318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,658 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,679 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,924 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Thinking of getting...

Whats up everyone.
Well i've decided to buy the Alpine CDA-9853 HU for my ti,mainly because it has the ipod hookup. I've done some research on this model and most places sell it for $299 and i'm buying mine through crutchfield.com for 30 bucks less. Plus it comes with all the neccesary hookups for it so you can do it yourself. I might take it to Tweeter and have them install it,i really don't want the hassle of doing it myself & i'm not sure if i have the tool to remove the stereo or if ones needed at all to remove it. The only thing i'm not sure of is if i need an adpater for the ipod. Two people told me i didn't and 1 person said i did so i just got to give them a call b4 i purchase it.

Does anyone else have this model and what do you think?
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
halobeamin

i have a full video unit/tv/dvd

had to have that one installed.. they were boring out spots in my dash.. i.e. i no longer have a clock lol

most units like that have an auxiliary connect that for example, an ipod could easily connect to, if not with an extra female adapter or whatever

but if it's a standard head unit, you should be able to do it yourself, and even if you have no tools.. i'm sure you have butterknives
halobeamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
madfronter

I have the Alpine CDA-9851. It is a similar headunit to the one you are interested in purchasing. You will need the Alpine KCA 420i Ipod control interface adaptor to use your ipod with this headunit. The Alpine KCA 420i Ipod control interface adaptor hooks up to the headunit like a cd changer and you then control the ipod through you headunit via the face place. You will not be able to control the ipod itself while it is hooked up to the adaptor. The adaptor will also charge your ipod.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
madfronter

and the Alpine KCA 420i Ipod control interface adaptor is $99.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
aceyx

A friend of mine has that HU in his Passat. He said he would have gone another way if he were to do it again.

I borrowed his car when I was in LA, and while I didn't hate it, I wasn't a huge fan either.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Calgary98TI

Default New Alpine Line-up

The new (just released) Alpine line up has a feature called iPod FullSpeed. It is a $30 connector KCE-422i Full Speed Connection Cable for iPod(accessory) that plugs directly into your ipod and gives you full control of the ipod from the deck.

The CD-9856 or CD-9852 are the 2 models in your price range that have that feature. I think the CD9853 is the older model. Make sure you don't have to buy the previous (expensive) connector cable.

I want to put this set up into my ti.
Calgary98TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary98TI
The new (just released) Alpine line up has a feature called iPod FullSpeed. It is a $30 connector KCE-422i Full Speed Connection Cable for iPod(accessory) that plugs directly into your ipod and gives you full control of the ipod from the deck.

The CD-9856 or CD-9852 are the 2 models in your price range that have that feature. I think the CD9853 is the older model. Make sure you don't have to buy the previous (expensive) connector cable.

I want to put this set up into my ti.

Well this is one of the questions i need to ask cause right when i saw the price i was thinking it was last years model. I'm just going to keep on researching them untill i find what i need. There used to be a car stereo place near my hometown but they closed down a few years ago. They installed my amp/sub for me in my ti and in my saab. I trusted them.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
halek

I have a Alpine CDA9853 & it sounds great but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Setting up the EQ properly is virtually impossible & the 'glidebar' feature is crap, menus are poorly set out - not at all user friendly.

It does sound & look good but there are better headunits to be had for the same cash.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Hey Calgary98TI,
I was checking out there new products and from what i read you still need that KCA 420i connector that costs $99. I didn't see anything about a $30 hookup,i'll look into some more tonight.

EDIT: Nevermind i just saw what you were talking about.

This is the link...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WE65nvn...500CDA9856#Tab

Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

With an after market HU can you still use the factory amp for the speakers? Or do you have to buy another amp to power the 10 speakers?

Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
KetteringTi

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but most nice head units with a MOFSET are putting out more power per channel than the factory amp. So wouldn't the amp be cutting down the wattage? I installed components in the front of mine and we totally skipped the amp and wired them straight to the Pioneer head unit. They were louder than the stock stereo ever was.

Also, I wouldn't waste your money just to have a head unit installed. If you can't use butterknives to get the old one out, go to your local car stereo place. Tell them that you either want to buy the removal tools, or in most cases they will just unlatch it for you and slide it out like a half-inch so you can drive it home and just pop it out when you're ready. $60 for a head unit install is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

My $.02
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #12
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

The HU i'm looking at is 50watts x 4 and i have 10 speakers so i'm wondering what happens to the other 6 speakers.

Also i'm having it installed cause i'm getting a custom mount for my ipod. That is the only reason why i'm buying a new HU and it's $30 to install it which is nothing.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
madfronter

You can use the factory amp with the aftermarket headunit to power the factory speakers. You just need to hook up the remote wire for the factory amp.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #14
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfronter
You can use the factory amp with the aftermarket headunit to power the factory speakers. You just need to hook up the remote wire for the factory amp.

Cool Beans,thanx

Old 04-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
halobeamin

well you can always use the factory amp, i'm not sure what the RMS output might be.. i went and upgraded to a 500 Watt RMS when i got my video/sub/rear 6x9's installed, and everything sounds great...

i would say, if the HU provides the same output (i.e. 50w x 4), then you may not have to get a new amp, provided you use the same speakers, because the head unit acts as an amplifier in a way, but if you ever plan on upgrading them, a new amplifier is required ..

good?