318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
biorjin

Default Error Code List - Stomp Test OBD1

To read codes for an OBD I car, you start by turning the ignition key on (do not start the engine) and pressing the gas pedal to the floor five times within a period of five seconds. If you proceeded correctly, then the check engine lamp will light on for five seconds, then blink off, then blink on for 2.5 seconds, and then go off for another 2.5 seconds. After this, the computer will start to show you the trouble fault codes that are stored.

The codes are given by short flashes of the check engine light, followed by short pauses. The codes are all four digit numbers. For example, the trouble fault code for monitoring the battery voltage level is 1231. This would show up flashing as "flash - pause - flash - flash - pause - flash - flash - flash - pause - flash." I suggest having a pen and paper handy when you do this, as the codes have a tendency to flash faster than you would think.

If there is more than one fault code stored, then each code will be separated by a 2.5 second pause. When there are no more codes to be read, the computer will give the code 1000, which is one short flash, and then the light will remain off. Then the check engine light will flash a half-second and then turn off. To read the codes again, simply turn the ignition key off and on again and repeat the procedure with the gas pedal (five times within five seconds).

Here is a table that represents all of the possibly fault codes that can be read using this method:

Code Error Notes / Corrective Action
1000 End of output - no more fault codes This code shows the end of the stream of error codes, and tell you that the computer is finished showing them to you.
1444 No more faults This code shows that all faults have been fixed. Required to erase the computer's memory.
1211 DME Motronic Computer Fault This may indicate a problem with the DME computer. Most problems result in a dead computer that cannot give out codes, so this particular code is not seen too commonly. If the code does appear, start and rerun the test for about one minute. If the code reappears, then chances are that you need to replace your DME computer.
1215 Mass Air Flow Sensor Fault The mass air flow sensor measures the amount of air that is currently being drawn into the engine. A big hole in one of your fuel injection intake boots may cause the car to stall and generate this code.
1216 Throttle Position Switch Fault The later model Motronic systems used a potentiometer to measure throttle position and adjust fuel levels appropriately. If the 'pot' is not giving off the proper values, it will produce this code.
1218 DME Computer Output, Group #1 These two codes can be generated when there is a ground fault short circuit from B+ at one of the two DME Output Amplifier Stages. This code is not typically seen by itself, and is usually generated with a host of other codes. Possible problems may be O2 sensor heater relay, fuel evap system problem, EKP relay, ignition coil problem, a faulty idle speed actuator, etc. If you get this code, disconnect the DME and let it sit for 15 minutes, then recheck the codes. If it persists, and no other problems are found, then it is probably an internal DME problem. If the code goes away, then ignore it and call it an intermittent error.
1219 DME Computer Output, Group #2
1221 Oxygen Sensor (primary) The O2 sensor measures the mixture of the car. This code is generated if the sensor is unplugged or broken. Sensor values are read when the engine warmer than 70°C, and should be within 0.02 and 0.85 volts. Negative values indicate that the sensor needs to be replaced, and slow fluctuation indicate that the sensor is clogged with soot. Cars with catalytic converters that have been removed may push this code.
1212 Oxygen Sensor (secondary)
1222 Oxygen Sensor Lean/Rich Detect (primary) If the signal from the O2 sensor indicates a very lean or very rich mixture for more than 10 seconds, then the computer generates this code. It could mean a faulty O2 sensor, or a problem with another component.
1213 Oxygen Sensor Lean/Rich Detect (secondary)
1223 Coolant Temperature Sensor Measures the temperature of the coolant inside the engine block. Used to determine if the engine is warm or cold. Check the wiring and the expected resistance value of the sensor.
1224 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Measures the temperature of air entering into the engine's fuel injection system, and adjusts the mixture accordingly. Colder air is more dense than warmer air and needs to be compensated for.
1225 Knock Sensor #1 The knock sensor is used to detect pre-ignition that can damage the engine. If the knock sensor is triggered, it will back off the timing of the car, reducing the 'pinging.' A fault is generated if there is an open circuit, a ground fault, or if the sensor sends multiple signals that don't correspond to proper engine operation.
1226 Knock Sensor #2
1227 Knock Sensor #3
1228 Knock Sensor #4
1231 Battery Voltage / DME Relay Monitor Monitors the condition of the battery and charging system, and produces a fault if a component goes out of specification or fail.
1232 Throttle Idle Position Switch On older Motronic systems, this switch was used along with the wide open position switch as a primitive throttle position switch.
1233 Throttle Wide Open Switch See above.
1234 Speedometer "A" Signal This code is generated when the engine is under load, over 2500 RPM and no discernable speedometer signal can be detected for more than 10 seconds. Check the wiring harness, and also the instrument console.
1237 A/C Compressor cutoff The compressor is automatically turned off when accelerating from low speed under full throttle. This code indicates a fault in the cut-out circuit or its wiring.
1241 Mass Airflow Sensor Codes 1241 and 2241 can be incorrectly generated on 1992 and later models. The actual fault is a improperly operating idle air valve, and the need for an updated EPROM. See BMW bulletins for more details.
1242 A/C Compressor Signal This code is generated if there is a ground fault (short circuit) or if the system detects that the compressor unit is disconnected.
1243 Crankshaft Position Sensor This code is triggered when the crank angle sensor is disconnected, or generates a signal that is not accurate when compared to the other engine sensors.
1244 Camshaft Position Sensor Displayed when the signal from the camshaft pulse generator is out of spec or absent. May indicate a problem with the injector side of the DME output stage.
1245 AEGS Intervention - Electronic Transmission Many BMWs are equipped with electronic transmissions. If the transmission encounters a major problem, it will generate an emergency message, and your on-board computer should show "TRANSMISSION EMERGENCY PROGRAM." Ignition timing will retard when this program is run.
1247 Ignition Secondary Monitor
1251 Fuel Injector #1 (single or group) Check the injector or injector group for proper wire harness connectivity. Also check the injectors for a clear, wide stream pattern. Code 1283 (Fuel Injector Output Stage) may also be triggered in conjunction with this code.
1252 Fuel Injector #2 (single or group)
1253 Fuel Injector #3
1254 Fuel Injector #4
1255 Fuel Injector #5
1256 Fuel Injector #6
1257 Fuel Injector #7
1258 Fuel Injector #8
1261 Fuel Pump Relay Control This code is generated when there is a break or ground fault in the circuitry associated with the DME fuel pump relay. Check pin #3 of the DME or the output stage in the DME (DME version M1.3 only).
1262 Idle Speed Control This shows up if the idle speed actuator shows a ground fault, or if the car stalls from an idle above 600 RPM.
1263 Fuel Tank Evaporative System (EVAP) The fuel tank evaporative system has a purge control valve that generates this code if there is a short circuit or open connection (DME version M1.3 only).
1264 Oxygen Sensor Heating Element This code is triggered if there is an open circuit or a short within the oxygen heating element circuit. Check the O2 heating element relay and also the air pump relay.
1265 Check Engine Lamp If the lamp in the dashboard burns out or shorts to ground, then this code is generated.
1266 VANOS System Check the wiring or the relay associated with the VANOS system (variable camshaft adjustment).
1267 Air Pump Relay Control Check the air pump relay and wiring (were applicable).
1271 Ignition Coil #1 An open-circuit or ground fault in the ignition wiring has occurred with an ignition coil. Place a timing light on the ignition wires and check for a signal. Also check the wires for faults, and check the spark plugs too.
1271 Ignition Coil #2
1271 Ignition Coil #3
1271 Ignition Coil #4
1271 Ignition Coil #5
1271 Ignition Coil #6
1271 Ignition Coil #7
1271 Ignition Coil #8
1281 DME Memory Unit Supply This indicates a fault with the internal memory of the DME computer. This is sometimes caused by low battery voltage. Delete the codes, and disconnect the DME for 15 minutes. Then reconnect, let the car idle for five minutes, and then drive over 30 mph for more than five minutes. Recheck the codes - if it occurs again, the DME is faulty and should be replaced.
1282 Fault Code Memory This code occurs when the DME generates a set of conflicting codes. Disconnect the DME for 15 minutes, reconnect, and then simulate a fault code, like unplugging the air flow sensor or idle actuator. If the code reoccurs, then you will need to replace the DME.
1283 Fuel Injector Output Stage This code is generated when there is a short circuit or open connection between the wiring from the DME to an injector or injector stage.
1284 Knock Control Test Pulse The ECU periodically checks the knock sensor circuitry by sending a test pulse through the system. This code indicates that a test was performed, but no pulse was registered. Check the wiring and knock sensors.
biorjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
b0m

wow! great infomation on this thread!
b0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
gooten1

Is this only for OBD-I?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
318ti Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by biorjin
To read codes for an OBD I car, you start by turning the ignition key on (do not start the engine) and pressing the gas pedal to the floor five times within a period of five seconds.
How do you do it on OBD-II cars?
318ti Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooten1
Is this only for OBD-I?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318ti Coupe
How do you do it on OBD-II cars?
With a scan tool.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
davep-uk

how do i know if i'm OBD 1 or OBD 2?

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
how do i know if i'm OBD 1 or OBD 2?
I am guessing that all cars 96+ are OBD-II.
There are some differences between countries.
For instance, in the US there is a diagnostic port under the knee bolster.
UK cars do not have this.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
gneus

Unhappy OBD 1 code 1222 problem

I had some troubles with my car lately. When I start it I have to keep manually the revs up otherwise the engine goes into very low rpms and tend to shut off. Also there was the problem with irregular idling, but only when cold and put on Drive. During P, N or Reverse there is no idling issues at all.

I was told to check Air Mass/Volume Sensor, which I did today and the things got even worse. I removed the Air Mass/Volume Sensor, checked it, cleaned it with a rag carefully even it wasn't bad at all and put it back.

I went to try the car. It ran very good for a minute or 2 and after that it died on me while driving. This have never happened before. I waited few minutes and started it. This time I had shaking, smoking(from the exhaust) and very bad idling even on N and P. The engine was in good working temperature.
OBD indicates code 1222, some say is Lambda Control, which has something to do with the O2 sensors.
I don't know what to do any more. If it is o2 sensor how come I didn't get code 1221. What else can be the cause. I am confused and I'm getting desperate.
I need some help narrowing down the possible causes.

1995 318ti m42
Thankx
gneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
biorjin

1221 means the o2 sensor itsef is malfunctional, 1222 means the o2 sensor reading is out of range, in other word, you car is running either too rich (o2 reading is higher than 1) or too lean (lower than 0.1)
Old 04-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
biorjin

based on my experience, first check the smell of exhaust if it smells like rotten egg, then it is too lean, then check fuel system: fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector, fuel pump... if you can see black smoke from the pipe, then it is more likely being rich, then check o2 sensor, thermostat, TPS, CPS, air filter...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
AzzKickr

Default Can't display error codes

Hello,

on my 1993 M42 I can't get the error codes to display. Why not ? I've tried several times the "5-times wot" thingy, but nothing happens .....
AzzKickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
mohaughn

You are probably not pumping the pedal fast enough. All BMW obd-I cars should be able to do this.

Here is the site where this info was copied from.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
AzzKickr

Yeah, sorry but I'm not able to pump faster .... I probably hit the floor 5 times in like 2 secs or so ....

Also tried a bit slower but nothing happens either way.......
AzzKickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
mohaughn

How far out are you letting the pedal? If you put it to the floor 5 times in two seconds I have to wonder if you are letting it out all of the way.

What I do is turn the ignition to on, do not start the car. Immediately completely depress the pedal, slide my foot off of the gas pedal which lets it release back to 0% throttle, and repeat 4 times. I think if you just put it to the floor and then let off just a little bit it will not work.

I also think the 5 seconds starts from the time you turn the ignition on. So you can't turn the key, wait and then start doing the pedal. You have to do it all in one motion. As soon as you turn the key, you need to depress the pedal the first time. It is kind of a pain to get it to work, it probably took me several tries before I was able to get it to work. Also, if it doesn't work. turn the ignition off, take the key out, and wait a few seconds before trying again. If you keep at it and can't get it to work I guess it is possible that the throttle position sensor is not reading WOT properly.

I actually think the entire system is a pain because it usually takes a few tries to count the code properly.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
Ted A. Williams

I have a related program with a 1994 525iT with OBD-I. My readout keeps flashing the 1221 code repeatedly (i.e., it never stops or goes to 1000 as the Bentley manual says it should), so I can't get to the stage of erasing the code. I haven't done the repair the code suggests, but might I have a computer problem that leads to the repeating of the code?
Ted A. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote