318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
Today 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
Today 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 211 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,096 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 316 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 517 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,356 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
hsvbama318ti

Default Port and Polish

I have spent over $8000 dollars on **** for my car and it is still slow as piss compared to what I want. It is time i get into what will really do something and that is internal engine modifications. I want to port and polish and get my head reworked and I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me in if there are any negative side effects to this and what the performance gains could be. I dont like turbos and superchargers on an engine that already has a 10:1 compression ratio and i just like natural aspiration more anyways but I may have to do that as well. My friend has an 88 325 and I used to smoke the hell out of that car but then one day he pulled up and had 10psi running and a split second system and is now running low 8s in the 1/8 mile. ****!!!!! Thank You.
hsvbama318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
L84THSKY

Finally.......some objective criticism. Now I just need to read through your mod list and see what's in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvbama318ti
I have spent over $8000 dollars on **** for my car and it is still slow as piss compared to what I want. It is time i get into what will really do something and that is internal engine modifications. I want to port and polish and get my head reworked and I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me in if there are any negative side effects to this and what the performance gains could be. I dont like turbos and superchargers on an engine that already has a 10:1 compression ratio and i just like natural aspiration more anyways but I may have to do that as well. My friend has an 88 325 and I used to smoke the hell out of that car but then one day he pulled up and had 10psi running and a split second system and is now running low 8s in the 1/8 mile. ****!!!!! Thank You.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
m44ic

If you are going to do some internal modding and want to stay a N/A car you should consider raising compression and a good port and polish of the head always does good things. Hope this helps
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
hsvbama318ti

Thanks! I Love the car I just need more power! But I know most of my modifications are suspension to try to get the car to handle like it is on rails.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
L84THSKY

So the lightweight flywheel did nothing?

Quote:
Thanks! I Love the car I just need more power! But I know most of my modifications are suspension to try to get the car to handle like it is on rails.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
I have spent over $8000 dollars on **** for my car and it is still slow as piss compared to what I want.

Other than the chip, you really haven't done much for engine performance.

Port and polish will help, but there are other things you can do to make the motor breath better. Dinan high flow throttle body and a true cold-air intake would be my next step.

If the rings and bearings are good, pulling the head isn't a bad idea. While you have the head off for a port and polish, consider getting a street or mild race camshafts. Might as well put on new valve springs, lifters and fuel injectors while everything is apart.

This is not a very good dollar per hp value but you keep your NA M42.

You don't want a DASC. The other best way to get a lot more power is an engine swap.

You could also put your car on a diet. Empty any cargo out of the car. Take out the hatch cover, the rear seat, the carpet. If you have power seats, sell them and get manual sport seats. Remove the A/C. Consider ditching the tools and spare tire and move the battery to the rear.
Might as well keep the door panels, they don't weigh much and it is nice to be able to close the door.
Andrew_Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
derekva

Default How about something like this?

There is a gent in England on www.e36coup.co.uk who is doing an ITB setup using 2/3 of an S50 Euro individual throttle body setup (Throttle body parts 1&2 and 5&6). Here's a picture of the throttle bodies and here is the thread about the ITB setup.

-Derek
'95 318i (a Ti with a trunk and improved rear suspension)
derekva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekva
There is a gent in England on www.e36coup.co.uk who is doing an ITB setup using 2/3 of an S50 Euro individual throttle body setup (Throttle body parts 1&2 and 5&6). Here's a picture of the throttle bodies and here is the thread about the ITB setup.

-Derek
'95 318i (a Ti with a trunk and improved rear suspension)
Interesting read. Wonder if that will be better or worse than the Dinan throttle body. Using ITB means no more DISA.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
derekva

Default Sounds like there's more going on...

Looks like he's putting a new set of cams, doing some head work, new chip, etc. along with the ITBs. Alone they probably wouldn't do a lot, but if you make modifications that require more airflow to function properly, then the ITB setup would be a good way to go.

I'd love to build an S42 motor for my car (e.g. 2.0L motorsport version of the M42) and have a few 328's and M3's for lunch at the track.

-Derek
'95 318i
derekva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
AlaskaBlue

That is cool. BMP Desing sells ITBs, but they cost a lot...Those guys on that thread seem to be pretty serious about their M42/44 engines.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Andrew_Debbie

I don't understand spending thousands of dollars getting a NA M44 to noisey 180HP and giving up all chances of passing emmissions at the same time.

For the same price a DASC gives more power and keeps the car smog legal.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 AM   #12
barische

jsut swap out that 4 banger and slap on a turbo charged e36 3.0 liter euro spec engine u will be running 300 hp at the crank and get the euro 6sp tranny man that would be a beast
Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 AM   #13
AlaskaBlue

if you have a turbo charged 3.0 euro spec motor with 300 bhp there are some major problems with the engine. A stock euro 3.0 makes 286 at the crank stock. I would say 400 bhp with a modest a modest turbo kit. That would be fun.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
hsvbama318ti

I appreciate everybodys help and useful opinions i know i will look into the throttle body but I know that will bring minimal benefit. I guess most of my money that I have spent has also went to the handling and transmission aspect of the car but I will make my first step today and change out the 2 1/2 piping that I had put on back to 2" straight through due to the lack of backpressure and therefore power. My next step will be the cams and headwork but I may get the head shaved as well and there goes the turbo and supercharge options because I already have 10:1 as do all of you with the m42 and that would possibly put the compression through the roof thus eliminating the use of the mosselman kit or the dasc. One tip that may be useful to all of you running the turbo or dasc setup is the use of split second products. Just to give you all an idea of how beneficial these products are my friend has an 88 325is with a custom turbo setup running 10psi and the only other mod being a split second system. He has factory exhaust and air setup. It is truly a sleeper, not even any suspension or wheels or anything. He runs mid 8s in the 1/8 mile.

Again thank you all!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #15
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
My next step will be the cams and headwork but I may get the head shaved as well
Depending on the amount of lift in your new cams, you may have piston to valve clearance problems if you shave the head. You should ask about piston to valve clearance when you buy the camshafts.

BTW I think doing the handeling and brake mods first was the right thing.

No point in having all that power if all you can do is slide into a tree.