318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,848 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,722 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,084 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
tippythecow

Default Non-Rubber Intake Bellows/Boot?

I recently purchased a 1996 318ti Non ASC+T that had been sitting for a year. Among radiator issues, the stock rubber intake bellows had developed a huge tear. The previous owner also removed the airbox and installed some aftermarket cone air filter. Currently the whole thing (MAF, cone, etc.) dangles from this rubber bellows with no bracing whatsoever.

I've been searching for a solid bellows replacement to avoid future damaged rubber but am open to a full intake kit since I need to replace the filter as well.

Any suggestions? My research has not lead me to an obvious answer. I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone who has experience with aftermarket intake kits/parts.

So far I've found the following:

- K&N Cold Air Intake Kit: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...rivetrain#desc
That appears to be a complete kit with boot, hosing, and brackets - but I'm not sure it's actually compatible.

- Cosmo Short Ram System: http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=124&pid=263
I don't quite understand where the MAF comes into play with this system or if the kit even includes the intake boot that I am concerned about. And I've also read that a short system can potentially decrease performance because it is too close to the hot air from the engine.

- Cosmo CAI Cold Air System: http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=165&pid=559
I am not at all interested in possibility of sucking water into my engine when I hit a puddle so this doesn't seem like a possibility.

This is the original part I am talking about, but mine has duct tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jladdm3 View Post
hey, i need to get a new intake boot for my 95 318ti. what is the other hose that connects to the boot? whats it called? because i need to get a new one of those too. thanks alot
BTW I'm new here, this is my first post/thread and I searched my hardest before posting.

Thanks, tippy
tippythecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

The part is made out of rubber so that it can absorb some of the vibrations of the engine. Since the airbox is mounted and generally shouldn't move, if you were to make the rubber solid it wouldn't allow enough flex and could potentially crack even faster.

I mean, your car is 13 years old and it has lasted most of that time, why not just replace it with the rubber and get at least another 10 years out of it?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM

Last edited by spidertri; 08-17-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: i'm dumb
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg2.htm#item3

Hope this helps, third one down in the link. Replace with original. They are good quality and will last for 5+ years even without support. Welcome to the board...
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
tippythecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
The part is made out of rubber so that it can absorb some of the vibrations of the engine. Since the airbox is mounted and generally shouldn't move if you were to make the rubber solid it would allow enough flex and could potentially crack even faster.
My airbox was removed so this whole thing bounces around freely, that's why I'm interested in a solid replacement. You have a good point of course, I was just hoping to avoid tearing through another rubber boot - without the airbox to support it there seems to be more stress on the boot.

Should I just get a factory airbox or let it dangle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg2.htm#item3

Hope this helps, third one down in the link. Replace with original. They are good quality and will last for 5+ years even without support. Welcome to the board...
Thanks, not a bad price either.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
tippythecow

If they don't need support then I guess I've got nothing to worry about. Thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Times

I had two boots that I recently replaced...just get the part and replace it---as Dave said there is a reason why the parts were engineered how they are, although they aren't indestructible, they are resilient.
Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippythecow View Post
If they don't need support then I guess I've got nothing to worry about. Thanks guys.

Make a support out of aluminum and bolt that to the engine bay somewhere then zip tie the MAF or something to the support...
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
familytruckster

Vehicles

Get the stock setup, someone here has to have one they'd sell.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
campaiar

I do.. I have the airbox & plumbing sitting at home..

PM me if interested.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
tiFreak

Vehicles

the Cosmo Racing CAI has a metal brace that keeps it fixed in place, I've run one since last year, no problems with sucking water in
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27791
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
tippythecow

From what I understand pretty much any intake modifications won't produce any noticeable power improvements. Looks like I might as well just replace my boot and throw together my own support bracket just so it doesn't bounce around too much.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
tippythecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
the Cosmo Racing CAI has a metal brace that keeps it fixed in place, I've run one since last year, no problems with sucking water in
How much rain you get over there, 'cause frankly the idea scares me living in the moist pacific northwest.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #14
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippythecow View Post
How much rain you get over there, 'cause frankly the idea scares me living in the moist pacific northwest.
well this summer it's been raining more than it's been dry, we've had some pretty bad storms I've had to drive through too
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Perci

Default Air Intake System with bellows

I recently studied some people change bellows for fixed silicone hoses in the belief that it improves air flow into the engine. These hoses may indeed provide a smoother path for the air to flow along but the bellows perform a vital function in allowing the distance between the engine and the air intake to vary. The engine moves around on its mounts, especially under hard acceleration, whereas the air intake enclosure is fixed to the chassis. Without the bellows something has got to give and will end up breaking in time – if you’re lucky it’ll be the silicone hoses but could just as easily be the very expensive throttle bodies.
Perci is offline   Reply With Quote