318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 382,021 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
97Hellrot318ti

Default Stromung vs. Supersprint

As the summer draws near, a summer which I intend to make very productive for me and my 318ti, I find myself still questioning my decision on which exhaust to use. I started out thinking about BavAuto, but was then persuaded to stromung, and then finally SuperSprint, which I have been strongly considering for a while. But this recent discussion about Stainless vs. Aluminized has given me cause for further concern.

By most accounts I've heard, Supersprint seems to yield the best performance benefits (my primary concern), and Stromung the best (or at least loudest ) sound.

I don't know jack about aluminized exhausts, other than people say they're supposed to corrod over time. Yet I haven't heard of people complaining about their supersprints. Anyone else have thoughts on this stuff?
ACS-"Style" (E-Bay, haha) Racing Pedals
M Frontspoiler (OEM)
Alpine CDA 9827 MP3/CD Head Unit
Alpine E12 Subwoofer (now stolen)
Audiobahn A4002T Amp (also now stolen)
Dented driver side fender (provided courtesy of blind 80 year old woman)
Keyed passenger door (provided by someone who likes to key red cars)

Soon to come (now that I've graduated and have a real job)
S52 Engine Swap!!!
Fixing aformentioned damage caused by the elderly and the brain deprived
Supersprint Exhaust and Headers
Angel Eye/Projector Headlights
97Hellrot318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
city

This may be bias, but I LOVE my Supersprint. Its got a nice tone that isnt so overwhelming like the Stromung. (which would personally give me a headache after a while) I feel the Supersprint is a lot better perfomance wise and sound wise.
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
L84THSKY

First off, I doubt anyone has had both types on their car, so you will always have two camps.

As for performance gains, count on neither to provide such extravagancies.

The three conclusions you can draw from either muffler are:
1. Which fits better
2. Which sounds better
3. Which uses better materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Hellrot318ti
As the summer draws near, a summer which I intend to make very productive for me and my 318ti, I find myself still questioning my decision on which exhaust to use. I started out thinking about BavAuto, but was then persuaded to stromung, and then finally SuperSprint, which I have been strongly considering for a while. But this recent discussion about Stainless vs. Aluminized has given me cause for further concern.

By most accounts I've heard, Supersprint seems to yield the best performance benefits (my primary concern), and Stromung the best (or at least loudest ) sound.

I don't know jack about aluminized exhausts, other than people say they're supposed to corrod over time. Yet I haven't heard of people complaining about their supersprints. Anyone else have thoughts on this stuff?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
mickd

When I first installed the Supersprint cat-back (single tip) in '98 I definitely felt an increase in power starting at 3500 RPM. The reason I chose it was because it was the preferred exhaust from members of the old 318ti mailing list. Here is a link from a post on that board: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/per...aust_test.html
Most members on the board also thought it sounded the best, has a low pitch throaty sound, and wasn't offensive as far as sound level. You can all say what you want, but I love the Supersprint. I know the gains are not great, but the engine just seems to rev easier. And the link above proves there is some gain with the Supersprint.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
97Hellrot318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
As for performance gains, count on neither to provide such extravagancies.
Everyone who has SuperSprint has told me they felt a noticable performance increase. No one has said that about Stromung.
M Frontspoiler (OEM)

S52 Engine Swap!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 AM   #6
mickd

I was curious about the sound of the Stromung exhaust so I watched the videos on the Understeer.com website. I don't think I could live with the loudness of that one day to day. That in car vid was just way too loud, even at idle. The driving videos sound too much like the ricers, don't want my German car to sound like that. Some have said the Supersprint exhaust is quiet, and have compared it to stock. Those who said this must not have had one on their car. It is considerably louder than stock, and gets noticeably louder when you get on it. I really think it fits the character of the 318ti, and BMW's in general, understated when you want it to be, and louder when you are doing some serious driving. From those Stromung vids, I don't think the Stromung fits very well in the opening in the diffuser on M-Tech bumpers, the tip sticks out to far and the round tip doesn't look as good as the rectangular tip on the Supersprint, which fits the opening perfectly, the tip end flush with the diffuser, centered perfectly, like it was designed for the car. It appears the Stromung hangs too low, the tip is too low in the opening, and the rear muffler is really visible from the back of the car, not so with the Supersprint. After watching that video, I'm glad I have the Supersprint, Just my opinion, so don't flame me. If your'e happy with your Stromung, that's all that matters.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
dodj

damnit i want a supersprint...

*looks at bank balance.......*
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
city

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd
I was curious about the sound of the Stromung exhaust so I watched the videos on the Understeer.com website. I don't think I could live with the loudness of that one day to day. That in car vid was just way too loud, even at idle. The driving videos sound too much like the ricers, don't want my German car to sound like that. Some have said the Supersprint exhaust is quiet, and have compared it to stock. Those who said this must not have had one on their car. It is considerably louder than stock, and gets noticeably louder when you get on it. I really think it fits the character of the 318ti, and BMW's in general, understated when you want it to be, and louder when you are doing some serious driving. From those Stromung vids, I don't think the Stromung fits very well in the opening in the diffuser on M-Tech bumpers, the tip sticks out to far and the round tip doesn't look as good as the rectangular tip on the Supersprint, which fits the opening perfectly, the tip end flush with the diffuser, centered perfectly, like it was designed for the car. It appears the Stromung hangs too low, the tip is too low in the opening, and the rear muffler is really visible from the back of the car, not so with the Supersprint. After watching that video, I'm glad I have the Supersprint, Just my opinion, so don't flame me. If your'e happy with your Stromung, that's all that matters.

I forgot about the video's. Good reference, mainly this is all preference but let us know what you decide on hellrot!!
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
97Hellrot318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by city
I forgot about the video's. Good reference, mainly this is all preference but let us know what you decide on hellrot!!
I'm leaning supersprint still, over the summer I'll have a digital so I can finally get some pics up

Thanks for everyone's input so far!
M Frontspoiler (OEM)

S52 Engine Swap!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Mendi3

Thumbs up My 2 cents

Supersprint all the way! I love it.

I had Stromung and took it out after 2 months of constant headaches (loud). I liked it for the first week but that was it. After this, I bought the Supersprint Catback single tip and absolutely enjot it. Ten months after and I still enjoy it every time I drive my ti.
1995 318ti E36 Alpine White III DASC (RIP)
1996 328i 4Dr Artic Silver (RIP)
1999 M3 Estoril Blue Metallic RMS Vortech SC
2001 325i E46 Alpine White - Sports Package (SOLD)
2005 E46 M3 Coupe SMG
Mendi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
96cali

I have ridden in Lisa's Ti (Mrs. Understeer) twice. Once when the exhaust was pretty new in 2003 (?) and Chris really stomped on the gas. It was LOUD. I again rode this past January with Lisa driving more civil like and it was just a low burble mostly. Easily carried on a conversation inside the cabin. So take it for what it's worth.....

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
I have ridden in Lisa's Ti (Mrs. Understeer) twice. Once when the exhaust was pretty new in 2003 (?) and Chris really stomped on the gas. It was LOUD. I again rode this past January with Lisa driving more civil like and it was just a low burble mostly. Easily carried on a conversation inside the cabin. So take it for what it's worth.....

Does it sound comparable to the sound in the videos? The videos don't really do the sound any favors IMO, but I'd like to hear a comparison between the sound in person and on the videos.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote