318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 988,723 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
mohaughn

Default subframe removal/overhaul

So I got an estimate to have all of the bushings replaced on my car and the labor to uninstall the rear subframe, change the bushings, and put everything back is pretty high. So right now I plan on completely removing the trailing arms and the rear subframe and just have a shop press out the old bushings.

So after looking through the bentley and haynes manuals I have a pretty good idea of what is involved.

The only things involved here that I've not done before is removing the drive shaft, half shafts and the differential.

So two questions, anybody have any tips on doing this job? I'm guessing it is a two person job when it comes to dropping the differential and actually dropping the subframe. Or can it be managed with one person a good jack and maybe some extra jack stands for extra support?

Also, what items are throw away items? I'm not sure what nuts involved are nylocks,which bolts should just be replaced, and where crush washers are used it they are. The haynes manual says some of the bolts related to the drive shaft and half shaft should be replace, but it doesn't say specifically which ones. I'd like to go to the dealer and get new nuts/washers, and bolts that I need before taking everything apart.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote