318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 986,206 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
weezer

Default BMP's multi throttle intake

Does anyone know if this is a good performance upgrade:http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...earch_model/52

Since our engine (M42/44) is similar to the S14 (E30 M3), with other differences of course. How much of a power gain will this get?
I know this system is not street legal in CA, but other states?

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
andyman7931

that's for an m50/52 and not s14...
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931
that's for an m50/52 and not s14...
That is specifically for an M44/42. The description, however, is talking about the m50/52. I have heard mixed reviews about the ITBs. I think it would be cool. I think they are most useful with big cams and some custom tune. Throttle response it also near instant since air doesn't have as far to travel.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
weezer

That particular page it is. If you go on their website and look for performance intakes, they also offer a similar item for 4 cylinders for M42/44 engines.
Thanks

16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Old 01-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
AlaskaBlue

It is the same thing minus two for an M42/44
Old 01-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
weezer

Alaska Blue, have you ever tried it?
The S14 has a similar system/set-up. Wouldn't you think with this set-up our M42/44 enggine will perform similarly? I wonder if the HP gain is anywhere around 20-25%? If so, it might be worth a try.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
AlaskaBlue

I haven't tried it. I have been very tempted because a motorsports fabricator aways from where I live makes a copy of the BMP design ITBs just over 1000 dollars. Talking to them though they said it would be better just to put an M3 engine in if I was really serious about wanting power. For now though, I am stepping back and considering all my options.

There have been discussions about how much power ITBs would add, but I have never seen concrete proof of anything. Some say that they do nothing, but don't back up their claim. Others say it added twenty hp, but don't back up their claim. I think the way good gains are possible is through some tuning to take advantage of the increased airflow.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
I wonder if the HP gain is anywhere around 20-25%? If so, it might be worth a try.

Hp gain from this wouldn't be that much on the m44 engine. I'd have to say maybee 5-7 hp.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #9
Dredder

Thats alot of money for a little gain. Might as well throw in another 1k and you got yourself a DASC.

S50 Swap, Euro 3.5" HFM (MAF), my custom Chip, Cosmo CAI, Custom Exhaust, 6 Cyl. Gauge cluster, 80C thermostat, E46 330 Front Brakes, Powder coated Calipers, Clear Corners, Black Grill, UUC SSK, M3 Front Strut, M3 Front Springs, Powder Coated Valve Cover, ZR3 Laser. and some
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
aceyx

Whatever gain you'll get, it'll be at the top end. You'll lose a bit in the lower range, which is already lacking in the M44.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
weezer

I'm a firm believer in making HP out of upgrading your intake, exhaust, cams, porting heads, larger displacement etc. Seems like the DASC route is just a short cut way without considering what the added compressed air would to engine life. I guess I'm very old school when it comes to HP gains on cars. If HP gains are around 20-25%, then it is quite a bit considering DASC adds 40%.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
AlaskaBlue

You may be interested in reading this thread http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...&highlight=M42 It seems to be right down your alley and can be done with your engine.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
I'm a firm believer in making HP out of upgrading your intake, exhaust, cams, porting heads, larger displacement etc. Seems like the DASC route is just a short cut way without considering what the added compressed air would to engine life. I guess I'm very old school when it comes to HP gains on cars. If HP gains are around 20-25%, then it is quite a bit considering DASC adds 40%.
Who cars what it does to the motor? It costs $1000 to replace it if it blows. I've NEVER heard of anyone blowing up their motor from a DASC.

It all comes down to money and time spent. If you want to waste your life installing cams and porting heads, go for it. I bet you'll really enjoy the extra 3 hp you get out of it. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat supercharging the m44.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Dollar for dollar, you can't beat supercharging the m44.
Yeah you can. Supercharge the M42

Just kidding with you.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #15
saintly

I have read in the way past about someone doing the ITB conversion and it wasn't as much of an improvement as they would have hoped. from memory they went back to a single and added a DASC.

By the way tyler, nice avatar
H&R coil overs & sway bars, Big brakes
saintly is offline   Reply With Quote