318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,008,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
andyman7931

Default clutch

when I went out for lunch today I tried starting in 2nd from a traffic light, just like I do in my jeep. I feathered the clutch just like I do when starting in 2nd, but instead of catching and going, the engine revved up to 4k and I didn't go anywhere. This was after I'd totally let the pedal out all the way. Is this a sign of needing a clutch, or should I just not ride the clutch at all. The car is just shy of 100k miles. I've only had it 3 weeks, so I don't know its history.

I'm paranoid because I've never had a clutch wear out on me, I've always replaced them when I was doing other work and had the engine or transmission out for other reasons.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931
when I went out for lunch today I tried starting in 2nd from a traffic light, just like I do in my jeep. I feathered the clutch just like I do when starting in 2nd, but instead of catching and going, the engine revved up to 4k and I didn't go anywhere. This was after I'd totally let the pedal out all the way. Is this a sign of needing a clutch, or should I just not ride the clutch at all. The car is just shy of 100k miles. I've only had it 3 weeks, so I don't know its history.

I'm paranoid because I've never had a clutch wear out on me, I've always replaced them when I was doing other work and had the engine or transmission out for other reasons.
Taking off in 2nd will make your clutch wear out fast, too much slippage. Sounds like you need a new one. Time for the UUC flywheel and m5 clutch setup.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
318tibimmer

It could be your clutch, but there are also other possibilities. I had a problem about 3 months ago where the Yoke Nut came loose and the driveshaft sliped off the output shaft of the tranny. I have also seen the T/O Bearing arm become dis-aligned from the Slave Cyln. You just need to check it out. Don't run out and buy a bunch of parts yet, find out what you need.
Custom Cold Air Intake, Custom IAT controller, SuperSprint Exhaust, High Flow CAT, Long Tube Header, H&R 'Race' Lowering springs, Short Shifter, JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel, M3 Clutch Kit w/Rogue Semi-Metalic Disk, Zex Nitrous System, Euro Clear Corners, Elipsoid Headlights w/Halos, Eyebrows, Window Tinting, Invisible Bra
318tibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
andyman7931

to diagnose something, won't I need to pull the tranny off? If I'm going to do that, I will go ahead and replace the clutch.

Also, is the flywheel the same as on 6 cylinder e36's? I know a cheap upgrade for them was to use a flywheel from an m20 i engine, just wondered if I can use the same (have one in the garage) What model m5 clutch do I use? I'm guessing s38 powered cars?

I usually start in 2nd in the jeep since it's geared way low, don't try to do that in the bmw unless I'm on a downhill grade (I do live in the mountains)
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
cossieturbo

Do your research here. Look over the posts in this forum and you will see what many think of the factory setup vs. UUC Stage 2 with the 91-93 M5 clutch kit. There is a right way to replace your clutch and about 50 wrong ways. Always put in a new Throwout and Pilot bearing when installing a clutch. Some shops are too lazy and they do not do this.

I would guess you have a glazed Clutch disc or it's just worn. I agree, the "Yoke Nut" is something to check as well. 2nd gear starts are a common reason for having to replace E36 M3 clutches.

The UUC/M5 setup should handle 2nd gear starts much better then the factory junk, but I’m a 1st gear sort. Make sure you break in your new setup before starting the 2nd gear bit again. Also, DON'T hold the clutch peddle in when at a long stop. This wears the Throwout bearing quickly. Best to you mate.

cossieturbo
cossieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote