318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,638 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,562 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,811 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
John Firestone

That could signal an internal failure, or that the OBC has never been coded or has lost its coding data. I hope, in your case, it is one of the latter possibilities, as that can be cured by having a dealer recode the unit -- at least that's true for its big brother.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
championc

So I have finally finished the OBC retrofit but not quite with the ease in which I thought at the beginning. I started by replacing the stalk which was straightforward. Armed with the BMW retrofit instructions (referring to the wiring layout on the bottom of page 4, Diagram No.2,

I got the wiring loom and firstly plugged in the OBC unit (a) followed by the connector to the stalk (c). I then joined up the two earth cables (b) to any earth I could find (all earth wires were brown - I never found any Brown/Orange). Next I went for the six wires (d to i) that were to be connected to the fan connector under the instrument panel. On my car, only two strips had space to add another wire so I had to use scotch clips to join the other four onto existing clips. The instructions said to concentrate on the wiring positions and NOT on the colours. However, nowhere could I find anywhere giving a layout of the fan connector so I hadn't a clue where X182, X183, X188 etc were located so I could only go by the matching colours which worked out fine.

Now the fun started. The next one up was the fuel sensor (j). I eventuall located the connector in the footwell but it was impossible to find the cable to snip within the mass of wires. I aborted this and decided to connect it at the back of the instrument panel instead. The wire was Pin 1 on the small black 12 pin connector.

Next up was to get the cables through the bulkhead. I could not release the clasp holding the wiring loom in place. I eventually decided to punch a hole through the same plastic panel under the loom. Installing the temp sensor (n) was easy but the final piece was the TI Sensor (m)

I found the X20 connector under the battery tray. However, plug in station No. 24 was already filled. From wiring diagrams, it would appear that it should be connected to Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector on the rear of the instrumental panel which is what was suggested in Diagram 13.

Hopefully this will prove useful for anyone else who decides to embark on this. It's a piece of cake in hindsight. My problems were so easily solvable but I wasted ages in the first place trying to do things by the book.

Cormac
championc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
Rich

Super write up,

I bought an OBC for my 316 (328) compact of ebay in Germany. It comes with loom, stack, obc unit.

I imagine my install will be similar to yours, start by going by the book, then throw the book out and just wire it in. I already have an mpg wire from installing a new dash with mpg guage. I noticed the other day that I already have a temp sensor in the brake duct so i'll just need to find where the wire goes to.

Did you have any trouble with the coding, or did it just work?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #19
championc

The one I bought was for the same car as mine, a 316i 1.9 so no re-coding necessary. I reckoned that any gains that I might make with buying the bits on eBay could be wiped out by a re-coding by BMW. And you're snookered if they decided to charge you a fortune to re-code it. Be prepared to sell the OBC to buy one already coded for your Compact

The Compact OBC's are very rare on the UK eBay so could get decent price there if needed

C
championc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 AM   #20
Rich

I may end up with a little trouble since my car doesn't exist, originally having an m43b16 now m52b28.

Will see how it goes. Maybe if I leave out the diagnostic link connections (WS/VI & WS/GE) it won't lock up. The other inputs are only simple signals for temperature/speed/mpg/program mode/+ve/-ve/lights on.

Worst comes to worst I can see if I can get a fixed quote from my local BMW to reset the module. I've heard some horrible stories from e46 owners who installed LED tail lights and needed to get the light switch coded & being charged £££ for the privilege.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I imagine my install will be similar to yours, start by going by the book, then throw the book out and just wire it in.
Having been in this situation before, I might instead suggest asking about what you find unclear or wrong in the BMW installation instructions. With one big exception, I haven't read much that was "going by the book" as directed by the instructions. Why? Because the instructions assume you already know "the book" and therefore leave it out!

I think you might have an easier install if you were to ask more questions: to learn the missing book and some tricks and shortcuts you won't find in it. That certainly helped me. But to do that, first one has to become socratic, recognize one's ignorance and ask questions!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post
I found the X20 connector under the battery tray. However, plug in station No. 24 was already filled. From wiring diagrams, it would appear that it should be connected to Pin 25 on the blue 26 pin connector on the rear of the instrumental panel which is what was suggested in Diagram 13.
My ETM shows X17 pin 25 as not used. X20 pin 24 is the 'ti' (fuel injection signal) from the DME.

I have a couple questions:
  • Does your car have an automatic transmission?
  • Is the OBC displaying plausible fuel consumption values?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
Rich

My car did not have any connection on pin 24 on the car loom side of the x20 connector. When I added the MPG gauge dash I had to add an extra connection to pin 24. This was connected to connector x16 pin 21 in the back of the dash. (see here)

I wrote up a comparison on the x20. See here > http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....1&postcount=27
Its a zipped excel file. Other
Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
John Firestone

Right. Cluster connector X16, pin 21 would be the input to the fuel consumption gauge on a saloon, but not, if I make no mistake, on a compact cluster, as it doesn't have one.

You have a manual transmission, yes?

I am sorry that I can't look at your file: it is in a proprietary format.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #25
Rich

Mine car is manual.
Pin 21 on the X16 connector, the ETM for compact shows this as 'not used'. As you mentioned I am using a saloon/coupe dash.

(attachment is the chart saved in a tab delimited text file format)
Attached Files
File Type: txt x20 connector comparison and functions.txt (1.7 KB, 312 views)
Old 03-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #26
John Firestone

Thank you for your answers and the new file. In case you are wondering, since I don't have a compact, I am double checking the documents I do have for errors. From past experience, I know there are a few in there!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #27
L84THSKY

This mod is coming up shortly for me. Are there any lessons learned for those driving a 318ti, manual tranny, USA spec?

I have the BMW OBC retrofit instructions, just haven't read them in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
Thank you for your answers and the new file. In case you are wondering, since I don't have a compact, I am double checking the documents I do have for errors. From past experience, I know there are a few in there!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #28
John Firestone

I believe you will find X20 pin 24 (hanging off the engine-facing wall of the fusebox) is not occupied and that you "only" have to run the corresponding contact to it, unlock X20, add it and relock X20. I expect, you will pass through the left side firewall and fusebox, one of the more exciting paths through the car.

Do you know the standard trick for feeding wires into the fusebox?

I imagine I could off some other suggestions were I to read through the installation instructions. (I am not sure if you just asked.)
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #29
Rich

You could look for an alternative grommet through the firewall into the car. As my car is RHD I had one under the battery tray. For LHD you have the brake cylinder/servo in the way.
You could run the wiring through the engine loom holder to the other side of the car, there should be a grommet over there. In the UK version the outside temperature sensor wire & water pump wires go through there.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #30
Rich

I've just completed the install on my compact. Took a bit of time to get it all wired in. I ended up soldering the fuel level sensor wire into the wire that goes to the instrument cluster. (connector X271 pin 1 (brown/yellow) This is the black connector), other than that I pretty much followed the instructions from the installed guide posted in this thread.

Does anyone know how to change the compact obc from kmh to mph? I'm guessing there is a specail combination of buttons to access the service menu.

The normal menu is accessed by pressing S/R and clock at the same time. Using the indicator button you can move through the menu options. Then with the clock button make changes. To save changes press S/R to cancel changes press the indicator button.

this gives access to :-
# 01 time format (12/24h)
# 02 Display Test
# 03 Usage correction
# 04 shows "LSP" und beeps( no idea what this means?)
# 05 Temperature format