318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 335,198 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
pcalahane

Vehicles
Default Sparco Harness Bar

Has anyone installed one in their ti? If so, any pictures/advise on how to install?

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
-1996 318TI CALIFORNIA EDITION (SCHWARZ ZWEI): BACK IN BLACK!
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
pcalahane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
RedDog

Not quite what you are looking for and its more expensive but Mason Engineering offers a bar designed for our car. He just developed it with some help of fellow forums members.

http://www.masonengineering.net/Subpages/E36.htm

http://www.masonengineering.net/imag...-hatchback.jpg
RedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
pcalahane

Vehicles

No i am referring to the Sparco Harness Bar (30007). Its for attaching 4pt/5pt racing harnesses for your racing seats.

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcalahane View Post
No i am referring to the Sparco Harness Bar (30007). Its for attaching 4pt/5pt racing harnesses for your racing seats.
How does it mount? Not to the seatbelt bolts along the B pillars, do they?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
pcalahane

Vehicles

yes, and then a bar on both sides pushes against the bottom of the b pillar

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I don't know.
I have a harness bar that I use for a camera mount.
It is secured to the bolts that hold my seatbelt on the B pillar.
It is impossible to get it tight enough where it doesn't move.
Plus unless your seat is pretty far up, the bar hits the seat.
I have to have my seat reclined a little more than I would like for helmet clearance.
I had to add T-brackets to offset the bar down and further to the rear.

Maybe with racing seats the clearance will be different?
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
pcalahane

Vehicles

Do you have pictures of your? it sounds like what im talking about

Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcalahane View Post
Do you have pictures of your? it sounds like what im talking about
I'll see what I can do.
I really don't think harness bars are safe.
For a harness to work properly they need to be at the proper angle.
A harness bar is good for supporting the harness so you can grab it but I would not secure a harness to it.

Are you tracking the car?
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
pcalahane

Vehicles

No I'm not. I am making my dd into a fusion basically. I'm using f1spec seats, sparco harness and bar (hopefully), carbon sunroof delete, and gutting the interior b pillar and back. So hopefully it will look and feel like a track car but still be able for dd use

Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
blndweasel

What is the purpose of achieving the look and feel of a track car other than to use it on the track?

If you use racing harnesses, you need to mount them at the correct angles, as previously mentioned. If you don't, you're leaving yourself succeptible to injury in the event of an accident. Any racing organization that requires harnesses is probably going to require a full cage, or at least a roll bar, at which point a harness bar is not necessary.

$0.02

tbw

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
pcalahane

Vehicles

A cage will be sometime in the future but for now I have the bar and was wanting feed back. All I want ATM is to have something to attach my harness to.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
Jean H.318TI

well a harness bar is half the price of the roll bar so just go for the roll bar and would be safer
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
well a harness bar is half the price of the roll bar so just go for the roll bar and would be safer
That's debatable. I hope no one would be allowed to sit in the back and the roll bar has plenty of padding.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
Jean H.318TI

Yeah well he said he was gonna take the whole rear interior out and with either the harness bar or roll bar would be kinda hard to get on the rear of the car but yeah u never know some people is crazy, and yeah paddin is a must to have and hopefuly is the good kind like FIA approved not the cheap eBay ones that won't do anything if ur head hits that thing
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
pcalahane

Vehicles

Thanks Jean for reading completely. It doesn't matter either way cuz their will be nothing in the rear.