318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 966,287 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,972 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
turbo87

Default engine?

hi guys,

well i have just been looking on the web and have seen some e36 1.9 engines, the IS/TI. i was just thinking is it worth me replacing my 1.6 with a 1.9 and just tune that up? and is it easy to install the 1.9?

so far i have added a magnex cat back this will also fit with the 1.9 the intake wont but im planing on changing that later. i would prefer to keep my shell. Its just an at the moment i might end up doing it by august if its worth it.

thanks
turbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
HuGo

If your gonna do a swap anyways, just go with an M52 swap, those engines aren't that expensive. Does your car literally say 316 ti on the back? I wanna see a pic of this.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
turbo87

no mine says 316i on the back, doesnt the m52 have double vanos? i would liek the idea of having the m52 but i have read about the vanos system failing or something. i think that the m44 would be easy to install and also for insurance purposes as here you get the 316ti which has the 1.9 not the 1.6 like mine. im just trying to see other views on this and also would i have to change anything else apart from the ecu and wiring loom?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
pnosker

Maybe he wants to keep his ASC+T and continue with great fuel economy... not everyone wants to swap to a 6 cyl... insurance in Europe is WAY more expensive, especially for larger motors, and there's a government tax in the UK for motors larger than 2 liters I think.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
oakley

Dude just buy a new car... its not worth the money..the re-sale value or the insurance and mot problems u'll encounter..in other countries it maybe cost effective..in the UK it aint..buy a Ti there cheap enough...(imo!!)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
Zacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Dude just buy a new car... its not worth the money..the re-sale value or the insurance and mot problems u'll encounter..in other countries it maybe cost effective..in the UK it aint..buy a Ti there cheap enough...(imo!!)
hmm, don't listen to women like this. JK.

as far as info, CAN SOMEBODY GIVE THIS GUY THE INFO HE WANTS rather then critique he already knows.
I have money for mods if i want them, gas cause ill want to drive them, and honey's who will want to get in them
Zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
campaiar

The wiring harnesses may be the same, but the ECU would definitely need to be swapped for a 1.8/1.9 version. The swap should be pretty straight forward, I'm just not sure it would be worth the effort to go from a 1.6 to a 1.8/1.9. The horsepower gain probably isn't too impressive between the two.

Any larger than the M44 and your looking at a 4cyl to 6cyl swap which would be far more complicated.

Its a ton of fun to drive though.

(HUGO, mine says 325ti on the hatch......)
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
oakley

Not gonna get anymore valuable info then that given...Im not being awkward so wind ya neck in an dont get bitchy..it was said in a nice way with no aggro..When the chap looks into it he'll find out what I said is true..If its cheaper to do it in the states fair enough, in the Uk it aint..out regulations are different (again as stated). If he goes ahead fair play...it'll come back to bite him though as resale value will be next to nothing.....No point fillin his head with dreams without tellin him the facts as well........
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
turbo87

ok this is the plan lol, not to go with it as im going to buy a mr2 twin turbo on the side i was just curious about the whole swaping the engine not meaning i was going to go through with it unless i see that its worth it. but thanks for the feed back
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
cosmos schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
+1 on that!

if the engine doesnt say "m" on it, it aint worth the cost. as a 95 1.8 motor will roughly be the same amount to swap in as 95 m3 3.0 motor.
but, the insurance, omg! on the other hand will be dearer for an m3 swap.

E36 3.0 M3 Cosmos Schwarz
E36 1.8 318ti Cosmos Schwarz
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
Rich

I went with a 2.8.

As for the insurance it really depends on your age, NCB, points etc. For me the cost is near enough the same as an equivalent power standard car.

The cost of the swap will depend on how far you go with it. From a 316i as a base its worth upgrading to disks at the back and the front changing to vented with 325/328 callipers.

The difference in base cost of an M or 2.8 isn't that big however, insurance, service parts, fuel economy are quite high on an M.

I thought about swapping to a 1.8 or 1.9, would have been an easier install as it would just bolt up to the current gearbox, exhaust would be a simple fit. However I could just as easily bought a good 318ti or 316i (1.9) for a similar price.

As another option it is possible to turbo or supercharge an M43B16 with some impressive results.