318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 959,356 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,815 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why exactly were you doing 125mph? o_O
I bet NOT drinking coffee.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, why exactly were you doing 125mph? o_O

Anyways, I'm glad you got this resolved. I hope nothing severe happened.
Bwahahahahahaha, oh man, that was perfect, thanks for the laugh.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #18
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiekid View Post
Wow, first, I don't think that was too smart for several reasons, one just being it was the first day you had it. But besides that point, I figured that the gearing would limit our cars to 115 or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <( '.' )> View Post
I dont think so buddy . The car can only go up to 116mph because of the governer. Unless you have a chip or tune for the removal of the governer. Do you have a chip or tuned? I dont know who you were trying to impress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Or going downhill.
the speedometer is not accurate at higher speeds, I thought I had gotten my car up to 120 once, but then I read a thread on this site that said the speeds throw the speedometer reading off, factor in that BMW speedo's are already inaccurate and I can see it reading 125

EDIT: here's the thread
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20170&
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #19
trickiekid

I know that when I am cruising at 85 according to the ti my gps says that I am in fact doing 79.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #20
spidertri

Vehicles

Yeah, most cars read higher than actual speeds to keep the carmakers out of trouble. If they read lower than the actual speed, you could blame speeding tickets on them and such.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #21
aceyx

Changing the tire size will also give a bad speedo reading. I'm pretty sure that the ti is rev-limited instead of speed-limited.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #22
elchicano

I must have missed something. But was caused the wheel to come off?

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #23
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchicano318ti View Post
But was caused the wheel to come off?
Hey, elchican318ti...

Re-read the original post. I don't think the entire wheel came off, just the tire came off the wheel. That's not surprising really. Once an old or low-quality tire loses air pressure, it will often disintegrate and all of it will come off of the wheel.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #24
Maverix

Vehicles

I was going 125 to see how fast I could go before wind resistance would get to me. Was also racing my friends 318i. But yea, for some odd reason, when I follow the speed limit, cars are actually going 5mph faster than me. I really noticed this when I was at a school zone and there was a cop on the side of the road radaring the cars, and cars were passing me.

But something has really stumped me. Once I got a K&N filter, I can no longer hit 125. The closest I have ever hit with the new filter is 110. My gas mileage also slightly dropped. So I might either go with a normal filter, or just get a new intake.

But then again, I'm not sure if my car has had it's chip modded or not. The previous owner had a corvette, firebird, 3 super bikes, and the ti. All of the vehicles except for the ti looked supped up.

Oh, and the reason I was racing was because we were on a safe and secluded road. Was a -5 degree down hill, so you could see all the way to the end of the One Way, 1+ mile road. And no, I DIDN'T have any coffee at the time.

Quick question: When I purchased my car, I noticed it had a weird button on the board, underneath the gas peddle. It has a wire sticking out that goes underneath the board. The button is relatively hard to press with your hand, and a little force is required to press the button with the gas peddle. And this isn't a average button. It like a clicking button. When I drive and put the peddle to the button, I don't notice any difference. So what exactly is it? And what does it do? Could it be a sneaky mechanism the can be hooked up to nitrous?
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #25
elchicano

Quote:
Hey, elchican318ti...

Re-read the original post. I don't think the entire wheel came off, just the tire came off the wheel. That's not surprising really. Once an old or low-quality tire loses air pressure, it will often disintegrate and all of it will come off of the wheel.
Aw i reread it and now i get it. Thats what get for skimming through it. I assumed it was the entire wheel. Then never mind, continue with your argument, i guess.

Maverick let me just say its stupid to be hitting those high speeds when you barely got it. It's also its kinda dumb to race you friend. May i ask for what? I speak from experience i almost died in a car accident due to drag race. You just never know what could happen, things could happen that you may have no power over. Never again will i do it, and never again would i try those speeds on a public road. You don't make yourself look cool, we look down on people that do that stuff. Just hit the tracks it's safer for you and everyone else that could be on the street.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #26
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Aw i reread it and now i get it. Thats what get for skimming through it.
Dude... you missed the best part of what I posted there. Notice anything missing? Perhaps an "o"?? heh heh

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #27
elchicano

haha I get it. My bad just finished two college papers for one class! So im a little out of it right now. I guess i have gotten so used to it that i don't really notice it.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #28
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Aw i reread it and now i get it. Thats what get for skimming through it. I assumed it was the entire wheel. Then never mind, continue with your argument, i guess.

Maverick let me just say its stupid to be hitting those high speeds when you barely got it. It's also its kinda dumb to race you friend. May i ask for what? I speak from experience i almost died in a car accident due to drag race. You just never know what could happen, things could happen that you may have no power over. Never again will i do it, and never again would i try those speeds on a public road. You don't make yourself look cool, we look down on people that do that stuff. Just hit the tracks it's safer for you and everyone else that could be on the street.
I'm an 18 year old. There isn't much I can do but feed my hormones atm lol. I risk my life doing stupid stunts. I'm fully aware that I'm risking my life. We were racing for the love of enjoying high speeds. Call me stupid, but I love living life in the VERY edge. That's why I regret nothing when it comes to driving. Best of all, it has made me plenty experienced compared to the average driver, but nothing compared to the autocross/rally pros.

Speaking of rallying and speeding, my dream is to become a rally racer.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1225 View Post
I'm an 18 year old. There isn't much I can do but feed my hormones atm lol. I risk my life doing stupid stunts. I'm fully aware that I'm risking my life. We were racing for the love of enjoying high speeds. Call me stupid, but I love living life in the VERY edge. That's why I regret nothing when it comes to driving. Best of all, it has made me plenty experienced compared to the average driver, but nothing compared to the autocross/rally pros.

Speaking of rallying and speeding, my dream is to become a rally racer.
Why do you set yourself up like this? You want to enjoy high speeds, do it on a race track. I'm sure at 18 you are an excellent driver. When you get your contract, let us know. I'll reopen the thread then.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Closed Thread