318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 130 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,010 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,471 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
HuGo

Default Drifting/SC

Im going to try and pick up that supercharger! book and gain as much knowledge as i can. Im also going to learn how to drift. Im going to buy the Drifting Bible and learn to to drift. I plan on buying a little RWD drive car for like 400-500 bucks and learn on that. Maybe mess it up but atleast i wont mess up my TI. I was thinking i would go to drifting and racing school but it would cost much more money.(unless i can find a cheap price then ill go to school) Im also going to try to find people who know how to drift and get them to teach me.

Any other pointers would be great. (if your going to reply dont do it then i dont want to hear it)

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
pnosker

You'd better have money for tires!
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
HuGo

I was watching the drift bible clips on youtube and i dont get what the heel-toe does im assuming to keep the revs up, why? i dont know. And then why do you have to hold in the clutch while using the E-brake? Im gonna try the 1/8 step, seems the easiest one for now. Im pretty sure i know what to do, just need a big as$ parking lot with nothing around. Ill try this on the TI.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-PGsUUzmQ0

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
tastade

Just go to an area with snow in the winter and you can drift without burning up your tires (it is seriously good practice for drifting with much lower speeds).
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade View Post
Just go to an area with snow in the winter and you can drift without burning up your tires (it is seriously good practice for drifting with much lower speeds).
Youll slide even more. Is snow equivalent to wet ground? You know the first days that rains? Im just scared of flipping over. Id rather be tought than teach myself.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #6
bmw318tiChic

What is the "drift bible" that you are talking about? Those videos on YouTube? I'm actually hoping to learn to drift also and my friend said he'd help me out. So we'll see how that goes...
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic View Post
What is the "drift bible" that you are talking about? Those videos on YouTube? I'm actually hoping to learn to drift also and my friend said he'd help me out. So we'll see how that goes...
Drift bible is a video that keiichi tsuchiya made showing to drift.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 10-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
mischief

you should have a friend record you that way you can learn from your mistakes.
pls buy a LSD.i green ti is a open diff and sometimes i just spin one tire and car wont get sideways
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
tastade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
Youll slide even more. Is snow equivalent to wet ground? You know the first days that rains? Im just scared of flipping over. Id rather be tought than teach myself.
It is similar to wet, but much slicker. You can drift at much lower speeds, like 10 mph+. By starting drifting on a slick surface at lower speeds you can get used to how the throttle controls your steering without as much risk to your car. I always practice snow driving in large empty parking lots without many light poles or any curbs/parking blocks. I don't suppose you have much snow in southern California unless you head up to the mountains.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
You'd better have money for tires!
+1

You'll also need to get a LSD diff. I doubt the 3.45 CS LSD will hold up long if you are going to drift, so you'll need to do the large case upgrade. You'll need to lower the car as low as possible and install some BEEFY sway bars too. I hope you have a lot of money saved up for this...

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
buddhajono

I hate to have to state the obvious but just incase you didn't figure it out yet, it's very important to clutch when you pull the e-brake, see the e-brake locks up your 2 back tires, and BMWs being rear wheel drive, you're gonna end up with your engine struggling to keep turning over against the stopping power of your e-brake. If you're in 3rd gear you'll stall right away, not pretty. If you're in 2nd gear, your car will struggle against the e-brake and then stall, even worse. So the lesson here, handbrake goes up--clutch goes down.

Also about the whole flipping thing. If you're worried about flipping, go with the snow training, if you're on flat ground, it's very hard to flip even if you drift at 50mph on snow, wet pavement is a different story, especially if you hit a little dry patch with more grip.

And another reason reason not to be scared of flipping...My friend's dad fell asleep while driving drunk at 155mph on the highway in a 95 Ti. Long story short his gas pedal foot turned into a brick and he woke up in the police station with a receipt from the scrapyard and not a scratch on his body, gotta love the safe little Ti.
buddhajono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
buddhajono

Another thing I'd like to point out, drifting on snow with a 318Ti is pretty much the same as drifting on pavement with a turbo'd M5. Much much different from the wet pavement. The only thing snow has that nothing else but oil spills has, is the sliding. On snow you don't even need a RWD car to drift, it just helps to smooth out of the drift instead of stopping. After the first snowfall I'll post some videos of what a BMW can do in the snow, f'ing good times had by all.
buddhajono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
m3outtanowhere

You cant learn how to drift from a movie...even an instructional video cant help you. The only thing that can teach you is real experience. Take your car to an open wet road when it first rains and crank the wheel...

let us know when a curb arises...j/k
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
pnosker

No offense guys, but maybe it's a good idea for him to be drifting :-p. Maybe with all his money spent up LSD, tires, lowering kit, sway bars... he won't ask dumb questions about his DASC.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #15
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
No offense guys, but maybe it's a good idea for him to be drifting :-p. Maybe with all his money spent up LSD, tires, lowering kit, sway bars... he won't ask dumb questions about his DASC.

Wtf do you have against me?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...