318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 983,734 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-10-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
ddiorio1313

Default Odd Squeak coming front or rear....

Over the past year a strange sqeak has been getting louder and louder coming from under the car. At first I thought it was coming from the front, but now it sounds as if it is coming from the back. I jacked the car up about 2 months ago and visually inspected the shocks/struts and springs. Nothing appeared to be very worn. The bushings appeared to be worn some. The noise doesnt occur if the car bounces up and down, well maybe a little. The squeak really occurs more when the car shifts front to back. Any Ideas...

Another noise that is occuring is slight squeak coming from my steering wheel when at lower speeds and turning the wheel at extreme angles a slight squeak will occur...any ideas?

One final thing when I come to a stop at slow speeds, a squeal or even creeking sounds comes from my front brake area, but it almost seems like it isn't the brakes making the sound. Could it be the tierods or bushings....
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
J!m

Vehicles
Exclamation

If the mileage is getting towards 60K, I would have a front end shop check the lower control arm bushings. This seems likely from your description...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
ClubSport

Does the noise happen when taking off in first gear? Does it sound like it's coming from under your seat? I have a noise like that and I think it's the gas tank. When I get under the car I can actually shift the tank forward to back very slightly and it makes a similar noise to what I hear in the car. Kind of a sqeak/groan sound. I've got to figure out a way to tighten it down.
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
jigg60

The squeaking could be any number of things. Have aftermarket swaybars and/or poly bushings been installed? If so, these can be suspect if not properly greased.
The squeaking noise that you refer to when turning the steering wheel may be the power steering pump - if it tends to squeal or squelch when you max out the wheel. Check the power steering fluid level and top up if needed (also check for steering fluid leaks).....
jigg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Rudenice

Location: Washington,DC - Top of the Hill - East of the Anacostia River

95 ti - the owners manual said to use ATF fluid for the power steering - but, it didn't specify which type of ATF - anyone have any insight?
Rudenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
canadian_ti

I had that same problem,. seemed as though there was something loos under my seat. It was rattling only when I was taking off in 1st gear,.. took it to my tech,. we found out that it was the heatshield over the cat,. we just took it off and it's fine now
Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
prd318ownr

Vehicles

i have the slight squeak when i turn my sterring wheel slowly... What gives??

And i have a strange squeak under my passenger seat.. kinda sucks..
prd318ownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

just spray everything with oil, you'll be fine

seriously though, have you identified where exactly the squeaks are coming from?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote