318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 983,734 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
jmoti

Default Window Regulator Post-Replacement Prob

Hi all,
I replaced my passenger side window regulator last weekend, and it is now exhibiting a strange "shuddering" problem when it goes up or down (moreso when going up). I can feel a pulsation in the main toothed gear, but I'm not sure if it's originating from that or if the window might be somehow out of alignment. I tried playing with all the adjustments, including the alignment arm on the regulator, but nothing seems to help. I've also greased the heck out of all the pivots, gears, and slides, also without benefit. Any ideas before I tear the whole thing apart again? This is frustrating... Thanks!
Kenwood head, Infinity components/6x9's, Infinity 10" sub
jmoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
L84THSKY

Best guess, the bolts holding the regulator to the door frame are loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoti View Post
Hi all,
I replaced my passenger side window regulator last weekend, and it is now exhibiting a strange "shuddering" problem when it goes up or down (moreso when going up). I can feel a pulsation in the main toothed gear, but I'm not sure if it's originating from that or if the window might be somehow out of alignment. I tried playing with all the adjustments, including the alignment arm on the regulator, but nothing seems to help. I've also greased the heck out of all the pivots, gears, and slides, also without benefit. Any ideas before I tear the whole thing apart again? This is frustrating... Thanks!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
jmoti

Thanks for the idea, but I tightened the bejeezus out of them, with lockwashers, nylon nuts, and loctite...so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I also loosened them and tried repositioning the regulator slightly one way or the other, and that didn't help...thanks for the thought!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
L84THSKY

Check the rubber/felt guides that mount in the door. The glass slides along these guides. If the guides are misaligned, the glass will not slide smoothly, this could cause the window to shudder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoti View Post
Thanks for the idea, but I tightened the bejeezus out of them, with lockwashers, nylon nuts, and loctite...so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I also loosened them and tried repositioning the regulator slightly one way or the other, and that didn't help...thanks for the thought!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
jmoti

Thanks! I'll check those next - any suggestions how to see if they're in spec, or just eyeball it?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
bimmerti

I just replaced a regulator yesterday and applied wd40 to the front and rear window slides to allow the window to go up and down much smoother. It only takes a minute and may help
bimmerti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
bimmerti

Default window stop issue

I have a related problem. After swapping the regulator in the driver's door and getting the window back into its front and rear tracks, the window goes up and down without problems. But I haven't been able to figure out how to set the stops and top and bottom... so if i hold the button to go up, the window goes all the way up, senses an obstruction and immediately reverses. On the bottom, it goes to the mechanical stop by rather than stopping, it puts alot of preload on the regulator prior to the motor stopping. How does one adjust the motor stops?
bimmerti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
jmoti

Hi all,
Just to answer my own question - I took the entire regulator assembly apart yesterday, and determined that the "shuddering" is actually coming from the gear interface between the window motor and the new regulator. I'm gonna chalk this up to buying one at a discount off ebay - not to say they're all bad, but in this case I shoulda ponied up for an OEM. They *look* identical, but I'm guessing there are tiny differences in tooth spacing in the aftermarket regulator. Just to check, I re-attached my old bent regulator to the motor, and it moves smooth as silk. Oh well, guess I'll have to make due with a shuddery window till I feel the urge to drop a hundred bucks on a factory regulator. Let this be a lesson.

Bimmerti - to set the stops in the comfort relay, you should roll the window up and down a few times, then set it a one stop (fully up) and hold the up button for ~5s, then roll it down and hold the down button for ~5s. This resets the stops and *should* fix your problem.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Mad-Machine

for what it is worth.. I find that greasing up the sliders once a year is a good idea. When I bought my car it had a broken driver's side window. When I replaced it, I found the factory grease had turned into a hard coating that was actually restricting the movement of the sliders.

Wheel bearing grease works wonders
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
jmoti

Thanks for pointing that out - you're absolutely right. I'm pretty convinced that dried grease is actually the root cause of a lot of the busted regulators, the binding sliders cause the arms to pop out, and it's toast. Good call.