday. cars runs a bit better.
you still want to go halves on the peake tool right? i believe its like 105 shipped or so...

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #23
Bobbak

yeah we are gonna go 50/50 on it

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
b.u.ti-ful

Did you check the fuel vent pipes are not restricted?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #25
Bobbak

what is a fuel vent pipe?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #26
318racer

i think its your crankshaft position sensor.on RealOEM it is listed as "pulse generator - crankshaft". Any shop you go to would refer to it as a crank position sensor. Here it is on RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=11&fg=10

It's #14 on that illustration. Part #12141247622

my friends car had what seems to be the same problem and it got fixed.

just a suggestion im no mechanic though... hope it helps
318racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
Bobbak

but its not throwing a CEL for any of the things you guys have names thats whats weird

Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
marko

crank position sensor was going to be my first guess as well - since I had the same problem - & replacing the sensor helped/fixed the problem - but in my case it DID throw the code 'crank position sensor'...

maybe you wanna change the cam & the crank position sensors just in case - they are not too expensive but it will eliminate a lot of guessing.

I'm still voting for the MAF issue, though...

good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318racer View Post
i think its your crankshaft position sensor.on RealOEM it is listed as "pulse generator - crankshaft". Any shop you go to would refer to it as a crank position sensor. Here it is on RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=11&fg=10

It's #14 on that illustration. Part #12141247622

my friends car had what seems to be the same problem and it got fixed.

just a suggestion im no mechanic though... hope it helps
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #29
b.u.ti-ful

I did a search on the web for code 1286 and everybody says low octane gas.

Maybe you got a bad tank of gas somewhere?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #30
Bobbak

i have used 91 octane for the past 2 years NO exceptions

i dont get it im not getting any CELS but my engine occasionally runs like crap i cant accelerate fast like just flooring it and going i have to slowly accelerate and when my ac is on my idel acts extremely crazy and is very very close to stalling

one more trip to the dealer for parts and im doing an engine swap

screw the m42 motor