318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,012,863 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
madfronter

Default The Error code 28 Plague

Is anyone else plagued with the catalyist efficiency code? I have been trying to put an end to this issue for months. I've replaced my cat, both O2 sensors, charcoal canister, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, exhaust, coil pack and nothing has helped in resolving the issue. The car runs fine but the code comes on every couple of days and it is really frustrating me. I have the bavauto fault code reader so I can turn the light off but I want to resolve this problem. Anyone else having this problem?
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

YOu might try replacing your thermostat. if the car runs too hot, you will get that code.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

I don't know how Error 28 compares to the one I had (P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1), but it sounds similar. Read more here.

Short answer: I agree with Dusten, check your thermostat. One sign of a bad thermostat is that your temperature needle doesn't go to the center of the range and stay there. It may fluctuate between cool and hot, or it might stay steady, but not stay at the center of the range.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
madfronter

Thats something I wouldn't have thought of. My car has been running a little cooler than normal lately. My temp normally would sit in the middle but it has been fluctuating and reading cooler than normal. Thanks for the input, I'll try replacing the thermostat.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
fourbysix

should my temperature gauge needle be resting in the middle of the gauge pointing straight up once my car is "up to temp"
fourbysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
roadrash

Vehicles

According to my mechanic, the temp needle should move to the vertical position as the engine warms up, and then not move. Keep in mind that because you're looking at the gauge from left of center, the needle will appear to be just a bit right of center.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
madfronter

I replaced a few more things and they didn't do jack **** to help with the code plague.I replaced the spark plugs a couple weeks ago and the thermostat about 1-1/2 months ago and and code 28 from chart 7 "catalytic efficiency" code is still making my CEL light up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am getting really annoyed with this situation and would like to resolve sooner than later.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
roadrash

Vehicles

Are you sure that the new thermostat is working properly? The first replacement on mine went bad in a few weeks and the temp wouldn't ever get up to the center of the gauge. So, that kept causing the same error. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and let us know what it's doing.

After the second thermostat replacement the temperature would stay steady in the center of the gauge. But, I still occasionally got the P0420 error code. Once I started shopping for a new catalytic converter, the CEL went away. Apparently, after a set number of drive cycles, the OBD system decided that things were OK. And naturally, since I mentioned this, the CEL will come back in a day or so. LOL

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not a mechanic and we've pretty much reached the limit of my personal experience with this specific situation.

JMJ

Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
madfronter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Are you sure that the new thermostat is working properly? The first replacement on mine went bad in a few weeks and the temp wouldn't ever get up to the center of the gauge. So, that kept causing the same error. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and let us know what it's doing.

After the second thermostat replacement the temperature would stay steady in the center of the gauge. But, I still occasionally got the P0420 error code. Once I started shopping for a new catalytic converter, the CEL went away. Apparently, after a set number of drive cycles, the OBD system decided that things were OK. And naturally, since I mentioned this, the CEL will come back in a day or so. LOL

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not a mechanic and we've pretty much reached the limit of my personal experience with this specific situation.

JMJ
Thanks for the response. I've been watching my temp like a hawk and it is in the center rite where it should while running.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
madfronter

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
mohaughn

Have you thought about tapping into the wires at all of the sensors, measuring the reading while the car is running, then tapping into the wires at the ECU and seeing if there is a difference? This is really the reason that you should have a good mechanic with good tools doing the diag for you. It is very possible that you have a wiring issues that is causing the wrong data to get sent to the ECU.

Find someone who has a diagnostic computer(not a code reader) that can actually pull up the data that the sensors are sending out. It should be very easy to determine the problem by looking at the sensor outputs. And it probably would have been cheaper in the beginning than throwing all of those parts at the car.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #12
madfronter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Have you thought about tapping into the wires at all of the sensors, measuring the reading while the car is running, then tapping into the wires at the ECU and seeing if there is a difference? This is really the reason that you should have a good mechanic with good tools doing the diag for you. It is very possible that you have a wiring issues that is causing the wrong data to get sent to the ECU.

Find someone who has a diagnostic computer(not a code reader) that can actually pull up the data that the sensors are sending out. It should be very easy to determine the problem by looking at the sensor outputs. And it probably would have been cheaper in the beginning than throwing all of those parts at the car.
You are right and have a great suggestion. I should have done this in the first place. I do like knowing that all the parts I replaced would have had to be replaced at some point anyway, so it doesn't bother me that I spent money to replace those parts and infact some of those things like the coils, spark plugs and wires resolved my missfire problem. So all in all I am happy that I have replaced all the things I did and I just want to figure out this code issue.

Thanks for the advise...
Old 09-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
mohaughn

Yeah.. Most of that stuff is normal wear and tear anyway, so if it was at the end of their lifespan it is money well spent. About a week or two I posted a link that had information about how to probe the O2 sensors and understand what the readings mean via a multimeter. I'd post the link, but I can't find it and I'm at work so i didn't want to spend a bunch of time searching for it..

I think I googled for something like BMW Bosch O2 sensor volt reading. It is a good DIY article on troubleshooting emission related codes.

At this point I would think it is wiring since you have replaced just about everything else and the car is running properly, just throwing the code. Unfortunately I've never dug that deep into the car myself as most issues have been easily repaired with parts and I've not had any major wiring issues so I can't say for sure.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
madfronter

Well I appreciate your helpful comments. I'll do a google search for that O2 sensor DIY. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Mad-Machine

see, I am pretty sure that my code really is for the cat. While she runs great when I give her throttle, my Ti has a very rough idle and you can smell the exhaust/fuel when you walk behind the car when she is idling.

I changed the wires and plugs.. old plugs were perfect.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote