318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,038 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #76
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer View Post
Sea Foamed the engine and drove it around for about a 100 miles. Changed the oil and took it up there. Passed this time with a score of 83 instead on 232. Wow! Sea Foam FTW
That's awesome Will, congrats. I know California has stricter emissions than the rest of the US, but dang! Our hydrocarbons are measured in PPM (parts per million) and the maximum allowed for us is 60 @ 15mph and 43 @ 25mph. My engine only had 28k miles on it when I seafoamed it and the main reason I did it was because I had drove around with a bad o2 sensor for a couple months and was due for an oil change and a smog test. The inspector that tested my car was shocked when the results showed zero carbon monoxide and zero nitrogen oxide. My odometer read 130k, but the motor was practically brand new. I did the same thing as you as far as oil goes. Poured half a can in the oil, drove it for about 100 miles on premium gas then changed the oil. I also installed brand new o2 sensors just prior to taking the car in to be tested. The results speak for themselves:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....2&postcount=30

I highly recommend seafoam to people. It's not a "cure-all" by any means, but if you want a clean running engine, you should definitely consider trying it.

Ralliart10 give it a shot, it's really easy. Just have someone in the car to keep the rpm's around 2-3k and don't allow the seafoam to get sucked in too fast. Keep the hose about 1/2" away from the actual seafoam and allow it to suck it in slowly as to not hydrolock. You may want to have a small hose clamp handy since BMW used crimp-style (1 time use)hose clamps on the brake booster hose. Other than that, shoot me a PM if you run into any snags, I can walk you though it over the phone
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #77
AlexanderWayne

Default I think i messed up!!

Good morning everyone, I put the seafoam in the gas tank first.Then the next day i poured 1/2 of the next can into engine oil.Then i disconnected the brake booster cable and attached my hose to the intake manifold.I started the car and i could feel the suction so i slowly poured the remaining half of the seafoam slowly into the clear plastic tube.To be extra careful i used a funnel at the end im using half way thru i took the funnel out and just like CoolJess said the air pressure was sucking the seafoam out of the can when close enough.With my finger over the opening of the seafoam can i continued pouring so slow my arm was getting tired.I didn't see any smoke.I turned off the car and let it sit for 45mins.When i started it up again it sounded great but no smoke.Drove about 7 miles on the highway and still no smoke.Not sure where i went wrong any advice would be appreciated.My main questions are is it possible i poured too slow?and when would it be safe to try again? I did this by myself with tube hooked up and me sitting behind the wheel revving the engine between 1000 and 2000.Could this be the problem but the tube stretched long enough with no problem? Any insight is appreciated and when would it be safe to try again?
AlexanderWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #78
Ralliart10

Maybe your engine was clean?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #79
pdxmotorhead

I've used it on a lot of marine engines and the smoke seems to be somewhat related to how much oil scum you have in the intake manifold.

If you want smoke pour a teaspoon of marvel mystery oil in the intake... LOL

Marvel works a lot like the seafoam, I use it on engines that have been parked before I start them, drizzle about 1 tsp in the spark plug hole and let it soak for a while, spin the motor with no plugs to blow it out and then put the plugs back in.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #80
AlexanderWayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart10 View Post
Maybe your engine was clean?

I hope so.1995 ti with125k miles I figured my car would smoke for like 30mins because of the seafoam.I just want to know how soon before I try again?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #81
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'd wait a few thousand miles. In hindsight, maybe 45 minutes was a little too long. FWIW, my engine only had 25-30k miles on it when I did it. It smoked, what seemed like a lot to me, but I've done other cars since then that smoked much more than mine did.

Change your oil after about a hundred or so miles. Put another 5000 miles on the car and try it again. Perhaps only let it sit for about 20 minutes after you feed it the seafoam.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #82
AlexanderWayne

Default Thanks

Thanks for information CoolJess.
I also have to say thanks again that window regulator write up saved my life.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #83
AlexanderWayne

Default seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I've used it on a lot of marine engines and the smoke seems to be somewhat related to how much oil scum you have in the intake manifold.

If you want smoke pour a teaspoon of marvel mystery oil in the intake... LOL

Marvel works a lot like the seafoam, I use it on engines that have been parked before I start them, drizzle about 1 tsp in the spark plug hole and let it soak for a while, spin the motor with no plugs to blow it out and then put the plugs back in.

Dave
Thanks for that smoke tip.
Have you tried seafoam recently?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #84
Reguile

I did the seafoam treatment on my car too. Let it suck it through the brake booster line via pouring seafoam into a cup and slowly allowing it to bring it in. Poured a little under half into the oil.
No smoke what so ever, I used about half a can. I've done this on a Celica and it made it smoke like crazy so I'm really baffled. Just bought this car, maybe the previous owner did it before he sold it, or a similar process. 121k miles on car.
So with my baffled mind going bugging me, I decided to park the car after a.. brisk drive, open the hood, and check things out. Everything seemed fine except for the plastic around the radiator cap, it was wet with a semi gritty liquid. Idk if it was just a collection of water, didn't have a smell.. didn't really have a taste.. Roads were a little bit wet, and maybe not having under panel for my car, water collected up there.. yes I tasted it.

I have ran sea foam in the gas tank before this, and never in the oil/im.
Maybe the engine is clean.. seems to idle a little bit better.. keyword, seems. Could just be me, cause engine was completely warmed up once I did test drive it.
Reguile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #85
planksta

Alright well Jess has once again impressed me, im sold on his stuff now, have to try it
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #86
jggonzalez

I had my mechanic do this to Trixie. She was in his shop getting an oil change and I asked him if he had heard of Seafoam. He said he used it all the time and would do it to my car for $10. I told him to go ahead. She seems to rev much more freely and with more authority than she used to.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #87
planksta

If I just feed a half a can in through the brake booster line will I still have to change the oil after a hundred miles or would I be safe to not change it because i just changed my oil like a hundred miles ago
Old 12-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #88
Reguile

I think if you add seafoam into the oil directly you will.. not through the brake booster line.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #89
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguile View Post
I think if you add seafoam into the oil directly you will.. not through the brake booster line.
thats good news, anyone else want to confirm this also, cause i have alot of hesitation and rough idle and want to get a good clean through there
Old 12-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #90
Reguile

You should be fine if you don't add it to the oil directly lol. I don't think it'll get into your oil through the head unless you have a marred cylinder wall.. Not saying I'm 100% sure on it, I'm not exactly a mechanic.
My 318 didn't smoke or anything when I did add it to the brake booster line but it did feel alot more smooth when driving after I did it, idles nicer now too. If you got poor idle problems, I'd say do it now, and add it to your oil later.